Not logged in. Login - Register

All new registrations need to be approved manually. After registration, mail me at tyblossom at aol dot com.
ChaseChat is available for Smartphones via Tapatalk, Download the app at http://tapatalk.com/m?id=4&referer=1048173. After installing CLICK HERE to add the forum to Tapatalk.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Nine Clue List
03-13-2014, 10:43 AM,
The Nine Clue List
suatry22,

I agree that Wolf's list should not be considered a "master" list of the nine clues. New searchers could be misled by that. I read right past the "master" remark and just thought of it as a starting point for a discussion.

Thanks for catching that and pointing it out. Wolf did say "let the debate begin" so maybe he just wanted a discussion also. I think he should make it clear that his list is just "his" list and not a "master" list by any means.

jdh
03-13-2014, 10:51 AM,
The Nine Clue List
jdh...I totally agree! It's all there.
03-13-2014, 10:53 AM,
The Nine Clue List
Seeker,

I agree with you also. It's all how we interpret the information he has given.

Not to be nit-picky but you gave us 9 numbers and said you were giving us 8. Or perhaps zero is not a number? That could be seen as misleading and I know you are not saying Mr. Fenn is misleading. He's just giving us the room to go where we want to go.

jdh

03-13-2014, 10:59 AM,
The Nine Clue List
I read the poem as a journey. When I first joined the chase, I thought it was probably Forrest's journey to hide the treasure. Now after a couple of years of trying to crack it, I have a more nuanced view of the poem. It is definitely a journey, probably several journeys mashed up, but none of them necessarily lead to THE treasure, as you might expect on first reading the poem. The clues in the poem lead you to the treasure, but the clues are hard to spot. Rather than a clue being a given sentence or line, I see the clues as a set of themes in the poem, spread across lines and stanzas. I'd share them with you, but they represent a couple of years work on my part, and nobody else seems to be picking them out, so I'm thinking I should keep them to myself for now. My point is that dividing the poem up into lines and assigning clue numbers to them is not the only way to do things. And since it hasn't gotten anyone to the treasure so far after years of trying, it may not be the right way to do things.

mdavis19
03-13-2014, 10:59 AM,
The Nine Clue List
All,

This list is intended to be the master 9 clues thread as in it will be at the top of the 9 clues thread list (via sticky). The list I put down was my interpretation and the debate is for you guys to put down your interpretation. My list is not intended to be "THE LIST" but rather a catalyst to get discussion going. Debate away...
03-13-2014, 11:04 AM,
The Nine Clue List

<div class="bbcode_quote_head">Quote:
<b>Quote from jdh on March 13, 2014, 11:53 am</b>

Seeker,

Not to be nit-picky but you gave us 9 numbers and said you were giving us 8. Or perhaps zero is not a number? That could be seen as misleading and I know you are not saying Mr. Fenn is misleading. He's just giving us the room to go where we want to go.

jdh
</div>

I said 8 "numbers" 1, 1, 4, 4, 10, 9, 2, 1.= 8 numbers, I didn't want to make it too easy. that is my whole point. it's difficult but not impossible. And Please don't think I would take it as picky... after all it is a debate.
03-13-2014, 11:18 AM,
The Nine Clue List

<b>Quote from Seeker on March 13, 2014, 12:04 pm</b>
<div class="bbcode_quote">

Seeker,

jdh
</div>

I said 8 "numbers" 1, 1, 4, 4, 10, 9, 2, 1.= 8 numbers, I didn't want to make it too easy. that is my whole point. it's difficult but not impossible. And Please don't think I would take it as picky... after all it is a debate.</div>
</div>

Let me try this on you jdh. riddle; there is a sport that is played in many schools, and if one become a pro at this sport can make a lot of money. I'll even give you a hint... the sport starts with a " T ".

I used this example before, I don't look at the poem as misleading as much as a misdirection.{ I'm sure some will try to debate that is the same but...} to save time the T is misleading the reader to think the sport's name must start with the letter T, but the sport is "golf" and the game starts at the Tee. Misleading or Misdirection...or just clever? your choice
03-13-2014, 11:31 AM,
The Nine Clue List

<b>Quote from Seeker on March 13, 2014, 12:04 pm</b>
<div class="bbcode_quote">

Seeker,

jdh
</div>

I said 8 "numbers" 1, 1, 4, 4, 10, 9, 2, 1.= 8 numbers, I didn't want to make it too easy. that is my whole point. it's difficult but not impossible. And Please don't think I would take it as picky... after all it is a debate.</div>
</div>

OK, so now I'm going to be nit-picky. If 11 and 44 are two numbers, why isn't 109 three? I think that could be misleading. I hope if nothing else, Mr. Fenn is consistent in how he uses his words in the poem. Otherwise difficult could become nearly impossible.

jdh
03-13-2014, 11:54 AM,
The Nine Clue List
Seeker,

I have seen you use that riddle example before. I did not have the answer... I was baffled. I think it's a great riddle and an excellent example of how the poem was written. That's why people talk about the different levels of the poem. The first level is clearly black and white and is great for those that see things that way. Are they wrong? Not in the least.

But the artist or musician do not see that way. They see things differently. Are they wrong? What about the biologist or historian. Do they see things the same as the others? And the philosopher and the techie... are details important to either?

I posted a question many months ago asking how would people write their own poem to a hidden treasure. It got no responses but the idea was to try to open eyes to the different ways in which people would do the same thing that Mr. Fenn has done. And hopefully expose the vast possibilities of how this poem could be structured.

I find imagination is essential in writing something that people will enjoy... both the author's and reader's. In this hunt I think it truly is more important than knowledge.

jdh
03-13-2014, 11:57 AM,
The Nine Clue List
as I shown in the above comment, the 109 is not representing what you think, but what I meant. The whole point of the poem {IMO}. The 109 is numbers 10 and 9 or 10 - 9. But because I used single digit numbers for all the others, it "made it look like" all the numbers are single digits...10 is still a number just a double digit number. Nothing misleading or even misdirected, just difficult but not impossible to see it. And why I agreed with you on the part that FF is very knowledgeable to the Human condition.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  List all the clues 5GIRLS 86 37,372 10-05-2017, 08:51 PM
Last Post: E.C. Waters
  The Checkoff List...... Gordon Lightfoot 2 1,674 05-08-2017, 10:55 AM
Last Post: Gordon Lightfoot
  Fenn's Nine Clues...Can we now list them? Bytor 31 21,011 10-14-2016, 05:07 PM
Last Post: HIPS
  My narcissist list Skipper 38 22,818 10-13-2016, 04:55 PM
Last Post: Skipper
  I had a key word list James Perotti 9 3,795 09-28-2014, 07:47 AM
Last Post: James Perotti