Not logged in. Login - Register

All new registrations need to be approved manually. After registration, mail me at tyblossom at aol dot com.
ChaseChat is available for Smartphones via Tapatalk, Download the app at http://tapatalk.com/m?id=4&referer=1048173. After installing CLICK HERE to add the forum to Tapatalk.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Be careful out there.
04-29-2019, 08:22 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-29-2019, 08:25 AM by John Brown.)
Be careful out there.
The water is very high this year in the mountains north of Santa Fe. I just spent several days trapped behind a bunch of "low water crossings." I drove across them on my way into the area with trepidation. I was at the end of the road where there's a gate. Upstream of the gate there are more crossings. When I woke up the first morning the water had risen from knee deep to crotch deep. After two days I took off all my clothes and waded two of the crossings just to get an idea as to whether hiking out was an option. I had to wade them both directions to get back to my camp but I decided there was no way in hell I was going to wade ALL 5 of the crossings. It was too scary and I'd need to wear a pack to hike out. The water was cold, fast, and came up just short of my hips. I was knocked down in one of the crossings. I didn't go down to look at the 3rd crossing below camp. I was buck naked and a little nervous that somebody might appear, as unlikely as it was. It was frustrating as I was pretty sure my little Toyota could make it across the stream but the consequences of failure were so dire I couldn't bring myself to try. Failure would mean leaving my truck right in the middle until help could be found. With rain threatening that could mean the water would rise high enough to wash the truck downstream.

I've gotten a little blasé about camping. Once I realized I was stuck I counted up my calories. I had 7,000 of them which included about 2,000 in olive oil. I decided to eat all the high fat low carb perishable food first so that I'd have carbs to burn for the hike out. (Our bodies store about 80,000 calories in fat and about 2,000 in carbs. You can exert more power burning carbs but you can't do it long without replenishing them. You can easily burn through all your carbs in a day and "bonk".)

I was mapping out a cross country route to hike out of the area when a slightly inebriated guy in an F150 drove across. So his air intake was at most an inch or so higher than mine. I think my truck body was probably higher off the ground than his. We chatted a bit and he said he was just there to scope out the area and that we could drive out together. He was glad for the company. We drove the two vehicles out together without mishap. I took him to the bar and bought him a couple more cold beers which was somewhat irresponsible for me but I was damn glad he came along. I've crossed that stream many times before and I've never seen the flow the way it was this past week. It was a mixture of snow melt and heavy rain that did it. Rain at this time of year doesn't usually happen. It is almost monsoonal.

Be careful out there. Know your limits.
04-29-2019, 09:47 AM,
RE: Be careful out there.
(04-29-2019, 08:22 AM)John Brown Wrote: The water is very high this year in the mountains north of Santa Fe. I just spent several days trapped behind a bunch of "low water crossings." I drove across them on my way into the area with trepidation. I was at the end of the road where there's a gate. Upstream of the gate there are more crossings. When I woke up the first morning the water had risen from knee deep to crotch deep. After two days I took off all my clothes and waded two of the crossings just to get an idea as to whether hiking out was an option. I had to wade them both directions to get back to my camp but I decided there was no way in hell I was going to wade ALL 5 of the crossings. It was too scary and I'd need to wear a pack to hike out. The water was cold, fast, and came up just short of my hips. I was knocked down in one of the crossings. I didn't go down to look at the 3rd crossing below camp. I was buck naked and a little nervous that somebody might appear, as unlikely as it was. It was frustrating as I was pretty sure my little Toyota could make it across the stream but the consequences of failure were so dire I couldn't bring myself to try. Failure would mean leaving my truck right in the middle until help could be found. With rain threatening that could mean the water would rise high enough to wash the truck downstream.

I've gotten a little blasé about camping. Once I realized I was stuck I counted up my calories. I had 7,000 of them which included about 2,000 in olive oil. I decided to eat all the high fat low carb perishable food first so that I'd have carbs to burn for the hike out. (Our bodies store about 80,000 calories in fat and about 2,000 in carbs. You can exert more power burning carbs but you can't do it long without replenishing them. You can easily burn through all your carbs in a day and "bonk".)

I was mapping out a cross country route to hike out of the area when a slightly inebriated guy in an F150 drove across. So his air intake was at most an inch or so higher than mine. I think my truck body was probably higher off the ground than his. We chatted a bit and he said he was just there to scope out the area and that we could drive out together. He was glad for the company. We drove the two vehicles out together without mishap. I took him to the bar and bought him a couple more cold beers which was somewhat irresponsible for me but I was damn glad he came along. I've crossed that stream many times before and I've never seen the flow the way it was this past week. It was a mixture of snow melt and heavy rain that did it. Rain at this time of year doesn't usually happen. It is almost monsoonal.

