Not logged in. Login - Register

All new registrations need to be approved manually. After registration, mail me at tyblossom at aol dot com.
ChaseChat is available for Smartphones via Tapatalk, Download the app at http://tapatalk.com/m?id=4&referer=1048173. After installing CLICK HERE to add the forum to Tapatalk.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does everyone...
05-20-2017, 12:21 AM,
RE: Does everyone...
I have had a bunch of different solves, all taking the same basic approach - throw some spaghetti on the wall and see what sticks. THEN the poem suddenly made sense, it told me where I need to go - an amazing feeling that I do think I could only arrive at by trial and error, playing with the meaning of words, etc.....one day, it just made sense and now it's what I consider my "solid solve" and I'll be out looking in the area I need to go next week (if the weather finally cooperates, which the forecast says it will).
05-20-2017, 07:22 AM,
I can't shake my solution because there's no better fit, but the angle of "seeing animals" is not there, and that's just enough to make it wrong. But the place has since become my spot and is now special to me. Sloshing up a creek with a waterfall ahead of me and nobody else around, just wow.

Regards,

ws
05-20-2017, 07:39 AM,
John,
Tell me about your computer algorithm... did you simply put the text of the 2 books and poem in?
I would imagine the computer would chose something near west Yellowstone right?
Ω  200 ft. Club  Ω
05-20-2017, 08:32 AM,
(05-20-2017, 07:39 AM)decall Wrote: John,
Tell me about your computer algorithm... did you simply put the text of the 2 books and poem in?
Decall, my undergrad is in computer science, and one of the first things you learn about programming is an algorithm is only as good as the programmer or more specifically their assumptions.
05-20-2017, 09:00 AM,
(05-20-2017, 07:39 AM)decall Wrote: John,

Hi decall, he may be applying data science techniques, e.g., text analytics, to make sense of all the information. It's much more than word frequencies or simple pattern matching. You are correct because you basically start with a corpus (the two books, the poem, forum contents) and try to derive high-quality information.

You can learn more about it here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Text_mining

Regards,

ws
05-20-2017, 11:54 AM,
What we learned from Deep Blue, was that the key break-through came because other chess experts were able to put the correct values on the correct pieces and positions... like the value of king cover. I've heard that modern chess engines put a very very large number value on the king so the computer can give it the proper context.
This essentially is my question for John Brown.... how does he assign the correct values on the existing words??
We are all computers with our own algorithms.... all trying to determine what is important....
the fallacy is our pre-conceived notions of what is important
trying to read the mind of Fenn
Ω  200 ft. Club  Ω
05-21-2017, 07:20 AM,
"...trying to read the mind of Fenn" with a twist, where do we learn to do that?

Ahhh, but knowing the answer to "How did you find Brown?"

200 ft....went right past.... oh my!(chucklesnickersnortsnort...)

2400 inches Club
05-22-2017, 12:32 PM,
I have some familiarity with Data Science & Machine Learning. In my opinion the poem can't be solved using Natural Language Processing (NLP) Machine Learning techniques.
05-22-2017, 11:32 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-23-2017, 12:12 AM by Andrew Jef.)
(05-18-2017, 01:18 PM)Indy Wrote:
(05-18-2017, 09:58 AM)crazyfamily Wrote: ...change their solution, wwwh, first clue, approach, interpretation or put-in every time Forrest opens his mouth? Seems to me the problem is short attention span or Search Chameleons. Imagine if the ones who had solved two clues had not given up on their spot...

This is a valid question with no easy answer. There is no real confirmation that a person's wwwh and/or first clue is correct regardless of what anyone believes and spending 4 years using an incorrect first clue will lead to nowhere. I have never given up on any solution, but I change my mind depending on my latest research. So I might have 2 clues, 4 clues or even the whole thing solved and then move on because I couldn't confirm anything. That is the reality of a 9 clue treasure hunt, but could be a flaw in my technique and style.

I'm like an elephant and never forget a solution or place. But I'm not free to wander the Rockies for 3 or 4 months a year to check every one of my ideas against the places I like. Instead, I've created a framework on which to work and within those boundaries I create possible solutions. This way I can adapt and change my clue solutions but never start over from scratch because my new solutions can't violate the boundaries I have set. Lately, I have found my ideas converging onto a much smaller set of conditions that may allow me to finally have some confidence in my physical search for more clues in the Rockies.

And, sometimes I have a solution that I walk away from and then later find something in the poem that tells me I was on the right path. But without my searching for new solutions I would have never found the critical piece that not only led me to the original clue I had solved, but the next clue as well. So having the right answer is much different than having the right answer and knowing why it's the correct one.

I'm only part time on this now and spend a few hours a week at the most, but I find a few hours makes for quality over quantity and allows me to think clearly anytime I decide to look into a new idea or read these blogs.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Indy, I don't think these blogs will help you solve the poem. I suggest
you spend more time independently working on a solve, instead of
reading what the "7 percenters" come up with. I think 7 percent is a way LOW estimate, by the way.

