ChaseChat - Treasure Chat
The Nine Clue List - Printable Version

+- ChaseChat - Treasure Chat (https://www.chasechat.com)
+-- Forum: Forum (https://www.chasechat.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.chasechat.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: The Nine Clue List (/showthread.php?tid=1128)

The Nine Clue List - will197532 - 06-12-2015

<div class="bbcode_quote_head">Quote:
<b>Quote from samsmith on June 12, 2015, 9:47 pm</b>
<div class="bbcode_quote">
<div class="bbcode_quote_head">Quote:
<b>Quote from will197532 on June 12, 2015, 8:18 pm</b>

ItonWill took it like a man so please don't get mad Sam Smile
</div>

What is there to get mad about will?...Unless of course you are referring to my being "as mad as a hatter" or some such...lol...Maybe I am off my rocker and the mark, but I'm making this trip to Wyoming anyway...Gotta at least try to grab one banana ya know...Would never forgive myself for not seeking this one adventure irregardless of the outcome... Smile</div>
</div>
Just Kidding! We all are insane to be in the chase Smile But yes grab some banana's cause the rest of us are grabbing some lemons!

The Nine Clue List - geydelkon - 06-12-2015

8-)

The Nine Clue List - Fainmatte - 06-12-2015

?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqaduXkPPqk

The Nine Clue List - geydelkon - 06-15-2015

Sometimes, I just want to tell all the chasers where the treasure is located.

The Nine Clue List - deb - 06-16-2015

Well, go get the treasure and then tell us about the solve. Smile It will inspire me to stop thinking about it.lol

The Nine Clue List - astree - 06-16-2015

[Image: uj693-Screenshot_2015-06-16-10-25-28.png]

The Nine Clue List - geydelkon - 06-16-2015

Deb, once the chest is retrieved the relief effect will go on for years. When I got out of my pickup truck with a backpack full of gear there was no human trail to be seen. I started walking in a direction and when I looked back only to see my steps disappeared as well. Thinking, this place is strange. As I walked southwest, this spot opened up to a place I only seen in dreams. When I first started the chase, I did it to help my daughter, 8 months later she died. She has been guiding me to this place everyday since then. Last night in one of my thousands of pictures I seen she had sent me another sign. It wasn't suppose to be in the picture. If when I do go and get the chest, it will probable end up in the Smithsonian.

The Nine Clue List - geydelkon - 06-18-2015

So after more than 2 years on the chase, reading the poem has eased my future. Today, I decided to do what he has told everyone to do:

<i><b>

“What I tell people to do…if you’re really serious about looking for the treasure…get ‘The Thrill of the Chase’ and read it and then go back and read the poem over and over and over again. And then go back and read the book again, but slowly looking at every little abstract thing that might catch up in your brain, that might be a hint to help you with the clues. Any part of some is better than no part of any.”</b></i>

After I read the book again tonight, I can see things. Then I read the poem and then the book. Dancing with the Millennium is perhaps is my favorite part of the whole book. Caution the typing is a little off and might self-destruct.

PAGE 135

<b>DANCING WITH THE MILLENNIUM</b>

I’ve always had a love for history and that’s why I collect and talk about old things. Maybe it’s because the people who lived in olden times seem so mysterious to me. I’ve wondered what they did when they weren’t doing anything. But those who will be living in the future really arouse my curiosity. Someday, will all of the land in New Mexico be covered with houses and asphalt? Will there be no requirement for farmers because everyone will be eating food pills made with chemicals instead of eating real broccoli and squash? That might not be all bad.

If those things really come about, what will people do for fresh air fun? With populations increasing so rapidly maybe there won’t be room for a lot of things we enjoy doing today, like hunting and hiking and looking across the desert just for the fun of seeing nothing at all. It seems so sad to me.

Most of those thoughts discourage me because there may not be any more history in the making like there was in the past. And worse, what can one person do that might impact life a thousand years from now? I’ve given that a lot of thought because little things can be so important in our lives. For example, do you know how long a piece of iron is needed to make a horseshoe? You measure the horse’s hoof, front to back, multiply by two and add an inch.

PAGE 136

Most people don’t know that, but I do because my friend Frank Turley told me. And he told me because he’s a blacksmith and I paid him twenty bucks to make me one. I just stood there and watched him bellow the coal to heat the metal. The pinging sound of his pounding hammer against iron and anvil was thrilling to me in a romantic sort of way. It had a certain cadence that was an integral part of the total experience, as were the fumes from his forge that permeated a smithy in the 7th Cavalry shoe a horse. Those things are important and I’m richer for it.

