Not logged in. Login - Register

All new registrations need to be approved manually. After registration, mail me at tyblossom at aol dot com.
ChaseChat is available for Smartphones via Tapatalk, Download the app at http://tapatalk.com/m?id=4&referer=1048173. After installing CLICK HERE to add the forum to Tapatalk.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Therell be no "paddle" up your creek - Wait, what?
07-30-2014, 03:28 AM,

<div class="bbcode_quote_head">Quote:
<b>Quote from samsmith on August 4, 2014, 7:26 pm</b>

IMO...This line of the poem is paraphrasing the old adage..."up the proverbial creek with out a paddle", which means you have a problem(in our case a puzzle) with no apparent solution...The way the line is worded "there'll be no paddle up your creek" means to me that "this line has no part in the solution to your puzzle"...in other words, this line has no value as a clue in itself...

However it could be paired with the next line because of the word "Just", indicating to me that if the former line has no value as a clue, only the words that follow "Just" have meaning as a clue...

..."Just" the way I read it... Smile
</div>

I had read it ... no paddle / punishment ... but a "just" prize .. a heavy load of gold.

( That was a secondary read, not necessary for the flow, but just part of the way Forrest lodes the phrases and flow )
07-30-2014, 04:36 AM,
He also gets paddled for going "down" stairs....right? So if there's no paddle, is he going up?
07-30-2014, 05:31 AM,
It'd be something whippy that's going to bend rather than break - I think I've heard of willow used, maybe hickory. Hedge (Osage orange) would be ideal if not for the thorns. Bet the proper type is mentioned in Tom Sawyer.
07-30-2014, 06:01 AM,
Depending on what literature you read a MACUAHUITL has been described as a paddle with obsidian shards or blades along the sides. A common weapon used by the Aztecs and others who predate the Aztecs. Just brainstorming here.
07-30-2014, 08:33 AM,

No pun ishment, but treasure.

07-30-2014, 08:49 AM,

<div class="bbcode_quote_head">Quote:
<b>Quote from admin on July 30, 2014, 5:36 am</b>

He also gets paddled for going "down" stairs....right? So if there's no paddle, is he going up?
</div>

Could be, especially if stairs creak. Hickory plays big in my solution.

School days, school days, dear old golden rule days, reading and (w)riting and (A)rithmetic, all to the tune of a hickory switch,

you were my queen in calico, I was your bashful barefoot beau, and you wrote on my slate "I love you, Joe" when we were a couple of kids.
07-30-2014, 09:01 AM,
Oh stairs creak....good one.
07-30-2014, 04:16 PM,
like Tomwhat says, the reference to paddle in the book is the hint

no paddle up your creek, one meaning has to do with where warm waters halt

it means there will be no paddling your rump, meaning, it isnt a paddle being used it is something else, and that something else has to do with warm waters halt

08-04-2014, 07:38 AM,
I have often looked at this line as a non-clue. This is one of those lines that I think Forrest laughed at when he wrote it. I believe this line was modified from its' original usage; up a creek without a paddle (which means you are in danger of getting back, or it's a treacherous or arduous way back), up shit creek without a paddle (there is no way back), and the like. All I think Forrest is saying here is that once you get to the spot it really isn't hard to navigate your way back. I really don't believe that it's directional, at least in some of my solves. In my opinion, it's one of those lines that it is intended to be ambiguous (then again they all are). If every line has three meanings and there are nine lines that are clues then we have a 1 in 19,683 chance of finding the trove (1/3 to the ninth power). Perhaps, why we haven't found it yet. Smile
08-04-2014, 08:27 AM,
I need to clarify my statement.......

From there it is no place for the meek

The end is ever drawing nigh

There'll be no paddle up your creek

Just heavy loads and water high

First line I believe is telling us that even though an 80 something guy went there, we should still be careful as there will be many obstacles that could injure.

The end of your quest is near or to the left

Once you get there you can return the same way you arrived

Look out for the obstacles which could be water, rocks, boulders, trees, and the like.

If this is the intention of the line then, in theory it could be a non-clue. So, now if that is not a clue you pick the nine...... Smile

Remember people, just an opinion. Just exploring options as I realize some may not agree.

1. Begin where warm waters halt

2. Take it in the canyon down

3. Not far but too far to walk

4 Put in below home of Brown

5. From there it is no place for the meek

6. Heavy loads and water high

7. Wise and found blaze

8. Effort will be worth the cold

9. Brave and in the wood

Note: look quickly down your quest to cease is probably a clue. If it is then I believe we take out no place for meek because we know we are not meek for taking on this life-consuming adventure.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Wait! Back to the museum! TrapperJ 11 531 09-14-2017, 04:57 AM
Last Post: ROLL TIDE
  no paddle EastonS19 4 411 08-03-2017, 03:08 PM
Last Post: pidmt
  No Paddle up your creek..... Gordon Lightfoot 7 1,235 07-03-2017, 08:16 AM
Last Post: Mindy
  No paddle up your creek 2cents 3 947 04-19-2017, 11:20 PM
Last Post: 2cents
  Do I buy the book? Or wait on others to post free clues for me Code Fenn 22 4,309 04-27-2016, 07:37 AM
Last Post: Buddy Allen
  An uphill climb (without a paddle) liv42dy 2 485 07-05-2015, 10:44 AM
Last Post: true north