Not logged in. Login - Register

All new registrations need to be approved manually. After registration, mail me at tyblossom at aol dot com.
ChaseChat is available for Smartphones via Tapatalk, Download the app at http://tapatalk.com/m?id=4&referer=1048173. After installing CLICK HERE to add the forum to Tapatalk.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Just take the chest and go in peace?
06-02-2015, 06:25 PM,
Hi Mack,

My gut feeling is that every line is important, and they must all be figured out before we get the treasure. I am operating under the assumption that we don't find the gold until we reach the end of the last line, which just happens to be the word "gold."

I have felt for years that the main way that people are going wrong solving the poem is by looking too far ahead. They try to figure out HOB before they have nailed down WWWH. They debate the possible nature of the blaze endlessly before finding HOB, or even finding anything at all. They start trying to solve the poem at "no paddle up your creek," or "brave and in the wood." Etc. Forrest has said the clues in the poem are in consecutive order. My working assumption then is that they need to be solved in consecutive order or they don't make any sense.

A while back I decided to start over at the beginning and not waste any effort on things in the poem further ahead of the bit I am working on at the time. Only after I believe I have solved a clue, do I look ahead and tackle the next part of the poem. That's not to say I totally ignore the part of the poem I haven't yet solved. I do feel it is possible that the poem is self-referential. I do parse through the whole poem looking for anything that may help enlighten me about the particular clue I am working on at the moment. However, I don't spend any real effort trying to "solve ahead" of the point where I am. It is a strategy that seems to be working for me. Time will tell.

So does "take the chest and go in peace" mean we are at the treasure? I kind of doubt it, but I'm not going to worry about it just yet. I'm still working on the blaze.

mdavis19
06-02-2015, 06:31 PM,

<div class="bbcode_quote_head">Quote:
<b>Quote from 3paulb on June 2, 2015, 6:33 pm</b>

Welcome Mack

Why would your solution sensibly end at "but tarry scant with marvel gaze". You have long way to go if your still standing in that spring.
</div>

Thanks for the welcome!

Well, my solution/delusion (fine line) takes me to a logical ending spot finished by "But tarry scant with marvel gaze". No spring involved, but also no treasure! Hence, I'm on a quest to figure out if the remaining lines of the poem after and including "Just take the chest...." were designed to take the searcher past where the "but tarry scant..." drops the off at. Like you said it may be that I've "a long way to go".
06-02-2015, 06:54 PM,
Hi Chris, Mr. Fenn said that every word was important, and I thought it only fair to pass that on, wether I agree with it or not. My thinking was that if the two endings are interchangeable then there is probably no directional information there.
06-02-2015, 10:12 PM,
here are my crazy thoughts on "just take the chest and go in peace":

Each layer is a <b>deliberate</b> interpretation

Literal - (you) pick up the tc

Birth - (baby) grab the breast and suck

Death - (dead man) accept the coffin

Secret - think man and woman

this is just ONE of several themes in Fenn's brilliant masterpiece

Ω  200 ft. Club  Ω
06-02-2015, 10:23 PM,
you are not done at just take the chest and go in peace. You have 5 or six more words to figure out. Its a word game remember.
06-03-2015, 12:49 AM,
You will have used that entire stanza at least 1 time to complete the whole poem. So after "title to the gold" you start over at "if you've been wise..". That is my take. Its a funnel if you know what I mean..

06-03-2015, 04:16 PM,
LOL. Too funny. Smile
Shhh they aren't listening.
06-04-2015, 09:37 AM,

<b>Quote from Liv on June 3, 2015, 1:19 am</b>

It does feel like the poem was written by two people, doesn't it?

I think the reason why is because the first part, until the "go in peace" was done while he was waiting for the inevitable, and he polished it for quite a few years (he done it tired, from chemotherapy among others. A very close relative succumbed from cancer and that's how she put it: tired).

The last two stanzas were written more recently, probably after he decided to write the book and leave the chest out there anyway (and now he's weak, as in wavering/hesitating).

So, something in his well laid plans changed (fate ruined them as he got well) therefore now he'll "give you title to the gold".

What to take away from all of this?

He came up with the whole plan, including the final resting spot, while he was battling the unmentionable, and chances are that the chest is in NM (remember he was tired, hence had to stay close to home).

Anyway, this is my story and I'm sticking with it.
</div>

Hi Liv,

That is an interesting theory... to you does it kinda implies finding the chest ends at "Just take the chest...", but possibly the remains stanzas are meant to tie up loose ends of legal issues?

I hope it's not true, both because I am then stuck (my solve ends at "Just take the chest..") and it removes some of the romanticism of the whole thing.

Since my solve takes me to a spot, I'm still trying to figure out if the remaining stanzas somehow describe how it is hidden. Sadly this doesn't jive with his comments about if a searcher was within 12' it would be unlikely that they'd miss it.
06-04-2015, 09:58 AM,

<b>Quote from admin on June 3, 2015, 6:16 am</b>

maybe peace symbol is blaze.
</div>

Nice point. Okay so this is a way to look at it. Obviously, "Take the chest and go in peace" can mean alot of things, so lets use this for example. Have you seen one of these road signs? What if that is a blaze? and then we look quickly down to the end of that road where it forks off. We take a tarry scants and marvelously we realize now, we have to go in "This" direction (left or right? have no clue). "And then we just take the chest and go in peace" or simply 500 (10x10x5 chest) paces (i just left of the E" in peace") in a direction in which you choose/told.

Most of the time when the directions are followed correctly, you know which step to take next when you get the next step.

[Image: 808cv-fork.jpg]

06-05-2015, 04:08 AM,
If you've been Y's and found the blaze, look quickly down (in the poem)...

So Y is it that I must go...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Peace in the Chase intheknow 5 940 10-26-2019, 10:45 AM
Last Post: Seeker9
  Go in Peace - Hardest line Riddlemethat 8 1,988 09-15-2019, 06:56 PM
Last Post: mrknow
  On a other side speaking of peace btw 5GIRLS 7 3,334 11-07-2018, 05:43 PM
Last Post: John Brown
  Peace will197532 5 2,567 04-28-2018, 03:08 PM
Last Post: admin
Question Life’s Ending Peace (new question from ff) decall 24 19,483 01-25-2018, 05:10 PM
Last Post: John Brown
  Going in peace. Itchy Ideas 4 2,710 09-25-2017, 09:11 AM
Last Post: old drum