Not logged in. Login - Register

All new registrations need to be approved manually. After registration, mail me at tyblossom at aol dot com.
ChaseChat is available for Smartphones via Tapatalk, Download the app at http://tapatalk.com/m?id=4&referer=1048173. After installing CLICK HERE to add the forum to Tapatalk.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Poor Eric Sloane, so misunderstood
08-09-2018, 10:23 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-09-2018, 01:03 PM by crazyfamily.)
“I think in some ways I'm a failure because people think I'm a painter of barns and a writer of nostalgia,” he says. “It's not what I've been trying to do. I hate nostalgia. It's a dreaded disease.” Hmm, I don't know what would make people think that!
08-09-2018, 11:49 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-09-2018, 01:07 PM by crazyfamily.)
Wink  Poor Eric Sloane, so misunderstood
Here's an excellent counterpoint to Sloane's Spirit of '76.

https://confusedwoodworker.wordpress.com...ic-sloane/

Quote:"If Sloane were alive, I would point out to him that most modern Americans spend far more time at work than their ancestors did."

"Another issue I have with that comment is Sloane himself. Sloane worked as an artist for his entire life, and later wrote books on subjects like colonial America, woodworking, and barn construction. From what research I’ve done on his life, I can’t find anywhere a history of Sloane working at physical jobs such as farming or construction, yet he seems at ease telling everybody else that they don’t work hard enough. While art work and writing are certainly worth jobs, they are hardly physical labor."

We've had times when we worked two and three jobs that just payed the bills and allowed for a little fun like downtown movies and Dr. Peppers. My own father never worked so much, and yet he held the same beliefs as Sloane. The younger generation doesn't know how to work? Sorry, you guys are wrong.

razyfamily
08-09-2018, 10:19 PM,
RE: Poor Eric Sloane, so misunderstood
Concur
Yesterday, 08:31 AM, (This post was last modified: Yesterday, 09:56 AM by crazyfamily.)
I once complained that patriotism had culminated in the wearing of designer cammo team garb and standing on the sidelines at football games. Military personnel are honored at every event where there are TV cameras. Yes, American patriotism is expressed in "Support Our Troops" as though someone who is opposed to war is un-American. It sounds silly, but this is exactly what America has become.

I don't think any of these sideline modern patriots read Sloane's Spirits of '76.

Quote:I have often quipped that the best way to learn any subject is to write a book about it, and researching early American patriotism was no exception. When I began compiling my group of vanishing spirits with patriotism at the head of my list, I at once began learning. With frequent flag burnings, with the stars and stripes being worn on the backsides of blue jeans and the Pledge of Allegiance ruled out as unconstitutional, I presumed that American patriotism must be at an all-time low, and that it was the national spirit most in need of return. As I researched and analyzed the subject, however, I soon realized that patriotism has become all too closely related with war: the most patriotic people in history (like the Nazis) were always the most warlike and ruthless. Great thinkers, I learned, very often frown upon patriotism, and the more I thought about this spirit, the more I too wondered about its real values. ‘This heroism upon command,’ wrote Einstein, ‘this senseless violence, this accursed bombast of patriotism—how intensely do I despise it!’ One philosopher called patriotism ‘the religion of Hell.’

Eric goes on to find that the definition of the word patriot has changed in the centuries since Americans declared independence, and he decided that respect was a better word to use to define the Spirit of '76. Of course, Eric made some faulty basic assumptions like "the pledge of allegiance ruled out as unconstitutional." Nothing wrong or unconstitutional with the pledge in it's original form. C'mon, Eric.

But Eric is right, respect is a good word to use. The thing about respect is that it is not a mutually exclusive relationship. One must be respectable to elicit respect.

Quote:Stephen Decatur’s ‘Our country right or wrong,’ had often worried me. I found more to my liking, Carl Schurz’s ‘Our Country right or wrong—when right to be kept right and when wrong to be put right.’

Eric is probably rolling in his grave.

