Not logged in. Login - Register

All new registrations need to be approved manually. After registration, mail me at tyblossom at aol dot com.
ChaseChat is available for Smartphones via Tapatalk, Download the app at http://tapatalk.com/m?id=4&referer=1048173. After installing CLICK HERE to add the forum to Tapatalk.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
When did FF actually hide the trove?
02-08-2014, 09:51 PM,
The 15 years is how long it took him to collect the things for the chest and for him to write the poem. He didn't hide it 15 years after he had cancer, but I don't doubt that he might have said that on accident. I he did...it was a mistake. My understanding of the timeline is he had cancer in 1988 and that took a year or two to get into remission. He spent 15 years writing the poem and collecting things. I'm not exactly sure when he had it filled. He wrote the book 6 months prior to hiding the chest and starting the Chase....The chest was hidden either in 2009 or 2010. He had asked Douglas Preston and 3 other writer friends to write his memoir, but they declined and I'm guessing this was at the time he had cancer, because he didn't feel he would be alive when the book was finished. Then he beat the cancer.
02-08-2014, 10:29 PM,
Personally I don't think much of when it was hid. Although I have heard that FF shown the chest to a friend as late as 2008 or 9, Just hear say, I do not have a reference to that. But the interesting thing about the changes to the poem is, In an Daily Beast article of Feb. 3 2013, Fenn is quoted saying an earlier draft of the poem ended, " Then take the chest and leave my bones". This is interesting for the reason of the 22nd line would have had to be different as well. "Your effort will be worth the cold."... Then take the chest and leave my bones Just doesn't fit. what could the 22nd line have been?

In fact as you have pointed out he read the last for line with hesitation of sorts reaching for his glasses as if to make sure of the correct words.
02-09-2014, 08:18 AM,
I've posted my theory about this in the past, but i can't find the link, so I will summarize:

I think he spent 15 years crafting and preparing the hide location. Then, he hid something of value (like a bronze jar) at the hide location in 2003 (at the 15 year mark) as sort of a trial-run for a few reasons:

1. Would anyone stumble upon this spot by accident (hunter, camper, hobo, etc.)?

2. Do I really have the cojones to do this?

3. To let any associated markings mature a little bit.

Then, 6 years later in 2009 (at age 79) he went back there (second trip) and added the treasure chest to this location. I believe that I read somewhere that he mentioned that one of the bronze jars is near the TC.

IMO, of course Smile
02-09-2014, 08:32 AM,
Interesting concept - and I also remember very the hidden books/scarf story but how does this explain his recent statement that the trove was hidden 15 years after he got cancer? Then there were the photographs of the treasure and those who witnessed it prior to being hidden. What were those dates?

Something is not adding up!
02-09-2014, 09:19 AM,
I haven't researched his exact words on <b>what</b> was hidden at the 15 year mark. The 15 year mark could be when he started the actual hiding process, which could have lasted 6 years, perhaps.

I do recall reading that his friends witnessed the TC in 2009, which fits my theory, because I think he hid it immediately after that.
02-09-2014, 02:14 PM,

<div class="bbcode_quote_head">Quote:
<b>Quote from clinger on February 9, 2014, 7:46 am</b>

Also, Seeker made me think of what might be a good contest. Using the line "Then take the chest and leave my bones" as the last line to the poem. Everyone re-write the last stanza as in:

So hear me all and listen good,

seek out the head of natures stones.

If crosses found of earth and wood,

then take the chest and leave my bones

Clinger
</div>

OK, here's mine:

McCoy and Uhura in beam.

"There's Not enough juice" Scott bemoans;

So Kirk has to choose for the team,

"Then take The Chest and leave my Bones."

As for the date, I came up with the summer of 2010, but there's nothing really to back that.
02-09-2014, 02:33 PM,

<b>Quote from muset on February 9, 2014, 2:14 pm</b>
<div class="bbcode_quote">
<b>Quote from clinger on February 9, 2014, 7:46 am</b>

Also, Seeker made me think of what might be a good contest. Using the line "Then take the chest and leave my bones" as the last line to the poem. Everyone re-write the last stanza as in:

So hear me all and listen good,

seek out the head of natures stones.

If crosses found of earth and wood,

then take the chest and leave my bones

Clinger
</div>

OK, here's mine:

McCoy and Uhura in beam.

"There's Not enough juice" Scott bemoans;

So Kirk has to choose for the team,

"Then take The Chest and leave my Bones."

As for the date, I came up with the summer of 2010, but there's nothing really to back that.</div>
</div>

If you need a victim for a transporter accident... just write in the part of the PREVIOUSLY UNKNOWN RED-SHIRTED CREWMAN... problem solved...

No need to choose between DOCTOR & GALLACTIC CHEERLEADERS... Big Grin

In parting, I say "LIVE LONG & PROSPER... But stay the HECK away from that CHEST..." Big Grin

02-09-2014, 03:41 PM,
I can't remember where I read it or who wrote it, but one person figured out that the 15 years started after he was done with all the cancer treatments and in complete remission. So it worked out to 2009 or 2010.

I'm thinking June of 2010. Smile
02-09-2014, 05:19 PM,
Smile

Thank you Stephanie!

02-09-2014, 05:35 PM,
ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

Here is a few extra to cut and paste with, just in case you continue to have trouble. Your welcome.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  when ff left to hide treasure Chris Yates 12 1,168 05-23-2020, 05:19 AM
Last Post: crazyfamily
  Take Chest/Leave Trove 5GIRLS 2 683 09-23-2019, 08:06 AM
Last Post: 5GIRLS
  Why Hide? Riddlemethat 6 1,507 03-23-2019, 07:50 AM
Last Post: Riddlemethat
  Go & leave he trove, so all b fair 5GIRLS 3 1,393 10-29-2018, 09:00 PM
Last Post: 5GIRLS
  Why did forrest hide the chest that close. mikemarcum878 2 1,196 07-13-2018, 03:02 AM
Last Post: DeeepThnkr
  Forrest said it took him "less." then a "few." miles to hide the TC. mikemarcum878 2 1,558 06-24-2018, 11:05 AM
Last Post: mikemarcum878