ChaseChat - Treasure Chat
Important Literature - TIME magazine? - Printable Version

+- ChaseChat - Treasure Chat (https://www.chasechat.com)
+-- Forum: Forum (https://www.chasechat.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Archived Forrest Fenn Categories (https://www.chasechat.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=36)
+---- Forum: TTOTC Stories (https://www.chasechat.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=19)
+---- Thread: Important Literature - TIME magazine? (/showthread.php?tid=1118)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Important Literature - TIME magazine? - Buddy Allen - 03-15-2014

<div class="bbcode_quote_head">Quote:
<b>Quote from mdavis19 on March 14, 2014, 7:22 pm</b>

I like your idea of a "great connector." That makes a lot of sense to me. There is a person who keeps popping up in my research who fits that description. He seems to have had dealings with everyone else who shows up in my research, and lived in the area I am focused on. I think I know which John Charles you are referring to. He also had dealings with my great connector person.

mdavis19
</div>

How do you connect F and C to the poem?

Important Literature - TIME magazine? - Cloudcover - 03-15-2014

I don't get C's name per se from the poem but I can this person to the WWWH because of the history of the place and a certain event that took place there and what that event sparked next. C is indirectly linked to the poem in lines such as no place for the meek and no paddle up your creek. Both F and C are indirectly linked through in lines like if you been wise and found the blaze and so on.

Important Literature - TIME magazine? - mdc777 - 03-15-2014

F and C? What are we talking about? I thought it was John Charles?

Important Literature - TIME magazine? - mdavis19 - 03-15-2014

<b>Quote from mdc777 on March 15, 2014, 5:41 pm</b>

F and C? What are we talking about? I thought it was John Charles?
</div>

Easy enough to guess.

mdavis19

Important Literature - TIME magazine? - Ripsaw - 03-16-2014

Sorry folks, once again the devils advocate here. But I am not buying it at all. That FF ever threw "any" book in the trash, is nonsense. Maybe he threw it in the pile of books he considered trash, but not the literal trash can.

Here is a guy that worked hard and scrapped for everything he ever got in life. He collects tiny pieces of rock and keeps tons of things, he is a pack rat, no offense intended. A man like that would never waste or throw out anything worth value to someone else, in the trash. He would have saved it, have it carried over to the bookstore, or flea market to sell for something, to someone, or traded it....... Grab All the Bananas !

Important Literature - TIME magazine? - Cloudcover - 03-16-2014

Well I'm not sure I know who you are disagreeing with but I dont believe he threw anything away either at least not in a place he couldnt retrieve it. I think l have said as much.

Important Literature - TIME magazine? - Old Timer - 03-16-2014

You are correct gentlemen. No books were literally thrown in the trash. As a matter of fact, I would put the "fact vs fiction" percentage much higher than the 85/15 percentage he attributes to an author of fact vs and author of fiction. This slyly entitled "Memoir" is, on the balance, a work of fiction.

Important Literature - TIME magazine? - mdavis19 - 03-16-2014

<b>Quote from Old Timer on March 16, 2014, 4:39 pm</b>

You are correct gentlemen. No books were literally thrown in the trash. As a matter of fact, I would put the "fact vs fiction" percentage much higher than the 85/15 percentage he attributes to an author of fact vs and author of fiction. This slyly entitled "Memoir" is, on the balance, a work of fiction.
</div>

Not only do I not believe he threw away any books, but I also seriously doubt he had to go to Borders in the rain to buy copies of the books in question, or that he was so ignorant of their authors and content. Forrest is by his own admission a collector of and dealer in books, and has been for a long time. I believe it is one of Dal's videos where he explains that he used to get boxes and boxes of books from estate agents cleaning out houses. He would sort through them, research them, resell them, and keep the best for his own personal collection. I don't know what the ratio of fact vs. fiction is in most of the other chapters, but in Important Literature, I would agree that fiction predominates.

mdavis19

Important Literature - TIME magazine? - Chris Yates - 03-17-2014

maybe he got the 85 15 mixed up, which one was fact and which one was fiction

or maybe it was a hint, the hint being 85 percent of (the) time

Important Literature - TIME magazine? - deb - 03-17-2014

Im going back on the record as saying if you look at the description of the "books" he is talking about virtual trash, and the difference between a laptop and a tablet. The girl who knew where everything was is a search engine, the clerk who announces is a program. The last page with the trees all cut down is commentary on not needing to cut down trees to convey the content of books. Everything is not always as it seems. Where was the last Borders store where the clerk stood around drinking coffee from a cup that covered her face? Hmmm think about it.

The literature section is valid but is also an indication to use your computers to research. Smile