ChaseChat - Treasure Chat
The Nine Clue List - Printable Version

+- ChaseChat - Treasure Chat (https://www.chasechat.com)
+-- Forum: Forum (https://www.chasechat.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.chasechat.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: The Nine Clue List (/showthread.php?tid=1128)

The Nine Clue List - samsmith - 04-22-2014

Wolf...no blankets...fact...it's there...Mr. Fenn hid it well...it's difficult to explain without giving it away entirely, but who was where and when is of no consequence really...Mr. Fenn's 500ft I equate to his 300mi W of Toledo quip...people could have been within mere feet of the box and not have known it..."a miss is as good as a mile"... Smile

Jimbo...don't be quick to discount ANY possibility...that's the study, think, and analyze part of this puzzle... Smile

The Nine Clue List - Jimbo - 04-22-2014

Im not ruling out there being a cipher only I dont think its a productive use of my time searching for one considering Fenn has cleary stated searchers have correctly interpreted the first two clues and that if you knew where the HOB was you could walk right up to the chest - go figure!

Wolf...you may think I am too blatant with my statements, but if you had before you what I was given and had explained you would understand entirely...and just as Old Timer stated, if I am able to make a trip this summer out West, it will be one of recovery...I will walk to the box, pick it up, and leave...after sundown though, the temperature drops rapidly in those mountains when the sun sets... Smile

The Nine Clue List - mdavis19 - 04-22-2014

<div class="bbcode_quote_head">Quote:
<b>Quote from Jimbo on April 22, 2014, 9:47 am</b>

mdavis, I am indeed a beginner - I made my first ever trip to NM two weeks ago and found the blaze amongst other things. I found a tell tale sign of forrest's handiwork and eventually his "burial chamber" before I had to go

There is nothing blind about me or my methods. I did not say its bad poetry but it is crude.

There is no logic in correlating your (and others) lack of success to the poem being fiendish and difficult to decipher

The fact that people have been within 500 feet of the treasure and have solved the first two clues suggests otherwise. I did not embark on this chase until I read that because when I first heard about the chase over a year ago I concluded it was a waste of time. Now I know different...
</div>

I can only say Good Luck to you. Maybe you will be the exception. But I have a feeling that in a year or two or five, you'll still be looking.

mdavis19

Yes Jimbo...clues 3 thru 9 get easier after finding clues 1 & 2...HOB has double meaning, but in the end it's where you leave your vehicle and go for a walk... Smile

<b>Quote from Seeker on April 22, 2014, 9:51 am</b>
<div class="bbcode_quote">
<b>Quote from mdavis19 on April 22, 2014, 9:32 am</b>
<div class="bbcode_quote">
<b>Quote from Jimbo on April 22, 2014, 9:07 am</b>

Fenn is no poet laureate.

In fact I would say, while his poetry certainly ain't vogon poetry, I would not rate it as one of his many talents.

The poem is rather crude and should be easy to solve once you correctly guess the right strating point. I dont see much subtleness or any aspects requiring mental gymnastics to solve

There is the odd Snafu in the poem and you will see one big one in the punctuation (very important - you will misread the poem if you ignore it and will screw up your starting point). He also took a bit of a liberty with one of the words but other than that the poem could be read and solved by a child

The clues should map to waypoints on a map else they are "filler", anectodotal or mere side notes (or hints if you like)
</div>

Oh, the blind optimism of the beginner. I felt like that too in the beginning, Jimbo. I think we all did. The poem seems so simple. So crude even. It should be a cinch to figure out. I'll have the treasure by lunch time. After being humiliated a few times on searches, you will begin to see the wheels within wheels and layers of complexity in the poem. It doesn't take 15 years to write 24 lines of bad poetry. Forrest put real effort into making the poem difficult to decipher.

mdavis19</div>
</div>

Have to agree with Mdavis on this one, guessing the start is only going to lead to many many wrong searches. IF the poem was to start out as just a good guess... I'd throw in the towel personally. I see a staring point.

Madavis, My only problem with private property is longevity. How could FF secure a place that would be sufficient enough to last after his passing. There would be so many obstacles to over come. Eminent domain would be one. the power to take private property for public use by a state, municipality or even a private person...</div>
</div>

Excellent points, Seeker. Those are some of the many problems with hiding the treasure on private property. That's why I'm 90% certain he didn't do it. I can only think of two reasons why he might do it, and neither of them is as good as the reasons against it are bad. The first I already mentioned, maybe he secretly owns the property in question. But that still suffers from the succession and potential eminent domain issues. The other reason, I can't really go into detail about, because it would potentially give away one of my solves. Let's just say that if there was someone Forrest really wanted to annoy, he could hide the treasure on that person's property. Once it was found, the legal fight over ownership could give the owner of the property a black eye in the court of public opinion. Maybe we should be compiling a list of Forrest's enemies.

mdavis19

The Nine Clue List - Jimbo - 04-22-2014

mdavis, The only way Im different is that I've come late to the show because I felt the poem was all but impossible to solve from day one but became convinced it was considerably easier to solve once Fenn gave away some shocking clues and after reading previous attempted solves. I guess I'm not scarred like others from fruitless searchers so its easy for me to say that but I believe in the week I spent in NM I have come closer than anyone else but if I fail to find the chest in the near future I will reveal all in the hope that it helps others just like other poeple's solves helped me get into the chase

<b>Quote from Jimbo on April 22, 2014, 12:52 pm</b>

I never made any claim that I found the chest - just a promising lead. The chest was not in the burial chamber but if its the right spot it should be nearby.

Its my belief WWWH and HOB have already been found by other searchers - search the internet for their solves. Fenn practically spelt it out when he said searchers have found the first two clues but went right past the other seven. I would never have got this far if he had not made that statement thats for sure
</div>

That is assuming WWWH and HOB are the first two clues. Not the 2nd and 3rd, or 3rd and 4th, or maybe they really aren't even both clues. I think a lot of people make a mistake there. Ignore the entire first stanza at your peril, and be careful what you decide is or isn't a clue.

mdavis19

The Nine Clue List - Hank - 04-22-2014

samsmith yer freakin me out here...I may be seeing <i>you</i>out there...

also are you saying someone gave you the solve? You were handed it by another searcher? you willing to divulge your state?

The Nine Clue List - Cloudcover - 04-22-2014

That is very strange that you say that mdavis because my current area has something like that going on. Which is why I have been feeling that Mr. Fenn wants the finder to come forward and make a stand. There is an issue bigger than the chest and it has to do with ownership. The whole defense of who has ownership of the chest has been laid out by using another dispute. It would bring an issue out in the open of past injustices.