Not logged in. Login - Register

All new registrations need to be approved manually. After registration, mail me at tyblossom at aol dot com.
ChaseChat is available for Smartphones via Tapatalk, Download the app at http://tapatalk.com/m?id=4&referer=1048173. After installing CLICK HERE to add the forum to Tapatalk.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Be careful out there.
05-17-2019, 09:55 AM,
RE: Be careful out there.
(05-17-2019, 07:06 AM)filmguy Wrote: 1) You're talking like you were out there with JB. Very smart to not going out alone. My apologizes, JB made it sound like he was my himself.

2) What's the point of your response here? It's clear you're just trying to throw hate. Do everyone a favor: block those you don't like and/or keep these comment to yourself. They serve no purpose.

But maybe that's all you know how to provide to the chase community. Too bad.
Dude. You're the one throwing hate. Knock it off.

I was by myself. I've hiked alone my whole life and I'm an old man. I have absolutely no intention of stopping. I hike 30-60 miles almost every week and I am almost always alone. In a few minutes I'm gonna go run 6 miles. Alone.
05-18-2019, 05:40 PM,
You ever run in to any crazy ppl out on the trail John Brown? I recently saw a piece on the news about a murder on the Appalachian trail. Scary stuff. Have you ever hiked the Appalachian trail?
05-18-2019, 07:02 PM,
(05-18-2019, 05:40 PM)Seeker9 Wrote: You ever run in to any crazy ppl out on the trail John Brown? I recently saw a piece on the news about a murder on the Appalachian trail. Scary stuff. Have you ever hiked the Appalachian trail?

I have run into crazy people on the trail in the Pecos. I have never hiked the AT.
05-18-2019, 07:17 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-18-2019, 07:17 PM by Seeker9.)
After seeing the news piece, I did some research on the AT. A thru hike seems like it would be a very tough challenge. Even with the murder, most of the hikers seem to think deer ticks are more dangerous than human hikers.
05-18-2019, 08:07 PM,
(05-18-2019, 07:17 PM)Seeker9 Wrote: After seeing the news piece, I did some research on the AT. A thru hike seems like it would be a very tough challenge. Even with the murder, most of the hikers seem to think deer ticks are more dangerous than human hikers.

There are far more deer ticks than dangerous humans. Besides, bear spray can be a very effective weapon against humans; it can very possibly kill someone.
05-18-2019, 08:27 PM,
(05-18-2019, 05:40 PM)Seeker9 Wrote: You ever run in to any crazy ppl out on the trail John Brown? I recently saw a piece on the news about a murder on the Appalachian trail. Scary stuff. Have you ever hiked the Appalachian trail?

I'm usually the craziest one on the trail.

I've only done bits and pieces of the AT. I grew up a couple hours drive from it. I hope to hike the CDT trail before I'm too old. We're planning to hike up Gannett Peak this summer. That's a hike. The Appalachian is crowded. I don't know what it's like now. I used to go there in the 60's and you could camp in the shelters. That last time I remember camping there was around 1975 and already you couldn't camp in the shelters because it was too crowded. Everybody camped kind of spread out around the shelter and then went in to the shelter to cook. There were quite a few people cooking breakfast at the shelter in the morning. I imagine it's all very different now.
05-18-2019, 08:48 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-18-2019, 08:53 PM by Seeker9.)
(05-18-2019, 08:07 PM)brubr Wrote:
(05-18-2019, 07:17 PM)Seeker9 Wrote: After seeing the news piece, I did some research on the AT. A thru hike seems like it would be a very tough challenge. Even with the murder, most of the hikers seem to think deer ticks are more dangerous than human hikers.

There are far more deer ticks than dangerous humans. Besides, bear spray can be a very effective weapon against humans; it can very possibly kill someone.
Good reminder brubr. Bear spray needs to be carried at all times.

(05-18-2019, 08:27 PM)John Brown Wrote:

I'm usually the craziest one on the trail.

I've only done bits and pieces of the AT. I grew up a couple hours drive from it. I hope to hike the CDT trail before I'm too old. We're planning to hike up Gannett Peak this summer. That's a hike. The Appalachian is crowded. I don't know what it's like now. I used to go there in the 60's and you could camp in the shelters. That last time I remember camping there was around 1975 and already you couldn't camp in the shelters because it was too crowded. Everybody camped kind of spread out around the shelter and then went in to the shelter to cook. There were quite a few people cooking breakfast at the shelter in the morning. I imagine it's all very different now.
From some of the videos I've watched it does seem a bit crowded out there. I never realized the trail stretched from Georgia to Maine. Thats some serious foot mileage. Could you guys make that hike ? John Brown- I'm usually the craziest person on the trail Smile Good answer btw
05-18-2019, 09:03 PM,
When I worked with the DNR in WV during the summer break, we carried 25,000 baby brown trout in large water bags on our backs up into the Elkins/Harpers Ferry panhandle area small streams and brooks. The Appalachian National Scenic Trail was very near. After we stocked a stream almost to the headwaters (emptying into the Potomac usually), we would take the rest of the week off to hike the trail into VA. Long time ago and not so many people...
just saying ss
05-18-2019, 11:13 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-18-2019, 11:13 PM by brubr.)
(05-18-2019, 08:48 PM)Seeker9 Wrote: From some of the videos I've watched it does seem a bit crowded out there. I never realized the trail stretched from Georgia to Maine. Thats some serious foot mileage. Could you guys make that hike ? John Brown- I'm usually the craziest person on the trail Smile Good answer btw

I might be able to do it AFTER my knee replacement this August, but no promises. My biggest problem with a thru hike of that length is that it takes me away from rock climbing for too long and I lose my climbing fitness.

Too many fun things to do in the wilderness and too little time.
05-26-2019, 04:11 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-26-2019, 04:12 PM by Seeker9.)
You got that right, brubr. I've been researching more thru hikes, and I really want to attempt one sometime in the next few years. Less than five hundred ppl have completed the "triple crown of hiking". Thats the AT, CDT, and PCT. So much to do, so little time! And of course still have time to find the chest Smile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Be careful out there John Brown 1 695 08-05-2018, 06:50 PM
Last Post: Daniel A
  Please be careful out there everyoñe! Fainmatte 2 1,801 10-13-2015, 09:09 PM
Last Post: will197532