Not logged in. Login - Register

All new registrations need to be approved manually. After registration, mail me at tyblossom at aol dot com.
ChaseChat is available for Smartphones via Tapatalk, Download the app at http://tapatalk.com/m?id=4&referer=1048173. After installing CLICK HERE to add the forum to Tapatalk.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I guess the chase is done.
05-17-2019, 12:38 PM,
RE: I guess the chase is done.
(05-17-2019, 12:02 PM)kaotkbliss Wrote: I know I don't think I have it yet LOL
It could also be that the ones who did email him a correct warm waters solve never posted it anywhere except in an email to Fenn.
I think I'm on the right track though. I can't remember who it was that mentioned compound words (maybe BT?) but I think that's part of it.

Also, if Fenn wasn't just joshin with Dal about messing with his poem (playful banter because Dal came up with a rhyming word that Fenn didn't think of) Then part of the solution has to be a definition that is unique to halt (so it wouldn't be stop or a pause)
Definition is unique to "halt"??? Fenn set this up such that there is no unique definition. There are several definitions belonging to halt. Care to share which definition of halt you claim is unique?
05-17-2019, 12:48 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-17-2019, 12:53 PM by kaotkbliss.)
Unique was probably a strong word but I was revisiting this last night and listed a bunch of synonyms for halt: stop, standstill, cease, terminate, conclude
All pretty much meaning "the end of" or "a stopping of motion"

But there is this definition of halt:
to be in doubt; waver between alternatives; vacillate.
or this one:
to falter, as in speech, reasoning, etc.; be hesitant; stumble

*edit*
but those 2 definitions are pretty much the meaning of balk (which I believe with what Dal offered up as a suggestion)

So the other definition I know of is:
lame, walk with a limp.
05-17-2019, 01:00 PM,
(05-17-2019, 12:48 PM)kaotkbliss Wrote: Unique was probably a strong word but I was revisiting this last night and listed a bunch of synonyms for halt: stop, standstill, cease, terminate, conclude
All pretty much meaning "the end of" or "a stopping of motion"

But there is this definition of halt:
to be in doubt; waver between alternatives; vacillate.
or this one:
to falter, as in speech, reasoning, etc.; be hesitant; stumble

*edit*
but those 2 definitions are pretty much the meaning of balk (which I believe with what Dal offered up as a suggestion)

So the other definition I know of is:
lame, walk with a limp.
Ok so we agree it is not unique. There are other definitions, train stop and marching command are two others you omitted.

Balk, interesting you bring this one up. since halt and walk don't rhyme, balk would have been the better choice, so Fenn choice halt for a reason. I would be interested in your view on how balk is related to balk and why you think it is important enough to 'mess with the poem?"
05-17-2019, 01:12 PM,
I purposely left out the definitions meaning to bring to a stop or similar because those are the most common. If he meant stop, he could have chosen another pair of words that did rhyme.
And if balk was shot down by Fenn, than the meaning has to be something other than stop or hesitate.

To be able to understand the line as a whole, we need to know which meanings are correct for the words in the line.
05-17-2019, 01:22 PM,
(05-17-2019, 01:12 PM)kaotkbliss Wrote: I purposely left out the definitions meaning to bring to a stop or similar because those are the most common. If he meant stop, he could have chosen another pair of words that did rhyme.
And if balk was shot down by Fenn, than the meaning has to be something other than stop or hesitate.

To be able to understand the line as a whole, we need to know which meanings are correct for the words in the line.

To be clear, Fenn didn't shoot down balk, he just told Dal not to mess with the poem because he tried to substitute some words he thought had a better meaning.

I think limiting yourself to just the words in one line to solve the meaning is a big mistake, the poem has 166 words to describe a precise location. Most of those words have significance and as Fenn says ignoring any of them is dangerous. How these words associate to each other and adjacent lines may also carry significant weight.
05-17-2019, 01:51 PM,
My impression from that (the substitute word line) is that halt has a specific meaning, that is substituted, loses the meaning needed for the solve. However, this is only 1 approach of many I'm taking.

I haven't forgotten that part, although I thought when Fenn made the ignoring nouns comment, he was referring to finding hints in the book.
He had said that each clue is a location on a map, but has also said when answering the question if a friend had a map and was told to meet where warm waters halt, would he be able to find it? and was told basically that he was missing ingredients. so I believe wwwh and canyon down at least are part of the same location, if not too far to walk as well.
I'm also considering the entire 2nd stanza as describing parts of a single location.
05-17-2019, 02:49 PM,
@kaotkbliss
IMO: The first two lines of stanza are the beginning; the last two lines are the ending.
Forrest said both not to ignore any nouns and he said several times to marry the hint to the map.
Now for the "halt" word, it is specifically on a map and the largest and first in the world.
just saying ss
05-17-2019, 06:56 PM,
(05-17-2019, 02:49 PM)easternOHsteve Wrote: Now for the "halt" word, it is specifically on a map and the largest and first in the world.

Are you talking about Quake Lake? If, not how do you know it is the "first in the world"? Unless it is an Indian Reservation or a National Park or similar.
05-17-2019, 11:18 PM,
@Beavertooth
Aren't parks actually man-made on a "map?". What about cities? What about a "specific" city?
just saying ss
05-18-2019, 12:06 AM,
(05-17-2019, 11:18 PM)easternOHsteve Wrote: @Beavertooth
Aren't parks actually man-made on a "map?". What about cities? What about a "specific" city?

How does that relate to largest and first in the world? Neither of which would be in the four states. Unless I am missing your point somehow.

Parks are typically "created" by governmental action. Yes, the land was already there. But one could be "first" and/or "largest". I was just guessing anyway.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Prayed for D's (a longshot guess, maybe?) wildfuntear 3 973 08-02-2019, 01:01 AM
Last Post: easternOHsteve
  Guess who finally Emailed me today....none other than...Fenn Gordon Lightfoot 7 2,707 03-04-2018, 08:46 AM
Last Post: Beavertooth
  Guess the next weekly words RIGHT HERE!! The Count 179 81,513 01-06-2017, 04:40 PM
Last Post: HIPS
  What's your Chest Altitude Guess? glock20 28 17,458 04-09-2016, 12:38 PM
Last Post: DeeepThnkr
  Guess the next clue, win a silver dime! tomwhat 10 6,900 10-29-2015, 11:37 PM
Last Post: marie.akridge