ChaseChat - Forrest Fenn's Forum
How close is 500 feet ? - Printable Version

+- ChaseChat - Forrest Fenn's Forum (https://www.chasechat.com)
+-- Forum: Forum (https://www.chasechat.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: My search story (https://www.chasechat.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Thread: How close is 500 feet ? (/showthread.php?tid=238)

Pages: 1 2

How close is 500 feet ? - Guest - 07-24-2013

How close is 500 feet ?

Does anyone realize being within 500 feet there is over 18 acres of potential

search site ?

Thats alot of search area to look for a 500 cubic inch box.

Better bring a flashlight and a sandwich.

Oh yeah,Forrest already told us to do that.

[Image: 4otb8-Sand_witch1.jpg]

How close is 500 feet ? - Boo - 07-24-2013

Technically, anything from 1 foot to 5oo feet can make the statement true, as long as the word "within" is included, i.e. 15 feet is within 500 feet. But I don't subscribe to Forrest misleading or playing word games, outside of the poem, so I'm guessing the 500 foot mark is somewhere in the ballpark. Using my crystal ball, I see Forrest reading emails, then looking at a photo or map (or just going by memory), and guessing out the distance from the sender's description. Probably more like between 300 and 400 feet, so Forrest threw in an extra 100 just to keep it vague, but yet still accurate.

If someone somehow knew what place Forrest was speaking of, I'll bet one would see a natural direction to go from there where a chest could be hidden. In the mountains, there's usually only one or two directions you can go from any given point. Maybe even going back down the trail that lead you there, you may have gone 500 feet too far (within 500 feet, that is) Boo

P.S. Where did you get that image of my ex wife?

How close is 500 feet ? - Guest - 07-24-2013

I quantified with the word "potential".

Just making a point of that 500 feet is not necessarily 166.66666666666666666666666666667

paces and could be up to 785400 steps

I am a treasure hunter,I got your ex wife picture where you buried her.

How close is 500 feet ? - tomwhat - 07-25-2013

I'm guessing "500 feet" is around 100 - 200 yards. Always look at what he didn't say.

knowitall, it doesn't sound like Boo's ex is much of a treasure at all..

How close is 500 feet ? - Guest - 07-25-2013

<div class="bbcode_quote_head">Quote:
<b>Quote from tomwhat on July 25, 2013, 11:34 am</b>

I'm guessing "500 feet" is around 100 - 200 yards. Always look at what he didn't say.

knowitall, it doesn't sound like Boo's ex is much of a treasure at all..
</div>

I think I was there and I know why he gave that number,well because I am a

Knowitall.

Next time I am putting in at the home of brown and not going past that part.

He said go in order and I said to myself,Knowitall you Knowitall and Forrest says he doesn't knowitall.

So I skipped a step and went to the next and told him about it.

Got within the prescribed 500 feet as I anticipated and now I know what to do at the home of brown.

I could be wrong,but I cannot fathom that because I am Knowitall D. Braggart the Big Mouth in the Pickup Truck that Forrest said was gonna get the chest.

Oh yeah "fathom",500 feet is 45.567220764071157771945173519977 fathoms

Nah,I like the 166 paces and 28 feet better.

Which one was his ex wife ?

The one holding or the one being held ?

There was 2 choices in the sand witch picture.

How close is 500 feet ? - Guest - 07-25-2013

<b>Quote from John Brown on July 25, 2013, 11:00 pm</b>

Being within 500 feet doesn't narrow it down to anywhere near 18 acres! Basically it doesn't narrow it down at all. If you knew you were the person (which you don't) and nothing else, then on the particular day of the search in question being within 500 feet means roughly multiply the length of the path you followed times 1000'. If your path was only 1000' long then your search area would be 1000'x1000'=1,000,000 square feet which is about 23 acres. If your path was 10 miles long your search area would be about 10miles x 1000'~=1,200 acres.

''

'
</div>
"If you knew you were the person (which you don't) and nothing else,"

Your skepticism is understood.

