Not logged in. Login - Register

All new registrations need to be approved manually. After registration, mail me at tyblossom at aol dot com.
ChaseChat is available for Smartphones via Tapatalk, Download the app at http://tapatalk.com/m?id=4&referer=1048173. After installing CLICK HERE to add the forum to Tapatalk.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hard Lesson - Old Advise for 2019
01-27-2019, 12:27 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-27-2019, 12:30 PM by filmguy.)
Hard Lesson - Old Advise for 2019
(10-13-2013, 09:44 PM)mdavis19 Wrote: Well, I just got back home after searching a couple of areas while traveling between my homes in Florida and Arizona and back again. Once again I came up empty, but this time I really felt like I was on the right track, but just missed the target. I learned a couple of things on this trip.

#1. You simply can't trust Google Earth. One of my spots differed radically on the ground from the Google Earth imagery. The imagery date was less than one year old, but conditions on the ground were radically different from the images. I didn't see how it was possible for things to change so much in less than a year. Trails that were clearly visible in the imagery were totally over-grown and impassable, when they could even be located at all. The only conclusion I could come up with is that the imagery date is wrong, and is actually at least several years old, and maybe even older.

#2. The Forest Service has stopped maintaining a lot of lightly used roads. A lot of roads are cut by washouts or blocked by fallen trees, and nobody has been fixing them. One of my spots was at the end of an old mining road. The road had obviously been washed out by a flash flood several years ago and never repaired. There was no way to get past the washed out section except on foot, and even that was difficult as the washout was actually a fairly deep and wide canyon. I hiked to the end of the road. Everything fit my interpretation of the poem, but there was no blaze and no treasure. Another road was blocked by a huge pine tree that had fallen. The tree had to be at least six feet in diameter, and it looked like it had been there for a long while. Due to thick forest and heavy brush on both sides of the road, the only way forward was to bushwhack around it on foot.

Due to the bad condition of a lot of the roads, I now believe that Forrest is correct in his assertion that the treasure won't be found by accident. Especially if he had any advance knowledge of which roads would no longer be maintained. He could be reasonably certain that if he hid the treasure at the end of one of those roads there would be no easy way to get to it after a couple of years.

mdavis19

Good lesson to be had here for 2019:

1) Get off Google Earth!!!!
Searchers have one job and one job only. Decide what your WWH is going to be. That’s it! Nothing else! Once you’ve decided what that is, pick one (remember there are many), then pick your canyon. Once you have those two GET OFF THE INTERNET! Grab a map, plan your route, and drive down the canyon. If nothing stands out during that drive pick a different WWWH and canyon.

2) With the government shutdown (there will probably be more this year) parks and roads will be the worst we’ve seen, so choose your vehicle wisely this year.

And by all means if you disagree with #1 you’re more than welcome to email f about it. If my words aren’t enough to stear you in this right direction, he would say the same thing and hopefully that’s enough confirmation for you.
01-27-2019, 06:36 PM,
RE: Hard Lesson - Old Advise for 2019
(01-27-2019, 12:27 PM)filmguy Wrote: 1) Get off Google Earth!!!!
Searchers have one job and one job only. Decide what your WWH is going to be. That’s it! Nothing else! Once you’ve decided what that is, pick one (remember there are many), then pick your canyon. Once you have those two GET OFF THE INTERNET! Grab a map, plan your route, and drive down the canyon. If nothing stands out during that drive pick a different WWWH and canyon.

this is very good advice for anyone who has no interest in solving the clues or finding the treasure
01-28-2019, 10:06 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-28-2019, 10:06 AM by filmguy.)
(01-27-2019, 06:36 PM)Chris Yates Wrote:
(01-27-2019, 12:27 PM)filmguy Wrote: 1) Get off Google Earth!!!!

this is very good advice for anyone who has no interest in solving the clues or finding the treasure

I did ask if you disagree with my statement to ask Fenn directly on his thoughts. Assuming you did your homework, I guess this comment is paraphrasing what he wrote you??????? Strange, because it contradicts what I have from him.
01-28-2019, 03:52 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-28-2019, 03:57 PM by Chris Yates.)
are you going to be sharing with us the exact words he replied to you in an email?

and your question or comment that prompted his reply if that is needed for context?

i'm not going to ask f for his thoughts. i'm not dumb enough to think he is going to help anybody like that

if you have something to share that people can interpret fairly and in context then please do so

but only sharing your opinion and interpretation of something f said to you is not helpful to anyone

i doubt that an email comment from f would be helpful anyway, but if it is quoted accurately and in context, at least people can try to come to their own conclusions without being unfairly swayed by someone who obviously lives in a bubble of strong bias and wants to try to present something as supporting their own pre-conceived opinions

also, fyi. you seem to be claiming rather frequently that you are getting responses from f. if this is true, then i hate to tell you, but that isn't a good sign. f is going to be more comfortable responding to people he sees are not even in the ballpark, if you know what i mean.

edit: and in response to you suggesting I am paraphrasing something from f, no, i don't post in this bizarre fashion like you. If i had something from f, I would state plainly that f said something, then I would provide the exact quote

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Last step is hard 5GIRLS 12 980 03-28-2020, 09:36 PM
Last Post: Andrew Jef
  Pandora's box vs lead searcher, the hard line Top Secret 29 7,352 12-19-2019, 08:04 PM
Last Post: doodlebug
  hard math Chris Yates 3 591 11-05-2019, 09:24 PM
Last Post: Chris Yates
  Fennboree 2019 Photos tyounis 1 763 07-07-2019, 05:45 PM
Last Post: Beavertooth
  Fenboree 2019 at Hyde Park in Santa Fe NM July4-7 2019 Tim Nobody 2 879 06-29-2019, 02:29 PM
Last Post: Wesley_Coldwell
  Buffalo Run 2019 (Colorado Meetup) CLOUDFOOT 2 836 02-16-2019, 12:46 PM
Last Post: Beavertooth