ChaseChat - Treasure Chat
The Nine Clue List - Printable Version

+- ChaseChat - Treasure Chat (https://www.chasechat.com)
+-- Forum: Forum (https://www.chasechat.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.chasechat.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: The Nine Clue List (/showthread.php?tid=1128)

The Nine Clue List - Guest - 04-22-2014

<div class="bbcode_quote_head">Quote:
<b>Quote from samsmith on April 22, 2014, 1:48 pm</b>

Wolf...you may think I am too blatant with my statements, but if you had before you what I was given and had explained you would understand entirely...and just as Old Timer stated, if I am able to make a trip this summer out West, it will be one of recovery...I will walk to the box, pick it up, and leave...after sundown though, the temperature drops rapidly in those mountains when the sun sets... Smile
</div>

Samsmith, I admire your confidence; it is similar to mine (except I try to be a little less obvious). However your timeline is too long to be that confident - because it will be over well before then! ;-) Ah the thrill of the bantering before the chase! lol

Good luck with the search!

The Wolf

The Nine Clue List - mdavis19 - 04-22-2014

My goodness! Aren't we just overflowing with optimism. I count at least four people in this thread who are sure they know where the treasure is and just need to go recover it. Maybe a half-dozen more in other threads, and who knows how many on other blogs. Looks like there is going to be a traffic jam on the trail to The Spot. Food luck, fellows. Come back safe from the mountains. I'm looking forward to seeing your posts in the Failed Methodologies thread this Fall.

mdavis19

The Nine Clue List - samsmith - 04-22-2014

@Hank...sorry about the freak out...what I have is a silent partner to whom I responded on a request for help...what he showed me I can see in no way being by accident or coincidence, it must be by design...I have searched ways to dispute or otherwise discount what he showed me, unsuccessful there...after our discussions he totally disappeared, no contact since...he gave me clues 1 & 2 and let me run with it...why?...your guess is as good as mine...he only requested a small percentage in return if found...I will keep our bargain... Smile

To reveal the state would reveal too much I'm afraid, it's intergal(sic) to the location...I can say it lies among the aberrations on the edges... Smile

Good luck to you Wolf, maybe you will get there first...if so, enjoy the thrill... Smile

Good luck to you too Mike, should be some good tales to be told... Smile

The Nine Clue List - Hank - 04-22-2014

samsmith, its all good here...it was just a couple things in your recent posts, and to some other posts, one in particular addressed to admin that has me thinking - for the first time I might add - that someone might be on the same path as me. Not saying I am on the right path, but I like where things worked out. So your partner had the first 2 clues figured out and not the rest? I won't <i>fish</i> for too much info..ha..I can't get out there until the summer anyway, teacher schedule dictates. There are things way out there, on the edges for sure...good luck in your hunt...

The Nine Clue List - morecowbell - 04-22-2014

<b>Quote from mdavis19 on April 22, 2014, 3:57 pm</b>

My goodness! Aren't we just overflowing with optimism. I count at least four people in this thread who are sure they know where the treasure is and just need to go recover it. Maybe a half-dozen more in other threads, and who knows how many on other blogs. Looks like there is going to be a traffic jam on the trail to The Spot. Food luck, fellows. Come back safe from the mountains. I'm looking forward to seeing your posts in the Failed Methodologies thread this Fall.

mdavis19
</div>

IMO the chase won't last through this year.

<b>Quote from The Wolf on April 22, 2014, 10:04 am</b>
<div class="bbcode_quote">
<b>Quote from mdavis19 on April 22, 2014, 9:22 am</b>
<b>Quote from The Wolf on April 22, 2014, 8:53 am</b>
I am about 90% certain Forrest wouldn't hide the treasure on private property, unless it is property he secretly owns
</div>

Maybe that is the limiting factor. That is a huge assumption. I can see it most likely on private property or better put "non-state or non-Federal" land. I have learned in this search not to make assumptions because that leads to failure. I found that keeping an open logical mind that allows the clues to take me to when FF put the trove is far better than self-limiting to where I think it isn't. I have to keep reminding myself that FF hid the treasure not me or anyone else.

The Wolf</div>
</div>

I have several good reasons to think he wouldn't hide it on private property, and no good reasons to think he would. But I can't eliminate the possibility entirely since good solutions to the poem lead me there. Hiding it on public land simplifies to some extent the transfer of ownership. If the treasure is found on private property, I can't see a legal way around the property owner having a good claim to it. This is surely something Forrest has considered.

Limits are necessary. Sometimes you simply have to define boundaries beyond which you don't reasonably think the treasure can be. It helps narrow the scope of the search, and keeps you the searcher out of trouble, away from unreasonable danger, etc. I don't go hunting anywhere an nearly 80 year old man couldn't have gone, carrying heavy loads, twice, without being noticed. That is my main limit. That's the one limit a lot of people seem to forget to apply to their searches, and as a result waste their time and effort on places the treasure almost certainly cannot be.

mdavis19</div>
</div>

mdavis,

The "don't go where an 80 year old wouldn't" assumption makes sense since he said that as a fact and thus I would not even call it an assumption. He has never said anything about excluding private property though so that would classify as an assumption. Although I acknowledge your point but will stand by my belief that assumptions are very dangerous - one wrong simple assumption will guarantee failure - forever!

http://www.muenzgeschichte.ch/downloads/laws-usa.pdf

This is an interesting read on common law - the main message here is as long as you don't trespass the law of discovery of abandoned property is on your side. Of course you might want to have a reasonable plan first to discuss it with the land owner to at least gain legal access to the the land.

