Not logged in. Login - Register

All new registrations need to be approved manually. After registration, mail me at tyblossom at aol dot com.
ChaseChat is available for Smartphones via Tapatalk, Download the app at http://tapatalk.com/m?id=4&referer=1048173. After installing CLICK HERE to add the forum to Tapatalk.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do you really believe...
03-16-2019, 10:04 AM,
Do you really believe...
...that Forrest set out to finish Catcher In The Rye as his memoir?

razyfamily
03-16-2019, 10:18 AM,
RE: Do you really believe...
(03-16-2019, 10:04 AM)crazyfamily Wrote: ...that Forrest set out to finish Catcher In The Rye as his memoir?

razyfamily

Not exactly. He wrote the TTotC as a treasure hunt book (not as a sequel to CitR); he references Salinger's work as a device.

And while we're talking authors, he expresses enthusiasm for Salinger's novel while dismissing Hemingway's. But it seems to me that Mr F has more in common with Hemingway, and he adopted some of his writing style.
03-16-2019, 12:43 PM,
(03-16-2019, 10:18 AM)dude here Wrote:
(03-16-2019, 10:04 AM)crazyfamily Wrote: ...that Forrest set out to finish Catcher In The Rye as his memoir?

razyfamily

Not exactly. He wrote the TTotC as a treasure hunt book (not as a sequel to CitR); he references Salinger's work as a device.

And while we're talking authors, he expresses enthusiasm for Salinger's novel while dismissing Hemingway's. But it seems to me that Mr F has more in common with Hemingway, and he adopted some of his writing style.

I find it ironic that regardless which position I take on TTOTC, any response to my interpretation is exactly at odds with what Forrest has said in the book. Essentially, what I understand from others comments is that even though Forrest said that Skippy was a god to him that he didn't really mean that he was a god. Or that he was gonna finish Catcher In The Rye as his memoir, but he didn't really mean that he was going to rewrite Catcher In The Rye.

But the most irresponsible thing about these comments is that no one posts what they think he actually means. It's the easiest thing in the world to simply say, "oh no, that's not it" and then not offer what you think it is. But, you say, Forrest uses Catcher in the Rye as a device, sure, it's a device. Since you didn't say what you mean by a device, I'll interpret it my way.

The trouble with Forrest establishing in the beginning of TTOTC that he was going to finish "Catcher" as his memoir, the book that would be the vessel for his poem and story about his treasure, is that Catcher In The Rye is an allegorical novel written in first person narrative. Salinger uses symbolism and allusions to many things including religion. Reading critics' analysis of the book raises further problems for the treasure story. Apparently, readers of the "Catcher" book somehow get sucked into the authenticity of the storyline and begin thinking that the character, Holden, is actually Salinger. Even Forrest makes some comment like this. He says, "He even had a sister like mine, the guy in the story I mean, not JD."

So, lets believe for a moment that Forrest is serious in the notion that he was going to finish "Catcher" as his memoir. The nature of a first person narrative allows the author to use historical situations, but mold them as he sees fit to make the stories work. Is there evidence that Forrest has done this? Yes, of course there is. We know for a fact that Forrest had previously written a few of the stories that he included in TTOTC, and published them on various websites. Why did "Old Fred" become Frosty? Why did "Miss Mary" become Grandma? Perhaps the most concerning is that in the chapter that I am discussing here, Importatnt Literature, Forrest says that the reason he didn't read all those important books is that he didn't go to college, yet someone found pictures of Forrest playing basketball on some college team, or something.

Regardless of how you feel about me and my ideas, I am not making this stuff up. These are things that Forrest has written in his book in which he wants us to believe that he has hidden a treasure. It really is problematic for the thousands who believe that they are on the verge of discovering a two million dollar treasure, or whatever.
03-16-2019, 01:25 PM,
Do you really believe...
(03-16-2019, 01:12 PM)Seeker9 Wrote: No i dont believe that. The TTOTC is a completely diffrent kind of book than Catcher. Maybe FF is using Catcher to hint at other J.D works (important literature) like, Nine Stories, or something....On an unrelated note I recently heard a trove of Salinger stuff is about to be released publicly.

No, it’s not. TTOTC is also written in first person narrative.

razyfamily
03-16-2019, 03:20 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-16-2019, 03:26 PM by muset.)

razyfamily

Catcher In The Rye was written for a teenage audience. I highly doubt Forrest wanted to build on that. For that matter, I doubt anybody would want to try and base her/his own memoir on somebody else's fictional writing.
03-16-2019, 03:41 PM,
Do you really believe...
(03-16-2019, 03:20 PM)muset Wrote:

razyfamily

Catcher In The Rye was written for a teenage audience. I highly doubt Forrest wanted to build on that. For that matter, I doubt anybody would want to try and base her/his own memoir on somebody else's fictional writing.

