ChaseChat - Treasure Chat
Important Literature - TIME magazine? - Printable Version

+- ChaseChat - Treasure Chat (https://www.chasechat.com)
+-- Forum: Forum (https://www.chasechat.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Archived Forrest Fenn Categories (https://www.chasechat.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=36)
+---- Forum: TTOTC Stories (https://www.chasechat.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=19)
+---- Thread: Important Literature - TIME magazine? (/showthread.php?tid=1118)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Important Literature - TIME magazine? - mdavis19 - 03-17-2014

So it is valid, but it is full of made up metaphors for other things? Can't have it both ways, Deb. Either it is fiction, or it isn't.

mdavis19

<div class="bbcode_quote_head">Quote:
<b>Quote from Chris Yates on March 17, 2014, 2:23 am</b>

maybe he got the 85 15 mixed up, which one was fact and which one was fiction

or maybe it was a hint, the hint being 85 percent of (the) time
</div>

Forrest said (paraphrasing) "Everybody knows non-fiction writers only have to be accurate 85% of the time." Well everybody doesn't know any such thing. There is a famous 85% vs 15% phrase used in the literary community, but it doesn't concern accuracy or correctness. Forrest has purposely misquoted it (more like totally re-written it) to serve his own ends and imply that TTOTC is at least 85% accurate. But it is the plethora of blatant factual errors, and sharp contrasts between what is in TTOTC and what Forrest has said and written on other occasions that turned me into a poem purist. The (mis)information in Forrest's books simply can't be trusted.

mdavis19

Important Literature - TIME magazine? - Old Timer - 03-17-2014

The only true misinformation in the book is clearly revealed by the author with several confirmations. Page 52 in TTOTC is one example of such and there are others. Mastro Geppetto would be proud Smile.

Important Literature - TIME magazine? - Cloudcover - 03-17-2014

I'm not really in the intentional misinformation camp. I'm more like, "well this looks to be an error but that's only what it looks like. How is it true? And I try to see it from that angle. like For whom the bell tolls being about a guy who drove an ambulance in world war I and fell in love with a nurse. How is that true? Mr. Fenn, I think, gives some hint that that's how he wants us to see things. For example, Ms. Ford asks Forrest if he is sleeping, he replies, no maam and she states well your eyes were closed and he states, no maam, my eyes are open only my eyelids were closed.

Important Literature - TIME magazine? - Buddy Allen - 03-17-2014

Our job is sorting the clues from the red herrings. "The truth....is a beautiful and terrible thing, and should therefore be treated with great caution." Dumbledore

http://www.hp-lexicon.org/essays/puzzles2.html

Important Literature - TIME magazine? - deb - 03-17-2014

No kidding , I wonder about people who insist every word written has to be nothing but the truth? Getting people to think seems to be the purpose of the chapter. Forrest is a storyteller, like all good story tellers he is trying to steer thoughts on his ship. But it is HIS ship and maybe a bit of trust is needed on this voyage.

He said look at the odd things, the things that stick with you. How much more is needed? Smile

Important Literature - TIME magazine? - Cloudcover - 03-17-2014

I don't insist every word written has to be nothing but the truth. I understand that stories of one's past years are going to contain some desrepancies because our memories fade and accuracy can not be 100%. But Mr. Fenn himself said he did not alter any story to insert a clue(paraphrasing) so I take that to mean the stories are his stories, true to the best of his knowledge and memory. I too look at the odd things in his books and believe they mean something. He is trying to get your attention. I just don't believe he's lying to get your attention.

<div class="bbcode_quote_head">Quote:
<b>Quote from locolobo on March 17, 2014, 10:55 am</b>

TTOTC is a memoir: An account of the personal experiences of an author. Forrest writes as he "remembers" the experiences.

Mark Twain said it best, "Admitting that his recollections may stretch the truth a bit ("When I was younger, I could remember it, whether it happened or not").

Also by Mark Twain, “The older I get, the more clearly I remember things that never happened.”

Forrest is fond of quotes, wonder if he has also studied Mark Twain sayings.....LOL Smile
</div>

Obvious references to Mark Twain are conspicuous by their absence form Forrest's writing, which makes me wonder if he maybe is important somehow. Mark Twain was one of those people who managed to be everywhere and meet everyone in his day. He is one of those "great connector" people we discussed in another thread.

mdavis19

Aside from his wife and daughters, just about everyone he mentions in TTOTC is dead. I think he even says something to that effect in the book. I took that as a bit of a warning that Forrest was free to take great liberties in the book, and not get called on it by the other people mentioned in the stories. There's nobody left to hold him to the 85% accuracy goal.

mdavis19

Important Literature - TIME magazine? - musstag - 03-18-2014

I have thought that the description of another book for the given description of FWTBT by Forrest was to tell us that Imagination is more important than Knowledge. Which is also stated elsewhere in TTOTC. So, would he be making that point twice, or is the books description swaps MEAN or HINT at something else? Is so, then what?