ChaseChat - Treasure Chat
The Nine Clue List - Printable Version

+- ChaseChat - Treasure Chat (https://www.chasechat.com)
+-- Forum: Forum (https://www.chasechat.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.chasechat.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: The Nine Clue List (/showthread.php?tid=1128)

The Nine Clue List - mdavis19 - 05-02-2014

<div class="bbcode_quote_head">Quote:
<b>Quote from Seeker on May 2, 2014, 12:39 pm</b>

Will,

I guess I would have to know what your intake on that line means. but I think I know where your going with it, But What exactly is the poem about? Is the poem just about Fenn Hiding a chest?
</div>

At first blush, the poem appears to be about Fenn hiding the chest. The first stanza tends to lead you to that conclusion right off. That's how I first read it years ago, as a recounting of how he hid the treasure. I don't believe that any more. As a journey to hide the treasure, it is incomplete. Certainly if you try to use the poem to trace Fenn's footsteps when he hid the chest, you get nowhere. I think the poem is really more about how to find the chest, than about how it was hidden. That may seem like a subtle difference, but it has major repercussions for the searcher who approaches the poem from the wrong angle.

mdavis19

The Nine Clue List - Halogetter - 05-02-2014

<i>"So why is it that I must go and leave my trove for all to seek?"</i>

The one and only question posed with a question mark in the poem, to start off the 5th stanza. This sure sounds like it could be the first line of the poem, eh?

But in the first stanza it sounds like he's already gone and left the trove. Do you think that he's just jumping back and forth in time and starting the poem beyond the beginning, a technique often used in storytelling and cinema, or is it something else?

The poem was written in order to offer people the opportunity to discover the location of the treasure chest. In the correct discovery, I believe the poem clue solutions do trace a path yet also tell a story about not only how the actual treasure chest was physically hidden by Forrest, but also, simultaneously, why he needed to do it to resolve the open-ended aspects of his life that he yearned to complete before he died.

In addition to his desire to share some of the spoils of what he found in his many chases, which he discusses poignantly in TTOTC, I believe that the <i>act of hiding the treasure chest</i> and <i>the location itself</i> both complete Forrest.

Perhaps having someone find the treasure chest and making the whole story known before he dies, and the shared experience between him, the finder, and everyone else who's paying attention, would be more complete and full-circle for his life than passing away with the treasure's mystery inside him.

SYand42lbsHeavier,

Halogetter

The Nine Clue List - Guest - 05-02-2014

Halogetter,

I won't disagree with what you said. I will add or "is it something else?" may need more looking into.

"The poem was written in order to offer people the opportunity to discover the location of the treasure chest. In the correct discovery, I believe the poem clue solutions do trace a path yet also tell a story about not only how the actual treasure chest was physically hidden by Forrest, but also, simultaneously, why he needed to do it to resolve the open-ended aspects of his life that he yearned to complete before he died."...

And again I can't argue this point, But will add, are these the only reason the poem was written. The first stanza does sound like HE's already gone and left the trove...

The Nine Clue List - will197532 - 05-02-2014

The first stanza doesn't say he left it, As I,ve gone alone in there WITH my treasures bold, to me that he still has the treasure cause the poem was writen first. The fifth stanza is him leaving the chest, So why is it that I must go

And leave my trove for all to seek? To me that is when he finally left the chest.

The Nine Clue List - will197532 - 05-02-2014

If I am wrong I would like to know cause anything helps at this point!

The Nine Clue List - Retired Postmaster - 05-02-2014

@astree - I'm actually in New York State - about 10 hours from MDI where we have gone 4 times to a special B&B in Bar Harbor and to search.

I have enjoyed your comments on the 9 clues and would like to add that for me, like you, there is definitely water, of the wet kind, involved!

The Nine Clue List - Luckydog - 05-02-2014

samsmith,

You are not the only one that sees no water in the solve.

"There'll be no paddle up your creek", has a hilarious meaning to my solve (but no water). Does it in yours?

All the best,

Luckydog

The Nine Clue List - Guest - 05-02-2014

I guess I am one of those really "dense" people who do not see how there can be no water involved with the WWWH. I guess I took FF's latest statement at face value when he said not to over complicate the poem

The Wolf.

The Nine Clue List - Plato II - 05-02-2014

will32......As I've gone alone in there WITH my treasures bold.......Why would he go in there with his treasures bold and not leave them there? IMO, he has been there many times before without his treasures, that's why he knew exactly where to hide it, then he hid it before he released his poem which he had already completed before going in there for the last time with his treasure to hide it.

The fifth stanza is saying that he has already hid it, and he is just questioning(asking)us as to why he must go, and why is he doing this. He knows the answers, but we don't...(not yet, anyway)...He's already done it tired, and now he's weak. So IMO, he left the chest when he went in there alone with his treasures bold...at the beginning..........Just my thoughts...........Adios! 8-)

The Nine Clue List - samsmith - 05-02-2014

<div class="bbcode_quote_head">Quote:
<b>Quote from Luckydog on May 2, 2014, 6:16 pm</b>

samsmith,

You are not the only one that sees no water in the solve.

"There'll be no paddle up your creek", has a hilarious meaning to my solve (but no water). Does it in yours?

All the best,

Luckydog
</div>

Hey there Luckydog!...don't know about hilarious, but definitely different than most folks think...and no water... Smile