Not logged in. Login - Register

All new registrations need to be approved manually. After registration, mail me at tyblossom at aol dot com.
ChaseChat is available for Smartphones via Tapatalk, Download the app at http://tapatalk.com/m?id=4&referer=1048173. After installing CLICK HERE to add the forum to Tapatalk.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Things no one considers
09-11-2018, 10:20 AM,
Things no one considers
Forrest said...

"The clues did not exist when I was a kid but most of the places the clues refer to did. I think they might still exist in 100 years but the geography probably will change before we reach the next millennia. The Rocky mountains are still moving and associated physical changes will surely have an impact. If you are in the year 3,009 it will be more difficult for you to find the treasure.f"

Most interpret this statement to mean that some of the places the clues refer to are new, that is they came into existence since Forrest was a child. But, it's very possible, and highly probable that it means just the opposite. That one or more of the places the cues refer to no longer exist.

razyfamily
09-11-2018, 12:39 PM,
RE: Things no one considers
And did not exist when he was a kid? But existed before that? Like a famous hotel (random example) that burned down before 1930?

Or, more esoteric, the birthplace of a famous person who was born after 1930? That is, the place existed, but perhaps not as a "birthplace" until the famous person was born?

My brain hurts.
09-11-2018, 01:01 PM,
Lol the clues didn’t exist when he was a kid, because he didn’t write the poem until he was an older man... the places the clues refer too did...
09-11-2018, 02:47 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-11-2018, 11:46 PM by crazyfamily.)
Things no one considers
(09-11-2018, 12:39 PM)Beavertooth Wrote: And did not exist when he was a kid? But existed before that? Like a famous hotel (random example) that burned down before 1930?

Or, more esoteric, the birthplace of a famous person who was born after 1930? That is, the place existed, but perhaps not as a "birthplace" until the famous person was born?

My brain hurts.

Yes, exactly.

razyfamily
09-12-2018, 01:30 PM,
IMHO I believe that Fenn is providing good information to assist us in solving the poem. Fenn tells us that the clues did not exist when he was a kid because he did not write the poem at that time. Most of the "places" that the "clues refer to" did exist when he was a kid. This information maybe telling us that the clues are "places with an identifying name on a map." What that might be saying is that if we lookup a historical map and compare it to the current map in a area, we should see new names added to that area.

I also have another thought, is it possible that most of the clues are identify on a map by name and a few are "unnamed places" and can be interpreted by association to a clue? Maybe like a unnamed jeep trail, path, boulder, or the like that stands out in an area and marries with other clues.
09-12-2018, 09:38 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-12-2018, 09:39 PM by crazyfamily.)
Things no one considers
Forrest said...

“The problem searchers make is that they don’t dwell long enough on the first clue. If you can’t find the first clue you don’t have anything. People driving down the street looking for a blaze, because that’s one of the clues, but you can’t start in the middle of the poem and find the treasure.”

So, you must be able to dwell on the first clue.

Quote:dwell
dwel/Submit
verb
formal
live in or at a specified place.
"groups of gypsies still dwell in these caves"

Now isn’t that an interesting definition and sentence usage.

razyfamily
09-12-2018, 10:13 PM,
(09-12-2018, 09:38 PM)crazyfamily Wrote: Forrest said...

“The problem searchers make is that they don’t dwell long enough on the first clue. If you can’t find the first clue you don’t have anything. People driving down the street looking for a blaze, because that’s one of the clues, but you can’t start in the middle of the poem and find the treasure.”

So, you must be able to dwell on the first clue.

Quote:dwell
dwel/Submit
verb
formal
live in or at a specified place.
"groups of gypsies still dwell in these caves"

Now isn’t that an interesting definition and sentence usage.

razyfamily

Old English dwellan "to mislead, deceive," originally "to make a fool of, lead astray," from Proto-Germanic *dwelan "to go or lead astray" (source also of Old Norse dvöl "delay," dvali "sleep;" Middle Dutch dwellen "to stun, make giddy, perplex;" Old High German twellen "to hinder, delay;" Danish dvale "trance, stupor," dvaelbær "narcotic berry," source of Middle English dwale "nightshade"), from PIE *dhwel-, extended form of root *dheu- (1) "dust, cloud, vapor, smoke" (and related notions of "defective perception or wits").
09-12-2018, 10:35 PM,
"Dwell angle is the amount of time, measured as degrees of rotation, that contact breakers close in a distributor."

Could apply, I suppose.
09-13-2018, 12:39 AM,
(09-12-2018, 01:30 PM)Dahana Wrote: IMHO I believe that Fenn is providing good information to assist us in solving the poem. Fenn tells us that the clues did not exist when he was a kid because he did not write the poem at that time. Most of the "places" that the "clues refer to" did exist when he was a kid. This information maybe telling us that the clues are "places with an identifying name on a map." What that might be saying is that if we lookup a historical map and compare it to the current map in a area, we should see new names added to that area.

I also have another thought, is it possible that most of the clues are identify on a map by name and a few are "unnamed places" and can be interpreted by association to a clue? Maybe like a unnamed jeep trail, path, boulder, or the like that stands out in an area and marries with other clues.

Most of the "places" that the "clues refer to" did exist when he was a kid.

It all depends on the wording of his poem.....it's his poem.....it's his clues. Now all we just have to do is find out what Fenn is "referring" to.
09-13-2018, 07:57 AM,
(09-13-2018, 12:39 AM)Gordon Lightfoot Wrote: Most of the "places" that the "clues refer to" did exist when he was a kid.

It all depends on the wording of his poem.....it's his poem.....it's his clues. Now all we just have to do is find out what Fenn is "referring" to.

GF,

You seem to have become Captain Obvious lately. Are you OK?