Not logged in. Login - Register

All new registrations need to be approved manually. After registration, mail me at tyblossom at aol dot com.
ChaseChat is available for Smartphones via Tapatalk, Download the app at http://tapatalk.com/m?id=4&referer=1048173. After installing CLICK HERE to add the forum to Tapatalk.

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
It's Time To Come To Terms...
01-12-2019, 10:03 PM,
RE: It's Time To Come To Terms...
The "gut feeling" brought temporary exuberance and kicked the can down the road. Many believe this marketing gimmick's shelf life expired and now some are wondering if, since the discovery did not materialize, that maybe there is no chest to be found.
01-13-2019, 12:37 PM,
Even Toby had to go over and spell it out to the extreme religious group known as "Hairy's Church of Fenn" that the likelihood of the chest hidden is totally based on blind faith.
01-13-2019, 06:30 PM,
(01-12-2019, 08:45 PM)Mindy Wrote:
(01-12-2019, 01:25 PM)crazyfamily Wrote: “There’s nothing worse than facts written wrong. “

razyfamily

History is nothing more than lies agreed upon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(01-12-2019, 01:49 PM)dude here Wrote:
(01-12-2019, 01:25 PM)crazyfamily Wrote: “There’s nothing worse than facts written wrong. “

razyfamily

"I'd have to tell everything straight because nothing is worse than facts written wrong."

That doesn't mean the facts have to be true.

"Besides, non-fiction writers don't have to be right but eighty-five percent of the time and everyone knows that. How else can a person write a book?"

All I know are the facts, if you want the truth go next door to the psychology department. f

Not all of history is lies. But some brainpower is a prerequisite for the
ability to distinguish lies from facts.
01-13-2019, 09:31 PM,
(01-12-2019, 09:00 PM)Mindy Wrote: Interesting— the very first paragraph of ttotc mentions some words that F has touched upon many times since:

“All of the stories that MINGLE among these pages are as TRUE to HISTORY as one man can average out the TRUTH, considering the FACT that one of my natural instincts is to EMBELLISH just a little. Nevertheless, the story about my treasure chest is TRUE, and if it doesn’t stir your spirit then I HOPE at least it brings a smile in one of YOUR DREAMS.”

Sort of makes me think he’s been hinting at this first paragraph all the while.

Lots of “key” words— AVERAGE, ONE MAN (ALONE), FACT, TRUTH, HOPE, DREAMS.

Is that the only way we can find it? In our dreams? Is its purpose just to stir our spirit? A little further down the page, he writes:

“My ONLY goal in this endeavor is to talk a few of my life experiences...”

Nowhere on that first introductory page does it say anything about the possibility of actually finding it. It actually hints at the reader NOT finding it.

And when he almost found Captain Kidd's treasure in TTOC he was dreaming...then he woke up and couldn't remember if he found it.
01-13-2019, 09:31 PM,
It's a common misconception by true believers, that those who do not believe a chest is there to be found have been defeated by Fenn's poem, or are burnt out and bitter. The fact is, there is ample evidence in TTOTC to arrive at such conclusion with never having attempted to solve even one clue, nor ever step one boot on the ground.
01-14-2019, 05:36 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-14-2019, 05:57 AM by Mindy.)
(01-13-2019, 09:31 PM)crazyfamily Wrote: It's a common misconception by true believers, that those who do not believe a chest is there to be found have been defeated by Fenn's poem, or are burnt out and bitter. The fact is, there is ample evidence in TTOTC to arrive at such conclusion with never having attempted to solve even one clue, nor ever step one boot on the ground.

I agree. But for those of us who had hoped, there comes a point when all your research, and your reading of the book upteen million times, leads you not to a physical treasure chest, but to an “awakening.” That the thrill was always meant to be in the chase.

“It’s not the quarry you seek, but the chase.”

Just like we are not seeking the end of life, but are enjoying the journey there.

The TS Eliot poem everyone loves to quote I think says it all:

“We shall not cease from exploration
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time.”

Earlier in this poem, we see a little context for this particular bit:

“And what you thought you came for
Is only a shell, a husk of meaning
From which the purpose breaks only when it is fulfilled
If at all. Either you had no purpose
Or the purpose is beyond the end you figured
And is altered in fulfilment.”

We start this chase with nothing but a hope of finding a treasure. We go exploring, hike, and arrive where we started, with no physical treasure chest, and the end is altered, yet still fulfilled. Most of us have made great memories as we searched with family and friends. It has been a journey. In a way, F has delivered — most of us have found treasure.

So I am not bitter about not finding a treasure, because I’ve understood from the beginning that there was treasure enough in the journey. F said that fun is where you find it. The chase has always been fun for me. The people that don’t understand the journey— not so much.

No matter how much F’s actions with searchers disgust me, I can appreciate his desire for people to experience the journey of life they’re on to the fullest. I had a great time, a life-altering experience searching CO with my son. I had wonderful searches with James. Even my search with Jamie was awesome.

But there is way too much evidence that the journey itself is the treasure, not a bronze chest.

