Not logged in. Login - Register

All new registrations need to be approved manually. After registration, mail me at tyblossom at aol dot com.
ChaseChat is available for Smartphones via Tapatalk, Download the app at http://tapatalk.com/m?id=4&referer=1048173. After installing CLICK HERE to add the forum to Tapatalk.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Old quote from Forrest
05-11-2018, 03:21 PM,
Old quote from Forrest
Hi guys,

I am relatively new to this site, so first of all I want to say Hi!

I am from Austria and therefore english is not my mother language. I have troubles understanding one of ff's quotes and would love, if some of you guys could help me with that.

"Hiding the treasure was something else. A few weeks after they told me I was critically ill I wanted to strike out at the tradition that proclaims when a man dies all of his spiritual being halts. At my secret hiding place, as I was closing the chest for the last time, I felt part of me slip inside and become part of the treasure, or at least I thought I did. I’m okay with that now.f"

Could someone please tell me what the exact meaning of the word "halts" in this context means? I interprate it as "stop", but I am not quite sure.

Although I think that all you really need is the poem and that there are no hidden messages or anagrams in his quotes, I believe that it is important to know the exact meaning of "halt" in ff's mind.

Thanks you!
05-11-2018, 05:42 PM,
RE: Old quote from Forrest
(05-11-2018, 03:21 PM)Gravity Wrote: "Hiding the treasure was something else. A few weeks after they told me I was critically ill I wanted to strike out at the tradition that proclaims when a man dies all of his spiritual being halts. At my secret hiding place, as I was closing the chest for the last time, I felt part of me slip inside and become part of the treasure, or at least I thought I did. I’m okay with that now.f"

Could someone please tell me what the exact meaning of the word "halts" in this context means? I interprate it as "stop", but I am not quite sure.

Dunno. I suggest reading TTOTC. Here's a sentence that uses "heavy", "halt" and "bold(er)" three poem words in one sentence, including the one you asked about.

They put heavy doses of saltpeter in the food and built huge bonfires at night so the cadets could herd in close and sing songs like the one Romberg wrote:

Give me some men who are stout-hearted men,
Who will fight, for the right they adore,
Start me with ten who are stout-hearted men,
And I'll soon give you ten thousand more.
Shoulder to shoulder and bolder and bolder,
They grow as they go to the fore.
Then there's nothing in the world can halt or mar a plan,
When stout-hearted men can stick together man to man.
05-11-2018, 06:36 PM,
(05-11-2018, 03:21 PM)Gravity Wrote: Hi guys,

I am relatively new to this site, so first of all I want to say Hi!

I am from Austria and therefore english is not my mother language. I have troubles understanding one of ff's quotes and would love, if some of you guys could help me with that.

"Hiding the treasure was something else. A few weeks after they told me I was critically ill I wanted to strike out at the tradition that proclaims when a man dies all of his spiritual being halts. At my secret hiding place, as I was closing the chest for the last time, I felt part of me slip inside and become part of the treasure, or at least I thought I did. I’m okay with that now.f"

Although I think that all you really need is the poem and that there are no hidden messages or anagrams in his quotes, I believe that it is important to know the exact meaning of "halt" in ff's mind.

Thanks you!

FF's statements are frequently ambiguous but in this case I think you're right. The 'tradition' states that a man's 'spiritual being' (or soul) halts/stops/dies when the man dies...at least that's my interpretation.
05-11-2018, 09:20 PM,
I interpret "halt" to mean "stop".
05-12-2018, 06:19 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-13-2018, 04:56 AM by OmeOmy.)
(05-11-2018, 06:36 PM)J Smith Wrote: FF's statements are frequently ambiguous but in this case I think you're right. The 'tradition' states that a man's 'spiritual being' (or soul) halts/stops/dies when the man dies...at least that's my interpretation.

Gravity,
Regarding your specific question, I believe JSmith has it right and, FWIW, that meaning appears to more or less match the "halt" usage in the poem.

In the broader Chase picture, this statement caught my attention:
"...I believe that it is important to know the exact meaning of "halt" in ff's mind."