The above is my opinion. Yours may differ.

(05-18-2017, 01:19 PM)prehistoric Wrote:
(05-18-2017, 10:48 AM)Milan Wrote: Nope, I've had the same solve for 4 years. Unfortunately, I had a lot of trouble pinpointing the precise chest location.

I can relate to this. Just because you were wise and found the blaze doesn't mean you can go and pick up the treasure. It might be a little tougher than that. Have you used marvel gaze?

----------------------------------------------------------------------

prehistoric, "marvel gaze" supports the location near the CORRECT
blaze. If this doesn't work for you, you haven't found the blaze that
FF was talking about in his poem.

The part about "wise" is also very, very critical to it all. And the word "wise" was used in a very out-of-the-box, sneaky way by FF. This
will be explained shortly after the TC is found.

All in my opinion.

(05-19-2017, 11:05 PM)prehistoric Wrote:
(05-19-2017, 06:41 PM)John Brown Wrote:
(05-18-2017, 01:18 PM)Indy Wrote:
(05-18-2017, 09:58 AM)crazyfamily Wrote: ...change their solution, wwwh, first clue, approach, interpretation or put-in every time Forrest opens his mouth? Seems to me the problem is short attention span or Search Chameleons. Imagine if the ones who had solved two clues had not given up on their spot...

This is a valid question with no easy answer. There is no real confirmation that a person's wwwh and/or first clue is correct regardless of what anyone believes

This is not really correct. Once you have found the beginning you will find ample confirmation. I wrote a computer program that found the beginning. It cranked for a while and out popped a ranked list. The winner was head and shoulders above its closest competitor. I started exploring that area from the comfort of my couch and low an behold ever more confirmation popped up. I know you won't believe this but I don't really care if you believe it. I do know how automatic learning works and have written 5-10 papers on it. Learning is in fact possible.

My program didn't tell me where the chest was but it told me where to start. Others found it too. Of that I am sure. I imagine some found it because they were intimate with the area to begin with. I expect others found it by dumb luck. I'm not sure how many but I would not be surprised to learn that it was well into the tens: 10, 20, 30, 50, 70, 90, 100. It might even be hundreds although I don't know that. I suspect some have known it for 5-6 years. One still has to free ones mind enough to solve the poem but knowing the start and knowing what some stuff means is a leg up.

OK, I think I might actually believe this because it rings true to me. I also think tens or maybe even hundreds understand the first two clues and many have known for years, and some of them know because of where they live. But to figure it out with a computer program? That's fascinating. I would love to hear some hints on how that was done.

I agree with you though, once you find the beginning, you will find ample confirmation.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Ample confirmation consists of finding the TC.

(05-20-2017, 12:21 AM)RahRah Wrote: I have had a bunch of different solves, all taking the same basic approach - throw some spaghetti on the wall and see what sticks. THEN the poem suddenly made sense, it told me where I need to go - an amazing feeling that I do think I could only arrive at by trial and error, playing with the meaning of words, etc.....one day, it just made sense and now it's what I consider my "solid solve" and I'll be out looking in the area I need to go next week (if the weather finally cooperates, which the forecast says it will).

---------------------------------------------------------------------

RahRah, please be careful hiking. The ground is likely to be muddy and
very slippery this time of year.

(05-20-2017, 07:22 AM)waveseeker Wrote: I can't shake my solution because there's no better fit, but the angle of "seeing animals" is not there, and that's just enough to make it wrong. But the place has since become my spot and is now special to me. Sloshing up a creek with a waterfall ahead of me and nobody else around, just wow.

Regards,

ws

waveseeker, FF didn't say that animals would be CONTINUALLY in view if
he was at the hidey spot.

A typical wilderness area, if one watches long enough, will provide a view of animals.

Please remember that FF is a relatively uneducated millionaire. I think
you underestimate his ability to mislead - while not telling outright lies.

All my opinion.

(05-20-2017, 11:54 AM)decall Wrote: What we learned from Deep Blue, was that the key break-through came because other chess experts were able to put the correct values on the correct pieces and positions... like the value of king cover. I've heard that modern chess engines put a very very large number value on the king so the computer can give it the proper context.
This essentially is my question for John Brown.... how does he assign the correct values on the existing words??
We are all computers with our own algorithms.... all trying to determine what is important....
the fallacy is our pre-conceived notions of what is important
trying to read the mind of Fenn

decall, generally I'm not a big fan of "trying to read the mind of" anyone.
But here's a (small) freebie from me: If you do this, it may help you to
put yourself in the shoes of an American guy who was born in 1930. I
have mentioned this several times on the blogs. Think in terms of
American popular culture while FF was growing up, okay? I said "small".