But did you have to throw in the insult ?

I do think I know not only the location of being within 500 ' but why that number is used as the measuring rod.

So hypothetically speaking 500' from any given location the radius times itself times pi divided by 1 acre is 18 acre plus.

You might not know how to narrow down a location based on similar potential landmarks,but guess what ?

I did.

I know,I know,I have to retrieve the treasure to prove I am correct.

But if I did not foretell about it,then it would be considered fabricated after the fact.

I'm sure Forrest would have saved the emails and letters.

Though he will not share that info because it would not be fair.

Later he can say he was correct,that a big mouth redneck with a pickup truck got the treasure.

Besides,where in the poem is it written that there is a path to follow ?

You must be reading a different poem,maybe you are reading about the tour de france.

Just looked at poem again and their is no mention of a path at any point at all.

Do you know how to read a magnetic compass ?

How about using a drawing compass ?

Draw a circle with 500' radius and tell me about how many acres is there in the circle ?

Difference between you and me is I do know where to stick the compass.

How close is 500 feet ? - John Brown - 07-26-2013

<b>Quote from knowitall on July 25, 2013, 11:42 pm</b>
<div class="bbcode_quote">
<b>Quote from John Brown on July 25, 2013, 11:00 pm</b>

Being within 500 feet doesn't narrow it down to anywhere near 18 acres! Basically it doesn't narrow it down at all. If you knew you were the person (which you don't) and nothing else, then on the particular day of the search in question being within 500 feet means roughly multiply the length of the path you followed times 1000'. If your path was only 1000' long then your search area would be 1000'x1000'=1,000,000 square feet which is about 23 acres. If your path was 10 miles long your search area would be about 10miles x 1000'~=1,200 acres.

''

'
</div>
"If you knew you were the person (which you don't) and nothing else,"

Your skepticism is understood.

But did you have to throw in the insult ?

I do think I know not only the location of being within 500 ' but why that number is used as the measuring rod.

So hypothetically speaking 500' from any given location the radius times itself times pi divided by 1 acre is 18 acre plus.

You might not know how to narrow down a location based on similar potential landmarks,but guess what ?

I did.

I know,I know,I have to retrieve the treasure to prove I am correct.

But if I did not foretell about it,then it would be considered fabricated after the fact.

I'm sure Forrest would have saved the emails and letters.

Though he will not share that info because it would not be fair.

Later he can say he was correct,that a big mouth redneck with a pickup truck got the treasure.

Besides,where in the poem is it written that there is a path to follow ?

You must be reading a different poem,maybe you are reading about the tour de france.

Just looked at poem again and their is no mention of a path at any point at all.

Do you know how to read a magnetic compass ?

How about using a drawing compass ?

Draw a circle with 500' radius and tell me about how many acres is there in the circle ?

Difference between you and me is I do know where to stick the compass.

</div>
</div>

I am sorry if you felt insulted. I have no idea what was insulting though. Of course I don't believe you. I understand you think you know. So go get it. He made that 500' claim a long time ago. When he he say it the first time? A year ago? Two years ago? Biding your time eh? Once someone is in possession of the treasure all of us would be inclined to believe anything that person says about how they came to possess it. Regarding path: Are you going to recover the treasure without moving? If not you will trace out a path. It's that simple. Modulo minor difficulties with sharply curved paths the 500' clue essentially narrows the search area down to the length of the path that the unknown searcher followed times 1000'. Basically it doesn't narrow things down at all. He did not say that people had searched within 500'. He said searchers have been within 500'.

How close is 500 feet ? - Guest - 07-26-2013

John Brown

You still stuck in the linear mentality.

You keep redundantly stating path.

Now you have just got silly with the statement"Regarding path: Are you going to recover the treasure without moving? "

Maybe I am.

Maybe a person just has to go off the beaten path and find a nice campsite spot to pitch a tent and dig a firepit.

