ChaseChat - Treasure Chat
The Nine Clue List - Printable Version

+- ChaseChat - Treasure Chat (https://www.chasechat.com)
+-- Forum: Forum (https://www.chasechat.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.chasechat.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: The Nine Clue List (/showthread.php?tid=1128)

The Nine Clue List - Guest - 04-21-2014

mdavis19,

How would it make you feel if the 9 clues were that simple/straightforward and you insisted on over thinking it?

The Nine Clue List - mdavis19 - 04-22-2014

<div class="bbcode_quote_head">Quote:
<b>Quote from The Wolf on April 21, 2014, 9:27 pm</b>

mdavis19,

How would it make you feel if the 9 clues were that simple/straightforward and you insisted on over thinking it?
</div>

Wolf, I'd feel pretty dumb if that's the way it turned out and someone else beat me to the treasure. But a few years of people (myself included) following the "clues" as if they are simple/straightforward hasn't gotten anyone to the final object of the chase. Time for some out of the box thinking.

mdavis19

The Nine Clue List - Guest - 04-22-2014

mdavis19,

It is interesting how you stated that. I have a theory that one's initial instincts are correct but they got a few of the clues incorrect and or they simply applied it in the wrong geographical area. Rather than ensuring all possible locations are examined, there is an premature move to get overly creative rather than solve the one illusive clue or location.

If my theory is correct, eventually they return to the initial or more natural way of looking at it once the overly creative method also fails. Just an observation on human behaviour I noted but time will tell whether this concept has any merit. I for one feel the need to throttle the imagination back just a tad and get back to basics, it will be interesting to see if this proves fruitful.

The Wolf

The one thing that has bothered me the most, is why are we all are looking in different states? 4 years in the running and still no consensus on a single state. If the poem was straight forwards would we not know, at the very least, the state to search? what are we missing has far as a starting point that can't bring it down to a state. Is it NM just because FF mentioned Santa Fe and lives there?

So I throw this question out there [ to all ]. Is your starting point in your theory in one state or even out side the 4 states, but the ending in another?

<b>Quote from The Wolf on April 22, 2014, 8:04 am</b>

mdavis19,

It is interesting how you stated that. I have a theory that one's initial instincts are correct but they got a few of the clues incorrect and or they simply applied it in the wrong geographical area. Rather than ensuring all possible locations are examined, there is an premature move to get overly creative rather than solve the one illusive clue or location.
</div>

I don't recall stating that. Maybe it was Seeker or someone else participating in this thread.

If my theory is correct, eventually they return to the initial or more natural way of looking at it once the overly creative method also fails. Just an observation on human behaviour I noted but time will tell whether this concept has any merit. I for one feel the need to throttle the imagination back just a tad and get back to basics, it will be interesting to see if this proves fruitful.

The Wolf
</div>

I won't beat a dead horse until the end of time. That's why I said I go back and forth between believing I am under-thinking and over-thinking the poem. I occasionally get to believing I am over-thinking it and go back to basics. I then usually run up against the same walls as every time before. Looking at the "clues" in the poem conventionally always leads me onto private property and a dead end. Then there is nothing left to do but get out of the box again. I am about 90% certain Forrest wouldn't hide the treasure on private property, unless it is property he secretly owns.

mdavis19

<b>Quote from Seeker on April 22, 2014, 8:23 am</b>

The one thing that has bothered me the most, is why are we all are looking in different states? 4 years in the running and still no consensus on a single state. If the poem was straight forwards would we not know, at the very least, the state to search? what are we missing has far as a starting point that can't bring it down to a state. Is it NM just because FF mentioned Santa Fe and lives there?

So I throw this question out there [ to all ]. Is your starting point in your theory in one state or even out side the 4 states, but the ending in another?
</div>

Ok, I'll share. My best solution to date starts outside the four state region and ends near the border where two of them meet. The journey from beginning to end crosses parts of four states, including two in the search area. My second best solution again crosses parts of four states, but goes directly into one of the four search states without crossing any of the others, and again ends near the border of two of them. Since my solutions tend to end on borders between states, I have only succeeded in tentatively eliminating one state. You are right, Seeker, that is pretty bad. But I'm chalking that up to the brilliance of Forrest Fenn, not the ignorance of Michael Davis.

mdavis19

I am about 90% certain Forrest wouldn't hide the treasure on private property, unless it is property he secretly owns
</div>

Maybe that is the limiting factor. That is a huge assumption. I can see it most likely on private property or better put "non-state or non-Federal" land. I have learned in this search not to make assumptions because that leads to failure. I found that keeping an open logical mind that allows the clues to take me to when FF put the trove is far better than self-limiting to where I think it isn't. I have to keep reminding myself that FF hid the treasure not me or anyone else.

The Wolf

The Nine Clue List - Milan - 04-22-2014

Such elaborate solves just amazes me. I totally subscribe to the good 'ole razor, or KISS if you prefer.

The Nine Clue List - Jimbo - 04-22-2014

Fenn is no poet laureate.

In fact I would say, while his poetry certainly ain't vogon poetry, I would not rate it as one of his many talents.

The poem is rather crude and should be easy to solve once you correctly guess the right strating point. I dont see much subtleness or any aspects requiring mental gymnastics to solve

There is the odd Snafu in the poem and you will see one big one in the punctuation (very important - you will misread the poem if you ignore it and will screw up your starting point). He also took a bit of a liberty with one of the words but other than that the poem could be read and solved by a child

The clues should map to waypoints on a map else they are "filler", anectodotal or mere side notes (or hints if you like)

<b>Quote from Jimbo on April 22, 2014, 9:07 am</b>

Fenn is no poet laureate.

In fact I would say, while his poetry certainly ain't vogon poetry, I would not rate it as one of his many talents.

The poem is rather crude and should be easy to solve once you correctly guess the right strating point. I dont see much subtleness or any aspects requiring mental gymnastics to solve

There is the odd Snafu in the poem and you will see one big one in the punctuation (very important - you will misread the poem if you ignore it and will screw up your starting point). He also took a bit of a liberty with one of the words but other than that the poem could be read and solved by a child

The clues should map to waypoints on a map else they are "filler", anectodotal or mere side notes (or hints if you like)
</div>

So Jimbo, If i'm understanding you correctly, "guessing" the starting point is all one really needs to find and the rest will lead to the trove. OK, But is that all that is needed a correct Guess?