ChaseChat - Treasure Chat
The Nine Clue List - Printable Version

+- ChaseChat - Treasure Chat (https://www.chasechat.com)
+-- Forum: Forum (https://www.chasechat.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.chasechat.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: The Nine Clue List (/showthread.php?tid=1128)

The Nine Clue List - mdavis19 - 05-06-2015

<div class="bbcode_quote_head">Quote:
<b>Quote from notevenclose on May 6, 2015, 8:03 pm</b>

Yes, this is <b>a lot</b> more complicated than people realize.

Here, I'll try to explain, by way of example...:

This is one of my starting positions. But, I don't think it's the right one. So, this is an interpretation I think is probably wrong. Bear that in mind. I think the real solution is MORE complicated than this...

AS I HAVE GONE ALONE IN THERE

Not much to go on, but it's a place where you go alone. And, it's probably somewhere FF's been before (other than just hiding the chest).

</div>
Or maybe it is someplace a person doesn't ordinarily go alone, making it worthy of note.

AND WITH MY TREASURES BOLD,

Again, not much here either. Unless... Bold means prominent - or a noticeable appearance of some sort. Something that sticks out. Treasures = jewels = family jewels. So, we could be looking for a place one (FF) would go alone and naked.

</div>
Ok, that's just creepy. Bold is an interesting word. It has meanings on many different levels. Look below the surface.

I CAN KEEP MY SECRET WHERE,

Keep could mean castle keep, which (coincidentally?) is <i>exactly</i> where you keep your gold and jewels. Or, maybe it's secret which is important. Are we looking for Fenn's secret skinny dipping pool? Turns out he in fact <b>had</b> a secret skinny-dipping pool - Ojo Caliente on the Firehole. And, he used to bathe there in the exact spot where hot spring water met the cold river water. Exactly on the spot where warm waters halted. Literally to the foot. One foot in either direction and it was too cold or too warm.

</div>
You really have nudity on the mind. Half his book is about Yellowstone. Not much of a secret. I suspect his secret where is someplace he has never, ever mentioned.

AND HINT OF RICHES NEW AND OLD.

Could be a simple reference to the old treasures of Yellowstone and the new treasures in the box. But, hinting does also mean leaning towards (as well as clue). And, we do have two directions we can head in - one towards 'OLD' Faithful. So, presumably, 'new treasures' are the other way... Not sure.

</div>
Here you are kind of paralleling my thoughts. Riches new and old seem to me to be references to important things, possibly marking the area where warm waters begin, in my mind anyway.

BEGIN IT WHERE WARM WATERS HALT...

Interestingly, Ojo Caliente is the very last hot spring heading north away from Old Faithful. So, it's not just where the warm waters halt and mix with cold waters - it's also where the hot springs themselves halt. It solves the clue in multiple ways (I've noticed that a lot as I've worked through the poem, the puzzle seems to have lines that mean two different things, but both seem to lead to the same spot).

And, again, I don't think this solve is quite good enough. I think there's a lot more to it than that. So, if your solution for WWWH ignores all these important words, there's almost no chance it's right...

There's way more to this than meets the eye. The solution should be simple and elegant, but getting there sure as hell won't be...
</div>

We both agree with these last two points. This solve isn't good enough, and there is more going on in the poem than initially meets the eye.

mdavis19

The Nine Clue List - jdh - 05-06-2015

Notevenclose,

you have very good ideas and some have been discussed in the past. Although this is only your second post on this blog, I don't want to assume that you are a new searcher... as your ideas reflect a certain amount of "chase maturity", for lack of a better term, but if you don't mind... I'd like to get a better idea of where you're coming from. No offense intended.

how long have you been working on the poem and have you read Mr. Fenn's The Thrill of the Chase? I'd guess you have.

as for me: I have been working on it for over 2 years, I have read the book and I've been on 3 searching adventures.

I've never considered family jewels before. Good one!

jdh

The Nine Clue List - jdh - 05-06-2015

<b>Quote from mdavis19 on May 6, 2015, 7:25 pm</b>

There are at least four things in the first stanza that just shout out either clue or hint to me. All together they point to a certain location that makes sense to me as a place where warm waters begin.

mdavis19
</div>

That's the beauty of the poem. I see at least four things in the first stanza that just shout out either clue or hint to me also. Except... all together they point to a certain location that makes sense to me as a place where the chest will be found.

just curious... what point of the poem do you believe gives the location of the chest? At what stanza will you find it?

and thanks for sharing your ideas. I appreciate it.

jdh

The Nine Clue List - notevenclose - 05-06-2015

how long have you been working on the poem and have you read Mr. Fenn's The Thrill of the Chase? I'd guess you have.
</div>

About 3 days - and no, it's in the mail.

You really have nudity on the mind. Half his book is about Yellowstone.
</div>

I wouldn't be so fast to discount Ojo Caliente! Yes, half his book is about Yellowstone - but 3% of his blog is about skinny-dipping in the Ojo Caliente (yet he never mentions it by name). He calls it one of his favorite spots on Earth. Also interesting - there's another, more famous, Ojo Caliente. It's called Ojo Caliente Springs, this one is Ojo Caliente Spring. Singular. One is 'alone', the other is not (also, one is older and one is newer, this one was only named in 1937)... Also, Ojo means eye (singular again) and caliente means hot ('warm'), and it's also in the Firehole ('warm'). And, of course, 'gone in' could easily imply swimming. Far too many things line up nicely at Ojo Caliente...

The Nine Clue List - jdh - 05-07-2015

Notevenclose,

Although Ojo Caliente has not been part of my solution thus far, I have read posts regarding it in the past. You present a very good argument for it to be considered.

Well done and good luck in your hunt.

jdh

The Nine Clue List - deb - 05-07-2015

I wonder if you considered that there is more than one Ojo Caliente in the Rockies?

The Nine Clue List - mdavis19 - 05-07-2015

<b>Quote from jdh on May 6, 2015, 9:23 pm</b>
<div class="bbcode_quote">
<b>Quote from mdavis19 on May 6, 2015, 7:25 pm</b>

There are at least four things in the first stanza that just shout out either clue or hint to me. All together they point to a certain location that makes sense to me as a place where warm waters begin.

mdavis19
</div>

That's the beauty of the poem. I see at least four things in the first stanza that just shout out either clue or hint to me also. Except... all together they point to a certain location that makes sense to me as a place where the chest will be found.

just curious... what point of the poem do you believe gives the location of the chest? At what stanza will you find it?

and thanks for sharing your ideas. I appreciate it.

jdh</div>
</div>

I personally don't think we find the treasure until we get to the word gold at the end of the poem. I've never really felt that we were done at the middle of the 4th stanza where a lot of people seem to assume the treasure is found. I think they are assuming the wrong quest is ceasing. IMHO the quest for the gold goes on past that point, to the very end. Forrest isn't making this easy for us. 5 years in and a lot of people still don't seem to get that. Simplistic solutions ignoring half the poem aren't going to get anyone anywhere.

mdavis19

The Nine Clue List - Jack - 05-07-2015

Good point Mike. People are ignoring the three stanzas that point to the location and are trying to solve the 3 stanzas that tell you how to search the location. You won't find the correct place to search in stanzas 2, 3, and 4. You will only find by solving stanzas 1, 5, and 6.

The Nine Clue List - geydelkon - 05-07-2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQxUEW8vjf0

The Nine Clue List - Ritt Jordan - 05-07-2015

Geydelkon....Thanks for sharing that beautiful video. Very well done.