The poem says at that point it is no place for the meek.

Let's see,leaving the comforts of a well beaten path in the forest.

I'd say that fits inline with the theme.

Now this 500' issue is that Forrest said searchers were within 500'.

Let's just say for argument sake that you put in at the home of brown.

Or how about you didn't put in at the home of brown.

But you knew the basic direction from there and chose one other of the potential ways.

And you told Forrest exactly where you went.

Not only did he say searcher was within 500' but that searcher did not realize how close searcher was.

Sure that could mean searcher did not realize proximity,however he also mentioned that searchers only got first 2 clues correct.

He could be talking about different searchers,but I do not think so.

I think he was saying the searchers followed the correct theme even though separated at clue 3.

I know you still want to call that a path.

How about direction,is that a fair enough word ?

Either way,when going back to a search sight a person has to make a decision.

What puts me within 500' of the probable treasure location based on clue indicators if the theme was correct.

Decisions have to be made.

I decided the theme was correct but the direction at clue 3 was wrong.

You keep thinking put in is a path.

What if put in means you just had to enter the wood.

Better have a compass and know how to use it then hadn't you ?

Maybe you could leave a trial of breadcrumbs ?

Or how about a trail of postage stamps?

Is red dye number 2 healthy for trees ?

To heck with it,I'm sticking with koolaid cause I like eating it on the trip.

Lick the stamp,dip in sugar and voila a cunning treat to stamp the feet.

Stamp the feet does not mean river dancing.

Peace and Blessings

How close is 500 feet ? - tomwhat - 07-26-2013

<b>Quote from knowitall on July 26, 2013, 9:28 am</b>

</div>

We have to be. Forrest is a linear thinker. Creative and tricky yes, but not circular or deceitful. When the Chest is recovered and the interpretations known to all, we will read them and say "ah yes of course!" and "oh how clever!" never "what!?!? that doesn't even make sense!" nor "c'mon! that's not even close. how lame".

My top spot has each of the clues doubled up. On the surface each clue has one so obvious and unimaginative interpretation that any reasonable person would disregard it out of hand as just too stupid and childish to be right, but then a more subtle understanding (that only came with in-depth research and an open mind) that guides us ever closer.

I was playing Scrabble and had a "C", my step daughter looked over my shoulder and said "if you had 'A' and 'T' you could spell 'cat'". Cute. But then I got to looking at my tiles, and by using my blank and a few other letters I could spell 'categorize' on a triple word score. Never would have seen it, but for the eyes of a child.

How close is 500 feet ? - Guest - 07-26-2013

<b>Quote from tomwhat on July 26, 2013, 2:39 pm</b>
<div class="bbcode_quote">
<b>Quote from knowitall on July 26, 2013, 9:28 am</b>

</div>

We have to be. Forrest is a linear thinker. Creative and tricky yes, but not circular or deceitful. When the Chest is recovered and the interpretations known to all, we will read them and say "ah yes of course!" and "oh how clever!" never "what!?!? that doesn't even make sense!" nor "c'mon! that's not even close. how lame".

My top spot has each of the clues doubled up. On the surface each clue has one so obvious and unimaginative interpretation that any reasonable person would disregard it out of hand as just too stupid and childish to be right, but then a more subtle understanding (that only came with in-depth research and an open mind) that guides us ever closer.

I was playing Scrabble and had a "C", my step daughter looked over my shoulder and said "if you had 'A' and 'T' you could spell 'cat'". Cute. But then I got to looking at my tiles, and by using my blank and a few other letters I could spell 'categorize' on a triple word score. Never would have seen it, but for the eyes of a child.</div>
</div>

Male is linear and female is circular.

Now that open mind concept you used.

That would be done by a grouping of facts,notions or experiences.

And you would look at that totally objectively or emotionally also ?

How about beginning thru someone elses point of view ?

Forrest and Peggy have a nice collection to look at

http://www.splendidheritage.com/TitlePages/FennTitlePage.html