ChaseChat - Treasure Chat
I don't get the Black/White thing. - Printable Version

+- ChaseChat - Treasure Chat (https://www.chasechat.com)
+-- Forum: Forum (https://www.chasechat.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Forrest Fenn General Discussion (https://www.chasechat.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+---- Forum: The Therapy Room (https://www.chasechat.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Thread: I don't get the Black/White thing. (/showthread.php?tid=11551)

I don't get the Black/White thing. - Gordon Lightfoot - 02-05-2019

Your skin is an organ that protects you from bacteria and viruses...that's why when you cut yourself, it heals up quickly..to protect you from getting sick, and that's it's only purpose. Your shade of skin doesn't determine how smart you are, how rich you are, how clean your are, or if you smell or not (if you don't take a bath, you will start smelling). I have met white folks usually poor and uneducated, and they actually want you to believe that they are superior than you are because they do have lighter skin....I don't know what kind of parents raised them...oh sorry, yes I do, parents who enjoyed white privilege growing up during the 40s, 50's and 60's, and then heaven forbid, their grandparents who were even way worse than their parents. They were fed these lies of lighter skin shade superiority, and until this day, still believe it to be true. Of course, I know better. If judging how superior you are solely by the shade of your skin (and not every white person does), than you don't have much going for you. Oh, well.

Now, I see Black folks crying about statues, black faces, flags, words they deem to be racist (whatever the hell that is suppose to mean), every police officer is after them, everyone is against them, in 2019.

Whatever happened over 50 years ago, happened over 50 years ago, it's not happening now, but you can't convince a lot of black people of that, but wiser ones know better. It's all stupid to me. Blacks are going to cry wolf so much, that in the future no one is going to take them seriously...and that's my greatest fear.

Hispanics on the other hand, think that both sides are just out of their minds. (skin color, just skin color)

Old white racists are dying out, most over the age of 40, and young blacks who have never have had to sit at the back of the bus are just getting started. They don't know what it is like to see a "whites only" sign in front of businesses, parks, or waiting rooms. They talk about their ancestors being dragged here against their will, but I bet not one of them would want to go back to Africa. (I'll pay for their ticket).

I know that none of us would want to go back to Mexico, Europe, or Africa. That's why we are here, because we love our country.

I don't get the Black/White thing. - crazyfamily - 02-05-2019

Please don't start this.

razyfamily

RE: I don't get the Black/White thing. - Gordon Lightfoot - 02-05-2019

(02-05-2019, 07:41 AM)crazyfamily Wrote: Please don't start this.

razyfamily

Why not, crazyfamily......hits too close to home?

None of us are perfect, we all have biases, but the Governor of Virginia is being crucified for something as silly as putting black paint on his face a million years ago. Indeed, leave it buried in the past along with separate but equal.

If we don't strive for something better, we never will be.

I worked with this guy who was a college educated, good looking, funny, son of a rich white man. He would have been the kind of person I'd have enjoyed being friends with and had everything going for him - except one thing. He was racist.

When we would drive down the street and happen to see a few black guys, he'd say things like, "this is a bad neighborhood, lock your door." He would say little things like this all the time, always about black people. I'd never understood that kind of talk, where it came from.

My dad was an Air Force Officer. He had many faults, but many good attributes as well. In the '60's he would come home from the officers club, drunk, and then lecture my sister and I for a while before bedtime. Once, he sat us down, took out a dictionary and made us look at the "n" word. I don't know what could have incited this lesson from him at that moment, but the message stayed with me and I have passed it to my own kid. My great, great, grandad fought in the Union Army from 1862-1864 in many of the significant battles, and I have a commemorative army discharge document to prove it. My daughter is going to show it at school this week because it is significant to their studies of the civi war. She feels the pride in that document. It makes me emotional as I write about it, and brings me to tears in that pride.

Then one day, my friend told me.

He said one day when he was younger, his grandad took him to the closet and showed him something that he would not forget. It must have been haunting him his whole life because when he told me, it sounded like a confession. His grandad pulled down from the shelf, a box. I can't imagine what was going on in his mind, why he would proudly take that box down, and it is making me ill trying to think what he was thinking. My friend had been indoctrinated by his family. He didn't have a chance to think his own thoughts until much later in his life, and now was conflicted but couldn't make it stop. His grandfather took down this box, opened the lid and took out a belt made from the skin of a black man.

razyfamily

You haven't been here long. I used to say that I wouldn't initiate these kind of conversations, but I wouldn't sit silently on my hands. There are many things more important than Forrest Fenn's Chase of the Thrill.

razyfamily

RE: I don't get the Black/White thing. - boomergirl - 02-05-2019

What one man can do to another is beyond my comprehension. Visiting Savannah Georgia gave me feelings of sadness and shame for the United States of America.

I'm with ya'. If people haven't been to Birmingham, AL, you need to go just to see the civil rights museum. IMO, that's the only reason to go there.

razyfamily

RE: I don't get the Black/White thing. - Chris Yates - 02-05-2019

(02-05-2019, 08:06 AM)Gordon Lightfoot Wrote: None of us are perfect, we all have biases, but the Governor of Virginia is being crucified for something as silly as putting black paint on his face a million years ago. Indeed, leave it buried in the past along with separate but equal.

doesn't matter if things happened when you were in your 20's or younger

this is all fair game in politics now. look at Kavanaugh, Roy Moore, etc

every allegation needs to considered individually. a lot of them are specious

but wearing blackface with someone in a klan hood is a bridge too far for a governor

if this guy were a republican, he'd already been forced to resign

he does say now that it wasn't him. and he's going to try and prove that it wasn't

but this came after he admitted it was him in the photo and apologized

and when he admitted he was in the photo, he didn't say if he was the one in the klan garb or in blackface

who, being a governor of a state, admits to something like that not knowing if it was you?

so weird

It may have been different if he hadn't changed his story. Your comment is funny, Chris, because democrats are the ones who have no issue burning their own. Like Gary Hart, and John Edwards, both whom were promising candidates left out to dry over things that some people think are perfectly acceptable behavior for the office of the president.

razyfamily

RE: I don't get the Black/White thing. - Gordon Lightfoot - 02-05-2019

People are the same everywhere, that's why there is no peace in the world because it's always us against them.