[Image: eebb2c41b61509bde214cdd397092616.png]

razyfamily
Yesterday, 01:16 PM,
Why was deepthinkr banned?
Yesterday, 01:28 PM, (This post was last modified: Yesterday, 01:34 PM by pidmt.)
(Yesterday, 01:16 PM)John Brown Wrote: Why was deepthinkr banned?

read his thread interpretations of f comments, i think the mods thought is was racist,its the last post on that thread
Yesterday, 01:40 PM,
(Yesterday, 01:28 PM)pidmt Wrote:

read his thread interpatations of f comments, i think the mods thought is was racist

I read it but I didn't think it was racist. He is horrible at writing "black" dialect though.
Yesterday, 01:47 PM,
(Yesterday, 01:40 PM)John Brown Wrote:
(Yesterday, 01:28 PM)pidmt Wrote:

read his thread interpatations of f comments, i think the mods thought is was racist

I read it but I didn't think it was racist. He is horrible at writing "black" dialect though.

did you read the last post
Yesterday, 01:48 PM, (This post was last modified: Yesterday, 01:53 PM by Beavertooth.)

Partly the racist comments, which he flippantly justified. (his comments are in two different threads, but primarily in Enlightenment .....).

Partly his violation of the repetitive post rule ("One person making repetitive posts or creating many topics repeating the same basic opinion can interfere with others' use of Chase Chat. If this becomes disruptive, it is a violation of the ground rules. ") accentuated by his admission he has been trolling all of us with excessive deceptive posts not meant to be constructive (per Deeep: "Mentally unstable people we're basically ignored and considered harmless within the old First Nations culture. This is the skin I chose to hide under. I have had on-and-off running dialogue with many of you, innocently pandering my snake oil as a guide to check your progress. Two of you, the dialogue was sincere, I needed to keep track of you. The ramblings and crazy talk was my way of keeping the few good hints I dropped as bait from being seriously considered by those who weren't as far.") I considered his tactics to be disruptive of constructive dialogue, and wasteful of forum members time.

He has a six-month timeout. He is welcome back next season if he, and everyone else, fails to find the chest this season. Good luck everyone, including Deeep.
Yesterday, 01:51 PM,
(Yesterday, 01:48 PM)Beavertooth Wrote:

Partly the racist comments, which he flippantly justified.

Partly his violation of the repetitive post rule ("One person making repetitive posts or creating many topics repeating the same basic opinion can interfere with others' use of Chase Chat. If this becomes disruptive, it is a violation of the ground rules. ") accentuated by his admission he has been trolling all of us with excessive deceptive posts not meant to be constructive (per Deeep: "Mentally unstable people we're basically ignored and considered harmless within the old First Nations culture. This is the skin I chose to hide under. I have had on-and-off running dialogue with many of you, innocently pandering my snake oil as a guide to check your progress. Two of you, the dialogue was sincere, I needed to keep track of you. The ramblings and crazy talk was my way of keeping the few good hints I dropped as bait from being seriously considered by those who weren't as far.") I considered his tactics to be disruptive of constructive dialogue, and wasteful of forum members time.

He has a six-month timeout. He is welcome back next season if he, and everyone else, fails to find the chest this season. Good luck everyone, including Deeep.

thanks for clearing things up

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Eric Sloane Mindy 0 376 02-23-2018, 12:38 PM
Last Post: Mindy
  Eric Sloane will197532 30 4,884 02-20-2018, 10:55 PM
Last Post: deb
  Why did Everard Jean Hinrichs take the name Eric Sloane? Milan 2 705 11-03-2017, 08:03 PM
Last Post: Mindy
  was this the red light that sloane was suppose to be waiting on to change pidmt 10 2,436 09-12-2017, 10:50 AM
Last Post: pidmt
  Eric Weaving Copper 0 454 09-03-2017, 04:55 PM
Last Post: Copper
  Is Eric Ashby the Latest to Die Searching Festus 26 6,736 08-15-2017, 02:40 PM
Last Post: Seeker9