Not logged in. Login - Register

All new registrations need to be approved manually. After registration, mail me at tyblossom at aol dot com.
ChaseChat is available for Smartphones via Tapatalk, Download the app at http://tapatalk.com/m?id=4&referer=1048173. After installing CLICK HERE to add the forum to Tapatalk.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Metal Detector Recommendations?
11-26-2018, 11:22 PM,
Metal Detector Recommendations?
I figure some of you probably know a thing or two about metal detectors. I am actually looking for a Christmas gift for my daughter. She is 11, and really wants one. I don' want to spend more than $75 or $100 but I also want the thing to work. I know nothing about them. This probably isn't very Chase related, but I would appreciate your educated input. If it happens to find me some Treasure then that's a bonus!
11-27-2018, 07:25 AM,
RE: Metal Detector Recommendations?
Garret ace 250

Anything less is a toy
11-29-2018, 06:21 PM,
(11-26-2018, 11:22 PM)DeltaDuo Wrote: I figure some of you probably know a thing or two about metal detectors. I am actually looking for a Christmas gift for my daughter. She is 11, and really wants one. I don' want to spend more than $75 or $100 but I also want the thing to work. I know nothing about them. This probably isn't very Chase related, but I would appreciate your educated input. If it happens to find me some Treasure then that's a bonus!
its hard to get a decent one for under 200.00 but the bountyhunters are probably the best choice and can be found around 100.00
(YouTube Subscribe)
11-29-2018, 06:56 PM,
(11-26-2018, 11:22 PM)DeltaDuo Wrote: I figure some of you probably know a thing or two about metal detectors. I am actually looking for a Christmas gift for my daughter. She is 11, and really wants one. I don' want to spend more than $75 or $100 but I also want the thing to work. I know nothing about them. This probably isn't very Chase related, but I would appreciate your educated input. If it happens to find me some Treasure then that's a bonus!

I've been reluctant to chime in because I'm a newbie myself. I have a couple, and the to echo what IG said, my favorite is the Bounty Hunter Time Ranger. I do a lot of research before buying gadgets, and this one was highly praised virtually everywhere I looked. I ended up buying a couple of extra coils - one bigger and one for gold - as well as a case, and I couldn't be happier with the value.

The big treasure hunter forums are probably better able to advise you than us, but I'd be surprised if they suggest something other than Bounty Hunter for an entry-level model.

Good luck!
11-29-2018, 08:14 PM,
(11-29-2018, 07:51 PM)EastonS19 Wrote:
Dont waste your money...
You need to spend at least $400.00.
Then you need a pin pointer. $100.00
Then you need a good digging tool. $50.00
Minelab E-trac cost $1500.00 plus used...
Whites MXT. cost $400.00. used.
Then there is a long list of coils.
Here is the trick. All metal detectors "detect" metal
a good one will tell you what the type of metal is.
Silver, copper, gold, lead, brass, aluminum, iron....
A better one will tell you pull tab or bottle cap or iron. (junk)
Some will tell you the size of the object, penny or quarter....
Some will tell you shape , ring for example.
Some will tell you how confident the information it is
telling you is correct.
Cheap ones will not give much discrimination or description
as to what the metal is, therefore she will be digging a lot
of junk and will get frustrated.
Advice, buy used, spend $500.00+ use a 6" x 10" "DD" coil.
When she gets tired of it, you can sell again and get
90% of your money back.
I have had several in the past with many coils. The DD 6x10
is great coil.
Stay out of parks built from the 70s as there is too much
junk and no pre64 silver.
Buy used..... Whites MXT or MXT Pro...

I would agree, except this is supposed to be for an 11 yr old, who probably has never used one before. I have a Garrett AT Gold and it’s pretty good for coins and relics, I found thing with it that my other detectors have missed.
(YouTube Subscribe)
11-30-2018, 08:48 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-30-2018, 08:51 AM by astree.)

I picked up a Bounty Hunter Discovery 2200 at Costco for less than $100, if I recall. It might be a good way to test the waters. (they are not full time items, but might be online).

I thought the following article had some good points, but didnt see much research behind locating promising spots.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_p...acket.html

edit: i think it was on sale at Costco. Heres a link to online walmart

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Bounty-Hunter...r/14667071
=====

DON’T RESEARCH...THINK!!!

https://www.allmovie.com/movie/v46056

WP (stock symbol)
12-01-2018, 10:01 AM,
Thanks for all the replies. Maybe one of the recommended ones will pop up on FB Marketplace.
12-02-2018, 01:08 PM,
(11-29-2018, 08:14 PM)illinoisghost Wrote:
(11-29-2018, 07:51 PM)EastonS19 Wrote:
Dont waste your money...
You need to spend at least $400.00.
Then you need a pin pointer. $100.00
Then you need a good digging tool. $50.00
Minelab E-trac cost $1500.00 plus used...
Whites MXT. cost $400.00. used.
Then there is a long list of coils.
Here is the trick. All metal detectors "detect" metal
a good one will tell you what the type of metal is.
Silver, copper, gold, lead, brass, aluminum, iron....
A better one will tell you pull tab or bottle cap or iron. (junk)
Some will tell you the size of the object, penny or quarter....
Some will tell you shape , ring for example.
Some will tell you how confident the information it is
telling you is correct.
Cheap ones will not give much discrimination or description
as to what the metal is, therefore she will be digging a lot
of junk and will get frustrated.
Advice, buy used, spend $500.00+ use a 6" x 10" "DD" coil.
When she gets tired of it, you can sell again and get
90% of your money back.
I have had several in the past with many coils. The DD 6x10
is great coil.
Stay out of parks built from the 70s as there is too much
junk and no pre64 silver.
Buy used..... Whites MXT or MXT Pro...

I would agree, except this is supposed to be for an 11 yr old, who probably has never used one before. I have a Garrett AT Gold and it’s pretty good for coins and relics, I found thing with it that my other detectors have missed.

Isn't the AT Gold like 700 bucks? I heard its good, but not in the pricing the poster is looking for.

Problem is, if you buy a cheap detector, plan on being out of the sport quickly as you will find nothing but junk and become discouraged. I say get a better detector, and if its not used, you use it, or just sell it. Going cheap will equal disappointment here.

Cruiser likes Mustard FJ40's, do you?
12-02-2018, 06:33 PM,
The metal detector I used kept going off and getting me thrown off properties. My orange work vest gets me right in to do as I please.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Any recommendations for a product... GoneAlone 9 3,987 09-22-2017, 03:43 PM
Last Post: John Brown
  Do you bring a metal detector with you while searching? GoneAlone 14 7,566 07-14-2016, 11:28 AM
Last Post: Indy
  Off Topic-Metal Detecting Help Mindy 3 2,585 03-05-2016, 09:55 PM
Last Post: ThrillChaser
  Metal Detector vs "In Plain View" / Exposed astree 48 27,374 10-26-2015, 04:43 AM
Last Post: astree
  Metal Detector Chris Yates 3 1,743 06-20-2015, 03:06 PM
Last Post: Project Why