Be careful out there. Know your limits.

Glad you made it out John. It doesn't take much to get into some bad situations as I have learned the hard way on more than 1 occasion. Expect the unexpected and don't forget common sense.
05-14-2019, 10:01 AM,
Looks like we almost had our Randy for 2019.
It's amazing after all that Fenn has said, after countless number of searchers lost, that we still have those that "waded two of the crossings just to get an idea as to whether hiking out was an option"

Especially since don't go where an 80 yr old would go turned into don't go where a father hold his 5 yr old daughter's hand would go.
05-14-2019, 01:49 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-14-2019, 01:49 PM by John Brown.)
(05-14-2019, 10:01 AM)filmguy Wrote: Looks like we almost had our Randy for 2019.
It's amazing after all that Fenn has said, after countless number of searchers lost, that we still have those that "waded two of the crossings just to get an idea as to whether hiking out was an option"

Especially since don't go where an 80 yr old would go turned into don't go where a father hold his 5 yr old daughter's hand would go.
You're back and on the attack I see. Wonderful. You're the guy who claimed he put Randy's backpack on high on the wrong side of the river and I turned you into the police. Is that right? But you're back with a new name?

I've crossed those crossings many times. People cross them in 2 wheel drive highway cars. The water rose substantially while I was out there. A foot. Maybe 18". I couldn't stay forever. I had to figure out the best way out. The best way out ended up being driving once a second vehicle arrived. Crotch deep water is not that likely to kill someone who is careful.
05-14-2019, 02:12 PM,
Careful - You're making a false accusation.
I'm not the guy who claimed to have anything to do with Randy's backpack.
I thought we talked about this John? Or can you not let it go?
05-14-2019, 02:21 PM,
(05-14-2019, 02:12 PM)filmguy Wrote: Careful - You're making a false accusation.
You are that same guy djj whatever that was talking to Linda (Randy's wife) on her Randy search page right?
05-14-2019, 02:53 PM,
(05-14-2019, 02:12 PM)filmguy Wrote: Careful - You're making a false accusation.

So you didn't do that? Someone said you were djj .... Is that not right? That guy did do that. It really screwed up the hunt for Randy too. In any event, whoever you are you're back and attacking everybody in sight. Wonderful.
05-16-2019, 09:12 PM,
(05-14-2019, 10:01 AM)filmguy Wrote: Looks like we almost had our Randy for 2019.

Not only are you back on the attack, you are also still pretty clueless about hiking. JB did exactly what he needed to do to try to recover from the turn of events. Staying wasnt an option and driving out wasnt an option. That left hiking out and he needed to find out if even THAT was feasible. The only way to do that was to try it. I assume his wife knew where he was, like always, so it wasnt like he was completely alone and helpless.

I should point out that a turn of events can happen to anyone, regardless of their skill or experience level. Weather, esp in the Rockies, can change in a heartbeat. Professionals in the Grand Canyon (rangers, park staff, river guides, medical staff) tell some heart-stopping stories about changes in weather. And sometimes we can get careless. The bottom line is he got out and didnt become another Randy.

Apparently you didnt learn from your time out. Too bad.
05-17-2019, 07:00 AM,
(05-16-2019, 09:12 PM)brubr Wrote:

Not only are you back on the attack, you are also still pretty clueless about hiking. JB did exactly what he needed to do to try to recover from the turn of events. Staying wasnt an option and driving out wasnt an option. That left hiking out and he needed to find out if even THAT was feasible. The only way to do that was to try it. I assume his wife knew where he was, like always, so it wasnt like he was completely alone and helpless.

I should point out that a turn of events can happen to anyone, regardless of their skill or experience level. Weather, esp in the Rockies, can change in a heartbeat. Professionals in the Grand Canyon (rangers, park staff, river guides, medical staff) tell some heart-stopping stories about changes in weather. And sometimes we can get careless. The bottom line is he got out and didnt become another Randy.

Thanks.

I keep a satellite e-mail gizmo with me.
05-17-2019, 07:06 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-17-2019, 07:08 AM by filmguy.)
(05-16-2019, 09:12 PM)brubr Wrote:

1) You're talking like you were out there with JB. Very smart to not going out alone. My apologizes, JB made it sound like he was my himself.

2) What's the point of your response here? It's clear you're just trying to throw hate. Do everyone a favor: block those you don't like and/or keep these comment to yourself. They serve no purpose.

But maybe that's all you know how to provide to the chase community. Too bad.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Be careful out there John Brown 1 785 08-05-2018, 06:50 PM
Last Post: Daniel A
  Please be careful out there everyoñe! Fainmatte 2 1,910 10-13-2015, 09:09 PM
Last Post: will197532