IMO, the person who ultimately finds F's treasure will utilize the right mixture of logic, imagination, and perspective in analyzing the poem and when considering each piece of the puzzle contained within. Each component of that mixture is equally important, and perspective may have additional connotations as each puzzle piece is analyzed. IMO, it's important to think not in terms of a searcher trying to find F's treasure, but to imagine being the person cleverly doling out information via a poem that leads to an area containing the final clue that identifies a "special place." I know from personal experience it's very easy to grab hold of what I infer instead of considering the intended implication.

Good luck in your quest.
OO
05-12-2018, 07:00 AM,
Thank you all so much for your answers! They were all very helpful.

@John Brown: I am currently thinking about ordering TTOTC, but it's not like you stumble across the book where I live. Smile

@JSmith: My approach to the chase is the poem and I don't work too much with F's quotes. Because as you said they could have multiple meanings. And as I learned, F is very carefully how he answers and phrases his statements.

@OmeOmy: Haha, I had to google some words to finally understand what you meant there. Thanks for the advice. Starting in the 8th year of the search, knowing that almost all "easy" and apparent answers to the clues are already "found" and someone went BOTG there, coming back with no TC, I really try to look at the big picture. For me the poem looks like a riddle/metaphor. And thats my approach, I guess you have to state some ground rules for yourself or the possibilities are endless.

For example I don't think that you have to read a book about John Meek or Molly Brown unless the poem tells you exactly to do that.

I have so many questions and suggestions guys that I could easily open 20 new Threads, but I don't think this is in the interest of the Forum. As I told you I am from Austria and I am not able/going to the Rockies this year or anytime at all. I just love solving puzzles/riddles. In which form would you suggest to propose my questions? Should I follow up in this thread, or make a new thread with multiple questions?

Thanks!

Michael
05-12-2018, 07:55 AM,
If you want to solve this, you should at least get the book.
05-12-2018, 08:22 AM,
Thanks for your replay Beavertooth!

I really don't mean to be offensive by my following statement, but the search is going on for seven years now and thousands of people have used the book for their solve and they are currently looking in four different states at at least hundreds of different search locations. Apparently the book doesn't make it any easier on narrowing down the location of the TC. If there are any additional clues in the book(and I believe F said that there are "only" hints in the book) you guys have a seven year advantage on me. From what I've read here there are really really intelligent people in this quest and I believe that I wouldn't have any chance, if I start with the book now.

Although I think that you could be right and it is impossible to find the solve without the book, I chose to just use the poem and my imagination. My only problem is that words like "halt" (although it is a german word too) and tarry scant, are hard to translate for me and my first obstacle is to find all the different meanings and interpretations the words in the poem might have.

Michael
05-12-2018, 08:40 AM,
(05-12-2018, 07:00 AM)Gravity Wrote: @John Brown: I am currently thinking about ordering TTOTC, but it's not like you stumble across the book where I live. Smile

You won't stumble across it anywhere. There is essentially only one place you can get the book which is The Collected Works Bookstore in Santa Fe. http://www.collectedworksbookstore.com/p...rrest-fenn

The problem for you is that CW won't ship internationally.

I'll make you the same offer I made to the guy from England who asked me to give him my PDF (which under no conditions will I distribute). Buy the book on line from Collected Works for $35 and you can buy a shipping label from http://www.usps.com. e-mail me the shipping label and I'll pick the book up at CW and drop it at a postoffice for you. no charge. Slightly risky in that you'd have to trust an anonymous stranger on the internet to do what he said he would but the only money you're spending is going to places you can trust.

Another option is to buy it at a large mark up from someone on Amazon.

Regarding the thousands of people who have used the book and failed to find the treasure there are also thousands of people who have not used the book and also failed to find the treasure.
05-12-2018, 08:50 AM,
Thanks for the offer John Brown. That's really generous of you. I'll come back at you if i decide otherwise. I would also pay you some money for doing that for me.

I know my logic had some flaws in the first statement, I'm well aware of that, but nonetheless I am seven years behind on finding every hint in the book(s). The poem otherwise is more straightforward Smile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Forrest Quote About Search Area windjc 1 1,788 09-05-2016, 10:30 AM
Last Post: abex