ChaseChat - Treasure Chat
The Nine Clue List - Printable Version

+- ChaseChat - Treasure Chat (https://www.chasechat.com)
+-- Forum: Forum (https://www.chasechat.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.chasechat.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: The Nine Clue List (/showthread.php?tid=1128)

The Nine Clue List - mdavis19 - 04-22-2014

<div class="bbcode_quote_head">Quote:
<b>Quote from The Wolf on April 22, 2014, 8:53 am</b>
<div class="bbcode_quote">
I am about 90% certain Forrest wouldn't hide the treasure on private property, unless it is property he secretly owns
</div>

Maybe that is the limiting factor. That is a huge assumption. I can see it most likely on private property or better put "non-state or non-Federal" land. I have learned in this search not to make assumptions because that leads to failure. I found that keeping an open logical mind that allows the clues to take me to when FF put the trove is far better than self-limiting to where I think it isn't. I have to keep reminding myself that FF hid the treasure not me or anyone else.

The Wolf</div>
</div>

I have several good reasons to think he wouldn't hide it on private property, and no good reasons to think he would. But I can't eliminate the possibility entirely since good solutions to the poem lead me there. Hiding it on public land simplifies to some extent the transfer of ownership. If the treasure is found on private property, I can't see a legal way around the property owner having a good claim to it. This is surely something Forrest has considered.

Limits are necessary. Sometimes you simply have to define boundaries beyond which you don't reasonably think the treasure can be. It helps narrow the scope of the search, and keeps you the searcher out of trouble, away from unreasonable danger, etc. I don't go hunting anywhere an nearly 80 year old man couldn't have gone, carrying heavy loads, twice, without being noticed. That is my main limit. That's the one limit a lot of people seem to forget to apply to their searches, and as a result waste their time and effort on places the treasure almost certainly cannot be.

mdavis19

The Nine Clue List - Jimbo - 04-22-2014

Seeker, yes a correct guess (as there are many possibilities) and the rest should fit like a glove. As Fenn said you should be able to get the chest if you follow the nine clues <b>precisely</b>

Im going to my spot this weekend with a deep seeking metal detector to see if I am right...

The Nine Clue List - mdavis19 - 04-22-2014

<b>Quote from Jimbo on April 22, 2014, 9:07 am</b>

Fenn is no poet laureate.

In fact I would say, while his poetry certainly ain't vogon poetry, I would not rate it as one of his many talents.

The poem is rather crude and should be easy to solve once you correctly guess the right strating point. I dont see much subtleness or any aspects requiring mental gymnastics to solve

There is the odd Snafu in the poem and you will see one big one in the punctuation (very important - you will misread the poem if you ignore it and will screw up your starting point). He also took a bit of a liberty with one of the words but other than that the poem could be read and solved by a child

The clues should map to waypoints on a map else they are "filler", anectodotal or mere side notes (or hints if you like)
</div>

Oh, the blind optimism of the beginner. I felt like that too in the beginning, Jimbo. I think we all did. The poem seems so simple. So crude even. It should be a cinch to figure out. I'll have the treasure by lunch time. After being humiliated a few times on searches, you will begin to see the wheels within wheels and layers of complexity in the poem. It doesn't take 15 years to write 24 lines of bad poetry. Forrest put real effort into making the poem difficult to decipher.

mdavis19

mdavis, I am indeed a beginner - I made my first ever trip to NM two weeks ago and found the blaze amongst other things. I found a tell tale sign of forrest's handiwork and eventually his "burial chamber" before I had to go

There is nothing blind about me or my methods. I did not say its bad poetry but it is crude.

There is no logic in correlating your (and others) lack of success to the poem being fiendish and difficult to decipher

The fact that people have been within 500 feet of the treasure and have solved the first two clues suggests otherwise. I did not embark on this chase until I read that because when I first heard about the chase over a year ago I concluded it was a waste of time. Now I know different...

The Nine Clue List - Guest - 04-22-2014

<b>Quote from mdavis19 on April 22, 2014, 9:32 am</b>
<b>Quote from Jimbo on April 22, 2014, 9:07 am</b>

Fenn is no poet laureate.

In fact I would say, while his poetry certainly ain't vogon poetry, I would not rate it as one of his many talents.