Here’s a famous TS Eliot quote to ponder:

The journey not the arrival matters.
T.S. Eliot

So, for me, it isn’t “sour grapes,” or bitterness, or anything like that. I have separated F from the poem. The man who wrote the poem is not perfect. Some of the things he’s done are questionable at best, disgusting at worst. Yet I believe in the “treasure,” but like the Eliot poem suggests, it’s altered in the end. It’s the chase that we sought all along—and when this is realized, you can feel satisfied and content, because you have found the treasure he intended. In that sense, F didn’t create a hoax. The treasure is “altered” in the end, after all your exploring. You carry home nothing but memories, and that is worth more than it’s weight in gold.

This is all my opinion, and where I’m at this moment in the chase. So, I’m not actively searching right now, but who knows? Maybe I’ll keep searching here and there. For now, though, I’m content with my memories and am looking forward to more hikes in the wildernesses of the world, not only in the Rockies, but everywhere.

Mindy's blogs:

http://www.fennhotspot.com
http://www.myeverwonderland.blogspot.com
01-14-2019, 05:52 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-14-2019, 05:55 AM by crazyfamily.)
“The one who finds the treasure will not feel lucky, but instead will say ‘what took me so long.’” - Forrest Fenn

Forrest is a true philosopher, and like most philosophers, his work is misunderstood by many.

Of course, this is how the redneck from Texas who lost his job, with 12 kids, a wife and a pickup truck could find the treasure.

razyfamily
01-14-2019, 05:53 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-14-2019, 06:12 AM by astree.)
(01-12-2019, 09:00 PM)Mindy Wrote: Interesting— the very first paragraph of ttotc mentions some words that F has touched upon many times since:

“All of the stories that MINGLE among these pages are as TRUE to HISTORY as one man can average out the TRUTH, considering the FACT that one of my natural instincts is to EMBELLISH just a little. Nevertheless, the story about my treasure chest is TRUE, and if it doesn’t stir your spirit then I HOPE at least it brings a smile in one of YOUR DREAMS.”

Is that the only way we can find it? In our dreams? Is its purpose just to stir our spirit? A little further down the page, he writes:

Nowhere on that first introductory page does it say anything about the possibility of actually finding it. It actually hints at the reader NOT finding it.

I read the dust jacket first paragraph of the preface differently. It is telling us that he is making parts of the stories up. And it says that although parts are made up, the part about hiding the treasure is true. (Edit in)The first part of the dust jacket says the treasure story is true, and (end edit) The final part says that you have to have confidence in a maverick (Forrest, is my interpretation, and/or the one solving the puzzle) to go out and get the treasure, which does indicate the possibility of finding it. (I dont have the book with me, so I’ll take a correction on the last sentence(s)).

The page the treasure poem is on also strongly indicates the possibility of finding the treasure. Because that chapter is the treasure story, and page 132 says the clues in the poem will lead you to the treasure. Oh, and the picture of the treasure chest is another thing suggesting that its real.

I cant see that there is any doubt that Forrest says, in his book and elsewhere, that there is a treasure to be found. I doesnt prove that its true, but i dont understand why you are pointing to the dust cover?
=====

DON’T RESEARCH...THINK!!!

https://www.allmovie.com/movie/v46056

01-14-2019, 06:00 AM,
(01-14-2019, 05:53 AM)astree Wrote:

I read the dust jacket differently. It is telling us that he is making parts of the stories up. And it says that although parts are made up, the part about hiding the treasure is true. The final part says that you have to have confidence in a maverick (Forrest, is my interpretation, and/or the one solving the puzzle) to go out and get the treasure, which does indicate the possibility of finding it. (I dont have the book with me, so I’ll take a correction on the last sentence(s)).

The page the treasure poem is on also strongly indicates the possibility of finding the treasure. Because that chapter is the treasure story, and page 132 says the clues in the poem will lead you to the treasure. Oh, and the picture of the treasure chest is another thing suggesting that its real.

I cant see that there is any doubt that Forrest says, in his book and elsewhere, that there is a treasure to be found. I doesnt prove that its true, but i dont understand why you are pointing to the dust cover?

I wasn’t pointing to the dust cover, but to the first page, first paragraph of the book.

I have edited my post a couple of posts above this one, to state more accurately how I feel.

Mindy's blogs:

http://www.fennhotspot.com
http://www.myeverwonderland.blogspot.com
01-14-2019, 06:05 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-14-2019, 06:14 AM by astree.)
(01-14-2019, 06:00 AM)Mindy Wrote: I wasn’t pointing to the dust cover, but to the first page, first paragraph of the book.

I have edited my post a couple of posts above this one, to state more accurately how I feel.

Thanks, Mindy. I will pull out the book and re-read the first page. I was comparing to what I had read on dust cover. I am going back to edit my original post. But the point remains that the very paragraph you are referring to comes right out and says the treasure is real.
=====

DON’T RESEARCH...THINK!!!

https://www.allmovie.com/movie/v46056