Not logged in. Login - Register

All new registrations need to be approved manually. After registration, mail me at tyblossom at aol dot com.
ChaseChat is available for Smartphones via Tapatalk, Download the app at http://tapatalk.com/m?id=4&referer=1048173. After installing CLICK HERE to add the forum to Tapatalk.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The consensus question
01-13-2018, 07:00 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-13-2018, 07:42 AM by OmeOmy.)
RE: The consensus question
(01-12-2018, 05:44 AM)AccountAtAGlance Wrote: Do you think there could ever be a consensus regarding the location of the treasure before someone provides proof of such, or Fenn reveals the location?...

So, to reiterate the question, could there ever be a consensus on the location with no hard evidence that the treasure ever was at the proposed place?

Hey AAAG,
I'm not bashing your thoughts on this matter or trying to hijack this thread. I'm responding only from a different perspective and hopeful I'm able to construct this as other than negative.

On many occasions while contemplating The Chase, I've realized how F's treasure hunt has, in many ways, become a microcosm of the human experience. My pitiable brain jumped out to about 30K feet when I read the OP, and it made me aware of a fallacy of critical thinking, or perhaps it's a lack thereof. My thoughts were quickly drawn to the 'echo chamber' effect and it's ability to influence a mind based on certain perceptions that lead to certain beliefs, and these perceptions and beliefs may be based on half-truths and/or complete fabrications absent any basis in fact.

So, questions back to you are: "How much influence do we allow consensus to have in our perception of the world around us? Is perception reality? Are facts important? Are we seeing the real world, or the world someone or others want us to see?"

Forrest once said (paraphrased): "It doesn't matter who you are, it matters only who they think you are." From what perspective should we consider this comment? Is F really saying 'it's OK to be fake', or is he hinting at issues relevant to questions in the previous paragraph?

In answer to your question, I'll say no, consensus is not possible without first constructing an echo chamber...
OO
01-13-2018, 10:30 AM,
(01-13-2018, 07:00 AM)OmeOmy Wrote: Forrest once said (paraphrased): "It doesn't matter who you are, it matters only who they think you are." From what perspective should we consider this comment? Is F really saying 'it's OK to be fake', or is he hinting at issues relevant to ...

My understanding of the "It doesn't matter who are you are" part is that "who you are" is how you see yourself. So "It doesn't matter who you are" means it doesn't matter how you see yourself. The second part "it only matters who they think you are" means that the only thing that matters is how others (the world) see you.

How others see you is determined by how you interact with the world. The tricky bit is that you know things about yourself that no one else knows. So it can happen that the world thinks you a beautiful soul even though you're really an evil son of a bitch with a smiling face. The world simply doesn't know of all the pain you've caused. Or perhaps the world thinks you an evil son of a bitch because you have a belligerent and unfriendly demeanor but the world doesn't know of all your unheralded acts of kindness which you keep to yourself.
01-13-2018, 10:46 AM,
(01-12-2018, 08:26 PM)AccountAtAGlance Wrote:
(01-12-2018, 08:55 AM)Indy Wrote: ... I'm skeptical given the vagueness of the poem.

I do believe the poem, just by itself, can be considered quite vague. If details of the poem are associated strongly with a map, however, the picture could become quite a bit more focused. Is there a possibility that such an interpretation, not yet widely known, could establish a consensus?

I think this is right, for the most part, if the finder of the tc doesn't reveal the hidey spot.
Consensus would require another searcher with the same solve to come forward with the solution.
Even though you would never know for sure that the second searcher's solve was right, the solution may be so obvious that everyone would agree it is probably correct(consensus).
The problem is without knowing the tc was there for sure, consensus could be achieved with an incorrect solve too.
Favorite ff quote: .... When these guys are making a mistake I don’t want to interrupt them. -Forrest Fenn

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  5 years...no consensus romeofoxtrot 40 17,765 04-23-2016, 12:42 PM
Last Post: romeofoxtrot
  What was the general consensus on this object? true north 38 7,677 04-15-2015, 10:05 AM
Last Post: boomergirl