The poem is rather crude and should be easy to solve once you correctly guess the right strating point. I dont see much subtleness or any aspects requiring mental gymnastics to solve

There is the odd Snafu in the poem and you will see one big one in the punctuation (very important - you will misread the poem if you ignore it and will screw up your starting point). He also took a bit of a liberty with one of the words but other than that the poem could be read and solved by a child

The clues should map to waypoints on a map else they are "filler", anectodotal or mere side notes (or hints if you like)
</div>

Oh, the blind optimism of the beginner. I felt like that too in the beginning, Jimbo. I think we all did. The poem seems so simple. So crude even. It should be a cinch to figure out. I'll have the treasure by lunch time. After being humiliated a few times on searches, you will begin to see the wheels within wheels and layers of complexity in the poem. It doesn't take 15 years to write 24 lines of bad poetry. Forrest put real effort into making the poem difficult to decipher.

mdavis19</div>
</div>

Have to agree with Mdavis on this one, guessing the start is only going to lead to many many wrong searches. IF the poem was to start out as just a good guess... I'd throw in the towel personally. I see a staring point.

Madavis, My only problem with private property is longevity. How could FF secure a place that would be sufficient enough to last after his passing. There would be so many obstacles to over come. Eminent domain would be one. the power to take private property for public use by a state, municipality or even a private person...

The Nine Clue List - wishiIwasRich - 04-22-2014

I'm leaving Thursday and flying to my Rocky Mountain destination. I've made 2 trips out last summer and fall. My current solve involves multiple states. We all have had the same problem of the poem being too generic.

<b>Quote from mdavis19 on April 22, 2014, 9:22 am</b>
<b>Quote from The Wolf on April 22, 2014, 8:53 am</b>
I am about 90% certain Forrest wouldn't hide the treasure on private property, unless it is property he secretly owns
</div>

Maybe that is the limiting factor. That is a huge assumption. I can see it most likely on private property or better put "non-state or non-Federal" land. I have learned in this search not to make assumptions because that leads to failure. I found that keeping an open logical mind that allows the clues to take me to when FF put the trove is far better than self-limiting to where I think it isn't. I have to keep reminding myself that FF hid the treasure not me or anyone else.

The Wolf</div>
</div>

I have several good reasons to think he wouldn't hide it on private property, and no good reasons to think he would. But I can't eliminate the possibility entirely since good solutions to the poem lead me there. Hiding it on public land simplifies to some extent the transfer of ownership. If the treasure is found on private property, I can't see a legal way around the property owner having a good claim to it. This is surely something Forrest has considered.

Limits are necessary. Sometimes you simply have to define boundaries beyond which you don't reasonably think the treasure can be. It helps narrow the scope of the search, and keeps you the searcher out of trouble, away from unreasonable danger, etc. I don't go hunting anywhere an nearly 80 year old man couldn't have gone, carrying heavy loads, twice, without being noticed. That is my main limit. That's the one limit a lot of people seem to forget to apply to their searches, and as a result waste their time and effort on places the treasure almost certainly cannot be.

mdavis19</div>
</div>

mdavis,

The "don't go where an 80 year old wouldn't" assumption makes sense since he said that as a fact and thus I would not even call it an assumption. He has never said anything about excluding private property though so that would classify as an assumption. Although I acknowledge your point but will stand by my belief that assumptions are very dangerous - one wrong simple assumption will guarantee failure - forever!

http://www.muenzgeschichte.ch/downloads/laws-usa.pdf

This is an interesting read on common law - the main message here is as long as you don't trespass the law of discovery of abandoned property is on your side. Of course you might want to have a reasonable plan first to discuss it with the land owner to at least gain legal access to the the land.

Also I don't think this treasure is actually classified as a treasure trove since the owner is still alive and it has not been buried long enough by definition of the law.

The Wolf

The Nine Clue List - emmett - 04-22-2014

my humble opinions

I don't think that its buried. I can't picture f. carrying a treasure with a shovel/pick tossed over his shoulder,digging in rocky ground.

I guessed, where wwwh, on my first searches, and like everyone else, failed miserably.

I believe that the searchers who got the first two clues right also guessed. They were just lucky, with no conviction.

Those who are in a tight focus with a word that is key, haven't guessed. They know for sure where to start, so it can be done.

I don't know what the blaze is, but I doubt that it's a carving on a tree.

Good luck everyone, and be careful out there,

Emmett

You have to guess WWWH and then check if the remaining clues line up - there is no other way to solve this. Its like jigsaw - get the first few pieces right and the rest just slot in

Wolf,

Treasures and trove are or could be considered two different entities. Trove is mainly considered of Value. Treasure also can be as such but not necessarily Valuable in price as much as possessions to be cherished. Treasure trove, at least the way I read into it is a find after the death or period of passing. Do you feel that those words in the poem have any relations to a clue? or hint to a clue? Just curious.