Anyway, I’ve never been willing to stand idly by and be part of a forgotten history when I may be able to impact future events. My part will be very small in the big picture but huge to me. “Safe upon the solid rock the ugly houses stand: Come and see my shinning palace built upon the sand!”

Imagination is better than knowledge.

Pictures – Bells

PAGE 137

Those words from Millay’s poem tell my story best and that’s where I’m most comfortable. There may be laughter and glee, but because you won’t be there when it happens, I’ll tell you of my secret plan.

On many occasions at night, while my wife was watching “Dancing with the Stars,” I was making wax bells and writing words on them in elevate letters. The later bronze castings of the bells are exactly like the wax originals I took to the foundary. Bronze is a non-ferrous metal, meaning it won’t rust or deteriorate in any way. One must pound it with a sledgehammer, or melt it down in order to change its shape. All of my bells were cast in that material so I could bury them. Each one is signed and dated or there would be no point to the madness. Some of the bells have clankers that I made from large copper nails taken from 17th century Spanish galleons. Skippy’s son, Crayton Fenn, is a professional deep sea diver. He gave the nails to me.

If you should ever think of me,

A thousand years from now,

Please ring my bell so I will know.

PAGE 138

I buried those bells about three feet deep so a metal detector can’t find them. Some may be on land owned by the American people but tended by the Bureau of Land Management. Other bells have words that say:

God will forgive me, that’s what he does.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

It doesn’t matter where you are, it only matters who they think you are.

There are others but these illustrate my point if not my logic. Hopefully no one will happen upon a bell for many years – around 1,000 would be perfect. The Rosetta Stone was undiscovered for 2,000 years and don’t you just know the guy who carved it is proud?

PAGE 139

I’m also burying bronze jars for the same reason, about eight in all. My friend, Tommy Hicks, who owns the Shidoni Foundry, didn’t know how to cast jars with screw-on lids, so I had to teach him. It’s a secret technique that I discovered when I ran my own art foundry many years ago. The same autobiography that’s in the treasure chest also is in the jars, which are decorated mostly with dragonfly or frog designs. Frogs are kind of my specialty because I like to fabricate long legs and buggy eyes in the soft wax.

So now I have to wonder about myself doing all of those things that others must think are so foolish. Is there any wisdom in trying to cause momentary excitement in some future millennium? I’m not sure I can even define history in those terms. And what if no one ever discovers my art? Will my time have been wasted? I guess the rewards have been in doing it, and the enjoyment that comes with dreaming about what might happen someday. No matter. Is was more fund to run the risk of being foolish than to watch “Dancing with the Stars.”

The Nine Clue List - Jack - 06-18-2015

I've said it before, I'll say it again. The passage quoted by Gey above reflects the theme that runs throughout the book. He is attempting to reconcile or merge time with timelessness. He is looking for ways of merging his time on earth with the timelessness of the past and the future. He presents the theme in several places. This chapter, MWFM, and page 15 probably state it most clearly. You can see it in his vignettes, especially in the introduction paragraph which he repeats in each vignette. All of his poetry quotations in the book reinforce the same theme.

Gazing at stars is looking across time.

So that theme is the the theme of the poem and the clues that solve the puzzle. It is his motivation for hiding the chest and setting up the Chase. So the solution and the hiding place will reflect that same theme - a merging or intersection of time and timelessness.

Consider that time is linear with a beginning, middle, and end. Timelessness is nonlinear, beginnings and endings intersect (or endings lead to beginnings). Now look at the poem. Do you see a clear beginning, middle, and end? I do - stanzas 2,3, and 4. But why are they in the middle of the poem? Why? Think about the theme. Pay attention to his use of verb tenses in the poem. I submit that the path to take through the poem in order to find the solution fits the theme presented in the book. It is nonlinear. He hints at this strongly in My Spanish Toy Factory with all the circle imagery(nonlinear) and the intersection of First and French Streets (linear).

The Nine Clue List - 3paulb - 06-18-2015

I firmly believe that the nine clues will be irrelevant to the person who finds the chest. They may not even be able to distinguish what they are, but their sum will be an understanding of the treasure location.

no beginning middle nor end, only a logical place for the chest and FF to rest.