Also I don't think this treasure is actually classified as a treasure trove since the owner is still alive and it has not been buried long enough by definition of the law.

The Wolf</div>
</div>
I believe Forrest had said if a person does not know what they are doing then they should just stay in play canasta.

In the state of Maine a few children that was hired by a man to clean up a garage with a dirt floor found $1200 worth of silver coins buried in jars just below the surface.

The property owner confiscated the coins from children and the parents took property owner to court and won because the property owner did not know the coins were buried in the garage floor.

As it is called "legal precedent",the answers I already know as a treasure hunter.

Never stayed in and played canasta.

legal precedent exist from case law on prior court cases . Case law is the set of existing rulings which have made "new interpretations" of law and, therefore, can be cited as "precedent". The term is applied to any set of rulings on "law" which is guided by previous rulings. These decisions were made from higher courts and rule for lower courts to follow. But in most cases, each state carries it's own version of legal precedent and case law and may not be legal representation in all states. Specially in civil matters, as I'm sure this case fell under.

<b>Quote from Butch on April 22, 2014, 12:20 pm</b>
<b>Quote from Seeker on April 22, 2014, 8:23 am</b>

The one thing that has bothered me the most, is why are we all are looking in different states? 4 years in the running and still no consensus on a single state. If the poem was straight forwards would we not know, at the very least, the state to search? what are we missing has far as a starting point that can't bring it down to a state. Is it NM just because FF mentioned Santa Fe and lives there?

So I throw this question out there [ to all ]. Is your starting point in your theory in one state or even out side the 4 states, but the ending in another?
</div>

Seeker, this is for your eyes only: the state is encoded and confirmed in TTOTC, but that's all I can say.

Bushwhackin' Butch Fish</div>
</div>

I just came across your post here. Thanks you, I'll keep that to myself. But seeing I don't have the book maybe you could share your thoughts... Just between us. Wink

seriously I have heard from no less that 5 posters that they have found a state encrypted in the poem, But only one [so far] could/would prove it to me. If you don't mind sharing which state your searching in, as many have including myself, I would be curiously interested. Thanks.

<b>Quote from mdavis19 on April 22, 2014, 2:05 pm</b>
<b>Quote from Seeker on April 22, 2014, 9:51 am</b>
<b>Quote from mdavis19 on April 22, 2014, 9:32 am</b>
<b>Quote from Jimbo on April 22, 2014, 9:07 am</b>

Fenn is no poet laureate.

In fact I would say, while his poetry certainly ain't vogon poetry, I would not rate it as one of his many talents.

The poem is rather crude and should be easy to solve once you correctly guess the right strating point. I dont see much subtleness or any aspects requiring mental gymnastics to solve

There is the odd Snafu in the poem and you will see one big one in the punctuation (very important - you will misread the poem if you ignore it and will screw up your starting point). He also took a bit of a liberty with one of the words but other than that the poem could be read and solved by a child

The clues should map to waypoints on a map else they are "filler", anectodotal or mere side notes (or hints if you like)
</div>

Oh, the blind optimism of the beginner. I felt like that too in the beginning, Jimbo. I think we all did. The poem seems so simple. So crude even. It should be a cinch to figure out. I'll have the treasure by lunch time. After being humiliated a few times on searches, you will begin to see the wheels within wheels and layers of complexity in the poem. It doesn't take 15 years to write 24 lines of bad poetry. Forrest put real effort into making the poem difficult to decipher.

mdavis19</div>
</div>

Have to agree with Mdavis on this one, guessing the start is only going to lead to many many wrong searches. IF the poem was to start out as just a good guess... I'd throw in the towel personally. I see a staring point.

Madavis, My only problem with private property is longevity. How could FF secure a place that would be sufficient enough to last after his passing. There would be so many obstacles to over come. Eminent domain would be one. the power to take private property for public use by a state, municipality or even a private person...</div>
</div>

Excellent points, Seeker. Those are some of the many problems with hiding the treasure on private property. That's why I'm 90% certain he didn't do it. I can only think of two reasons why he might do it, and neither of them is as good as the reasons against it are bad. The first I already mentioned, maybe he secretly owns the property in question. But that still suffers from the succession and potential eminent domain issues. The other reason, I can't really go into detail about, because it would potentially give away one of my solves. Let's just say that if there was someone Forrest really wanted to annoy, he could hide the treasure on that person's property. Once it was found, the legal fight over ownership could give the owner of the property a black eye in the court of public opinion. Maybe we should be compiling a list of Forrest's enemies.

mdavis19</div>
</div>

Well Mdavis, as good as my example was. It dawned on me later that a large piece of land in my home state years back, for private hunting purpose, came under this...Conservation Easements

Conservation easements are one of the most powerful, effective tools available for the permanent conservation of private lands. Their use has successfully protected millions of acres of land while keeping it in private hands and generating significant public benefits.A conservation easement is a restriction placed on a piece of property to protect its associated resources. The easement is either voluntarily donated or sold by the landowner and constitutes a legally binding agreement that limits certain types of uses or prevents development from taking place on the land in perpetuity while the land remains in private hands. Conservation easements protect land for future generations while allowing owners to retain many private property rights and to live on and use their land, at the same time potentially providing them with tax benefits.

Mdavis 1 Seeker 0 Sad 8O

The Nine Clue List - deb - 04-22-2014

Also known as trust lands... like Gardiner Island. Smile