Yep, there it is again. I didn’t make this up. Forrest said in TTOTC that he was going to finish Catcher as his memoir. If you say it isn’t so, then you must have some kind of idea what in the hell he’s talking about.

I mean, I’ve been trying and all I’m being told is that I’m wrong. I’ve given perfectly viable solutions to various stories in the book and time after time I’m told that instead they contain lines that should be drawn, or switching backs that should not be switched back, or whatever.

Please, enlighten us.

razyfamily
03-16-2019, 04:10 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-16-2019, 04:13 PM by muset.)
(03-16-2019, 03:41 PM)crazyfamily Wrote:

razyfamily

Yep, there it is again. I didn’t make this up. Forrest said in TTOTC that he was going to finish Catcher as his memoir. If you say it isn’t so, then you must have some kind of idea what in the hell he’s talking about.

I mean, I’ve been trying and all I’m being told is that I’m wrong. I’ve given perfectly viable solutions to various stories in the book and time after time I’m told that instead they contain lines that should be drawn, or switching backs that should not be switched back, or whatever.

Please, enlighten us.

razyfamily

Fair play.

"...So when Catcher in the Rye was done I threw it in the trash where it landed right on top of a Time Magazine: I just needed some time to think, and the more I thought about JD the more I liked him. The only thing was, he'd left out some really important stuff about when I was a kid and doing different things. Maybe he just had it in mind that I'd finish the book, or at least add on to it. So I reached in the trash for Catcher and put it on my desk so everyone could see that I'd read it. I think my friend JD knows. And in a serious, determined way, I started to think about what to say.

..however, I think he meant to finish the book in a metaphoric way.

Thanks for the interesting topic.
03-16-2019, 04:21 PM,
Do you really believe...
Yes, of course he did. So what is it that Forrest likes about Catcher that got him so interested in writing his memoir?

razyfamily
03-16-2019, 07:03 PM,
I don't know if this helps to refresh veteran searchers or mention to those who haven't heard that the "working title" for TTOTC was "The Rye Sequel". I made a poster describing such for Fennboree 2016 with ff's guidance. IMO, JD Salinger and Catcher in the Rye may be subtle hints for places in a person's search area, or not. Just saying for those who don't know one of the connections to Catcher and TTOTC.
03-16-2019, 09:47 PM,
(03-16-2019, 03:41 PM)crazyfamily Wrote:

razyfamily

Please, enlighten us.

razyfamily

Metaphorically or not, Fenn's TTOTC book was mainly written to promote his Treasure chest hunt. He stuffed it with hints. The Catcher in the Rye story is probably the biggest hint of all.

It's extremely confirmatory of the poem's final search area. CITR is an image of a catching hand in rye grass. I've walked all around it. It's BIG.

The inference that Fenn was going to "finish" JD's CITR book is irrelevant. He's trying to tell us that the location of CITR is at the finish of our search area.

The quest for the treasure chest "finishes" within that CITR hand, "or at least (at L east) add(s) on to it." You must add on to the east "L" to get to the finish and the TC.

In other words, to reach the "finish" you must be in the CITR hand and add onto the L-east line. That's where the end is.

Yes, you must draw the necessary lines (on GE or a good map). How else will you know "where the lines cross", where the mid-L is located, where the T-hat is, why the acute L's must switch back, and why the letter D is so very important.

The CITR has fingers and a thumb that periodically are "remembered."

CITR also looks like a bear and fits Fenn's bear story about walking a straight mile, turning left 90 degrees and walking along a curve for another mile, then turning 90 degrees left again and walking another mile back to where he started. Along that journey at the second turn, which fits the search area, is the bear (CITR) image. The color of the bear is immaterial. It's the fact that there's a bear along that journey that's important.

"The end is ever drawing nigh," is one of the best hints in the poem. It can't be solved "completely" without doing it. It's very difficult to solve even after doing it.

And yes, the last clue cannot be completely solved without being on the ground to locate certain landmarks that cannot be seen on GE. These landmarks must be used to locate the necessary lines and make the necessary measurements and "followed precisely" to complete the final clue.

All of this, of course, is just my opinion.
These are all just my ideas. I hope no one uses them.