Not logged in. Login - Register

All new registrations need to be approved manually. After registration, mail me at tyblossom at aol dot com.
ChaseChat is available for Smartphones via Tapatalk, Download the app at http://tapatalk.com/m?id=4&referer=1048173. After installing CLICK HERE to add the forum to Tapatalk.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Therell be no "paddle" up your creek - Wait, what?
08-04-2014, 06:26 PM,
IMO...This line of the poem is paraphrasing the old adage..."up the proverbial creek with out a paddle", which means you have a problem(in our case a puzzle) with no apparent solution...The way the line is worded "there'll be no paddle up your creek" means to me that "this line has no part in the solution to your puzzle"...in other words, this line has no value as a clue in itself...

However it could be paired with the next line because of the word "Just", indicating to me that if the former line has no value as a clue, only the words that follow "Just" have meaning as a clue...

Also IMO the words "and water high" tell me that this reference to a natural feature is the same as above in line five(warm waters) and are no more than distraction from the true meaning of the lines where they occur and are also valueless as part of a clue...

That said the only part of the two lines(11 & 12) that have any meaning to me are the words "Just heavy loads"..."Just" the way I read it... Smile
08-04-2014, 06:39 PM,

<div class="bbcode_quote_head">Quote:
<b>Quote from samsmith on August 4, 2014, 7:26 pm</b>

The way the line is worded "there'll be no paddle up your creek" means to me that "this line has no part in the solution to your puzzle"...in other words, this line has no value as a clue in itself...
</div>
So you are saying Forrest Fenn purposely wasted a line in the poem? This has no link at all to your solution?
08-05-2014, 10:05 AM,
That's interesting Muset, but I think a lot of you are not thinking like a fly fisherman thinks. He speaks volumes about using his rubber raft or dingy and floating down the river, then finding a creek or stream dumping into the main river. This is where the fishing is best, and where you abandon your raft or other conveyance, and your paddle, and wade in search of the largest fish, lying in that special deep, cold pool, waiting to nail the first unfortunate insect that lands near. A real fisherman will follow the stream to it's source so as not to miss out on that last, large pool of undisturbed water, perhaps lying there since time began, and holding a trophy trout in it's depths.

Here is where you will find the treasure, the same as when FF discovered it for the very first time, and said to himself, what a great spot, probably right after he landed one of the largest trout he ever caught in his life......Heaven to a real fisherman..... IMHO.
08-05-2014, 11:52 AM,
Thanks Ripsaw. I'm starting to lean your way on the fishing angle. So you leave your equipment at the bottom by the river, and hike up to the source/lake at the top. It makes sense.
08-05-2014, 01:03 PM,
I like where this is going, confirming my own suspicions.

Do you take the main channel all the way up, or do you follow the feeder washes?
08-05-2014, 02:13 PM,

IMO...This line of the poem is paraphrasing the old adage..."up the proverbial creek with out a paddle", which means you have a problem(in our case a puzzle) with no apparent solution...The way the line is worded "there'll be no paddle up your creek" means to me that "this line has no part in the solution to your puzzle"...in other words, this line has no value as a clue in itself...

However it could be paired with the next line because of the word "Just", indicating to me that if the former line has no value as a clue, only the words that follow "Just" have meaning as a clue...

..."Just" the way I read it... Smile
</div>

I had read it ... no paddle / punishment ... but a "just" prize .. a heavy load of gold.

( That was a secondary read, not necessary for the flow, but just part of the way Forrest lodes the phrases and flow )

08-05-2014, 07:31 PM,

<b>Quote from Going for Guns on August 4, 2014, 7:39 pm</b>
<div class="bbcode_quote">

The way the line is worded "there'll be no paddle up your creek" means to me that "this line has no part in the solution to your puzzle"...in other words, this line has no value as a clue in itself...
</div>
So you are saying Forrest Fenn purposely wasted a line in the poem? This has no link at all to your solution?</div>
</div>

Yes, Guns..That is what I'm saying and it isn't the only wasted line in my solution, there is another one...

I said it has no value as a clue in itself, didn't say it did not have a link, just not in the way you would expect...Just not as a clue...

In my solution, which I admit is a unique approach to the poem, the references to natural topographical or geological features is mostly a distraction from the true meanings of the lines wherein they are found...They exist in the poem, but not on a map...Only the search location is a place on a map, at least to me, and it is well hidden within the poem...

In my solution, I found a key and unlocked the poem to reveal what was hidden inside...Words not seen any other way which tell me where to go, the search location...And WWWH is the starting point, but there is no water of any type at this place...

I know this doesn't make sense to anyone but me...Maybe that will change at a later date... Smile
08-05-2014, 07:50 PM,
"Yes, Guns..That is what I'm saying and it isn't the only wasted line in my solution, there is another one...

And WWWH is the starting point, but there is no water of any type at this place..." SS

wow...Gutsiest move I ever seen Mav
08-05-2014, 08:00 PM,

<b>Quote from samsmith on August 5, 2014, 8:31 pm</b>

</div>
So you are saying Forrest Fenn purposely wasted a line in the poem? This has no link at all to your solution?</div>
</div>

Yes, Guns..That is what I'm saying and it isn't the only wasted line in my solution, there is another one...

I said it has no value as a clue in itself, didn't say it did not have a link, just not in the way you would expect...Just not as a clue...

In my solution, which I admit is a unique approach to the poem, the references to natural topographical or geological features is mostly a distraction from the true meanings of the lines wherein they are found...They exist in the poem, but not on a map...Only the search location is a place on a map, at least to me, and it is well hidden within the poem...

In my solution, I found a key and unlocked the poem to reveal what was hidden inside...Words not seen any other way which tell me where to go, the search location...And WWWH is the starting point, but there is no water of any type at this place...

I know this doesn't make sense to anyone but me...Maybe that will change at a later date... Smile</div>
</div>

Sam, your solution makes perfect sense to me. I too see things hidden in the poem by the distracting use of flamboyant phrasing. It took me years of looking at the damn thing before I started to see the infrastructure hidden under the flashy facade. I'm not sure all the prominent features should be ignored. I see the hidden clues more as defining the starting point for following the prominent clues. They narrow down near infinite possibilities to very few, or even only one.

mdavis19
08-05-2014, 10:37 PM,

<b>Quote from samsmith on August 5, 2014, 8:31 pm</b>

</div>
</div>

I know this doesn't make sense to anyone but me...Maybe that will change at a later date... Smile</div>
</div>

You make complete sense to me. I'm just glad I live closer, Mr. Smith. You made my previous point for me; however, much more eloquently. Smile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Wait! Back to the museum! TrapperJ 11 522 09-14-2017, 04:57 AM
Last Post: ROLL TIDE
  no paddle EastonS19 4 411 08-03-2017, 03:08 PM
Last Post: pidmt
  No Paddle up your creek..... Gordon Lightfoot 7 1,235 07-03-2017, 08:16 AM
Last Post: Mindy
  No paddle up your creek 2cents 3 947 04-19-2017, 11:20 PM
Last Post: 2cents
  Do I buy the book? Or wait on others to post free clues for me Code Fenn 22 4,307 04-27-2016, 07:37 AM
Last Post: Buddy Allen
  An uphill climb (without a paddle) liv42dy 2 485 07-05-2015, 10:44 AM
Last Post: true north