Not logged in. Login - Register

All new registrations need to be approved manually. After registration, mail me at tyblossom at aol dot com.
ChaseChat is available for Smartphones via Tapatalk, Download the app at http://tapatalk.com/m?id=4&referer=1048173. After installing CLICK HERE to add the forum to Tapatalk.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FF after the Fact statements...
03-11-2014, 01:45 AM,
NTMI, do you have any memory of eating a a pimento cheese sandwich on Wonder Bread? There are no words to describe the agony, lol.
03-11-2014, 06:47 AM,

<div class="bbcode_quote_head">Quote:
<b>Quote from Jason on March 10, 2014, 2:03 pm</b>

Fenn has said, "I wasn't playing games" and that the poem is "straight-forward".........

These statements made me think of a riddle I saw somewhere a while back...... It might have been in a Saturday Evening Post magazine, but I don't remember........

Let's just call it "Finding the King"

Five-hundred begins it, five-hundred ends it, and five in the middle is seen.

The first of all letters, the first of all numbers take up the space in between.

Put it together and what you will find, is the name of a righteous king.

The answer is "DAVID"........

D = roman numeral for 500, A = first of all letters, I = first of all roman numbers.

After reading this riddle, I tried to apply its simplicity to Fenn's poem.......... I scribbled some notes on a piece of paper, and I'll try to reproduce the notes below in a more legible format........ (hopefully this works)

[Image: 1s794-Fenn-poem.jpg]

Edit: There are other math-like equations in the poem...... just substitute = for "is"

Other equations:

So "y" = it (that i must go)......so after removing i, the equation becomes y = t

Your effort = cold value

This method never really took me anywhere. But it made me think of the poem in a different, more mechanical, way....... Instead of trying to understand the phrases metaphorically, this method is more "straight forward"....
</div>

@Jason, Have you ever done cryptoquips? What do you think about the poem as a cryptoquip? Each word would actually stand for another word. With one "word that is key." My "tight focus" changes from time to time but right now it is Brown. Most common word in the poem is 'and' with 9. 166 words total. Funny cause we are not supposed to mess with the poem but that is what the whole chase is messin with the poem. That and some fantastic hiking.

03-11-2014, 07:18 AM,
Cryptoguips. I know of at least two searchers looking into that line of thinking. As appealing as it maybe, a letter or word found that will answer a hidden message, are there not computer software available that would speed up that process. For me that seems [for lack of a better term] too easy. I'm not saying I disagree with it, just seems 15 years would be a long time to throw together such a puzzle that could be worked out relatively simple. Unless I'm misunderstanding what a Cryptoquip is.
03-11-2014, 07:58 AM,
Big Grin
03-11-2014, 09:18 AM,
I'm always trying to think about it from ff's perspective. He is trying to give extremely vague directions to the TC. They need to fit thousands of locations but also the one true hidey spot. He needs to use words with many different meanings. Like warm. Warm could mean a whole bunch of different things. Waters could mean completely different thing to different people. In the books he talks about at least 5 or 6 different blazes. Cryptoquip is just a simple code. No difference to this poem. No different than Catcher in the Rye. Some things have several layers of meanings. WWWH probably has nothing to do with temperature and there probably isn't even any water there, IMHO. The next canyon in the poem is probably not the canyon you are going to end up in that's why it is too far to walk.

The next thing ff has to do is sprinkle in a lot of flack, chaff, red herrings. These things need to be very interesting, important to him in his life. These are the first places most of the sheep are going to go. YNP, New Mexico, anyplace with brown trout. If it is too simple or too obvious then just like you said it doesn't take 15 years to work it out.
03-11-2014, 09:32 AM,
I think if your in the right spot all of the meanings and red herrings will all come to light. Have you ever looked at a crossword puzzle and felt overwhelmed but once you looked at the answer you can put the puzzle together
03-11-2014, 09:50 AM,
I think we look at the poem the same, as well as others do. but, I am a true believer that the poem was written not to be confusing but to throw you off at the very start { start at the beginning }. The reason I believe it has so many possibilities may be because there are different ways to read it as well as understand it. Why do most believe the poem is about, FF hiding a chest full of gold and challenging all to find it? Because it is cleverly and simply written to do so.

So If one is looking at the poem just this way... will WWWWH or Canyon or HOB or heavy loads or water high etc. EVER be a single place or meaning? My thoughts { even if they turn out to be wrong } can ONLY have one place of meaning for those words and phrase. The way I read the poem, tells me of only one. But understanding the significance of the poem is another thing.
03-11-2014, 09:56 AM,
I think he is trying to allude that some people are getting close.
03-11-2014, 10:03 AM,

<div class="bbcode_quote_head">Quote:
<b>Quote from Buddy Allen on March 11, 2014, 10:56 am</b>

I think he is trying to allude that some people are getting close.
</div>

Ah! the real question then, at least for me is, Are they close on theory or in person?

The statement,... with in 500' but when right by,... tells me some have been in the right, "close", area, but not the right solve. Same as... some got the 1st two clues correct and went passed the other 7... Is there now some that are close to the area with their theory or solve that is also very close?
03-11-2014, 10:11 AM,
If he really doesn't care when it is found then why would he feel the need to fan the flames? Why go on the Today show? I am pretty sure the 500 feet and the first 2 clues are different people at different times. The 500 feet may not even be searchers. These are all just things he says, like word that is key, to see what kind of reaction he gets out of us.