Not logged in. Login - Register

All new registrations need to be approved manually. After registration, mail me at tyblossom at aol dot com.
ChaseChat is available for Smartphones via Tapatalk, Download the app at http://tapatalk.com/m?id=4&referer=1048173. After installing CLICK HERE to add the forum to Tapatalk.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Forrest Fenn: Our Modern Forrest Gump
05-21-2019, 08:02 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-21-2019, 08:14 AM by filmguy.)
We've all seen Forrest Gump. A story about a simpleton Medal of Honor winner telling his stories to an old woman at a bus stop. But what if all of the stories he was telling her, except for winning the Medal of Honor and meeting the President, was totally made-up? The ending to the movie is too good to be true, what if that was all made-up in his head as well? Just another lie to tell the next person he meets.

It's human nature to want people to like you. Probably even more so for a simple mind like Forrest. It's also human nature to want to tell people stories about your life and to want to tell one great story after another. And it's also human nature to have your lies spiral out of control.

What if Forrest Gump had this great story about saving his brother's lives and gradually try to top that story with another one (yet not true) and then another (also not true)? Until one day he's sitting at a bus stop and gets to tell all of his stories (most of them very exaggerated lies by now) to an old woman. Someone traveling the states looking for "Jenny," daydreaming about Jenny, yet never finds her. The story at the end is all in his head as a coping mechanism for his greatest failure.

What if this is how Forrest Fenn wrote his book?

First couple of chapters coming easy with true stories about this days as a pilot and with his family. But, temptation sets in and he wants to top one story with another and another. With the knowledge in the back of his mind knowing that hardly anyone is alive to dispute these stories. But are these stories enough to get people interested? Obviously not. Hence the chase.
05-21-2019, 08:38 AM,
RE: Forrest Fenn: Our Modern Forrest Gump
What if you are right? What difference does it make if he hid a treasure chest in order to get people interested? I think that (creating a legacy) was kind of the point anyways, or at least one of the reasons.
05-21-2019, 11:14 AM,
What difference?
If I'm right (big IF) then it puts the whole illegitimacy of the chase into question.
Especially due to the small amounts of evidence to support it.

If I'm wrong and Fenn is just a pathological liar that does have a chest full of treasure out there, then I suppose it makes no difference at all.

Brings up another point. I believe most searchers care more about the treasure than Fenn. Some would call it even since Fenn is alive, but afterwards who really cares about the man that hides the treasure? Historians, that's all. Most finders are so excited they found gold that answering the question of how it got there is irrelevant. What difference would it make?
05-21-2019, 11:29 AM,
(05-21-2019, 11:14 AM)filmguy Wrote: What difference?
If I'm right (big IF) then it puts the whole illegitimacy of the chase into question.
Especially due to the small amounts of evidence to support it.

If I'm wrong and Fenn is just a pathological liar that does have a chest full of treasure out there, then I suppose it makes no difference at all.

Brings up another point. I believe most searchers care more about the treasure than Fenn. Some would call it even since Fenn is alive, but afterwards who really cares about the man that hides the treasure? Historians, that's all. Most finders are so excited they found gold that answering the question of how it got there is irrelevant. What difference would it make?

Huh? What did he lie about?
05-21-2019, 01:31 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-21-2019, 01:33 PM by filmguy.)
"The man himself had nothing to do with my decision."

In a way this is true. The man could have been telling 100% truthful statements, but (whether it be your preconceived stereotypes, predjustice, whatever.) you could have felt he was a 100% liar. In this case you would have missed out on early retirement, so I can see what you mean by you make your own decisions. Our decisions are slaves to our own opinions and nobody else.

If Fenn was a rapist (I guess I should add proven in the higher court system disclaimer here) there will still be those that go looking for the treasure.
If Fenn was a serial killer of women and children there will still be those looking.

If this treasure hunt does last 100 years nobody will care about the man, just his treasure.
The biography, if still readable, will be cast aside among the gold and jewels.
In the end Fenn's legacy will be nothing more than just an extended 15-minutes of fame. An unfortunate decision where a million dollars could have been used for a better, greater good rather than on particular finder(s). And that is if the finder(s) has good fortune with it. Many do not after acquiring wealth quickly.
05-21-2019, 05:12 PM,
I’ve thought this too. He said the one who finds the treasure will move with confidence. Nothing will be accidental.

razyfamily
05-22-2019, 04:13 PM,
Albert Finney in Big Fish if you have never seen this movie find it and watch it for the biggest tall tale teller ever, in my top 10 of all movies.
05-22-2019, 06:32 PM,
(05-22-2019, 04:13 PM)Tim Nobody Wrote: Albert Finney in Big Fish if you have never seen this movie find it and watch it for the biggest tall tale teller ever, in my top 10 of all movies.

Great movie!
05-22-2019, 08:35 PM,
(05-21-2019, 03:19 PM)NTMI Wrote:
(05-21-2019, 01:31 PM)filmguy Wrote: If Fenn was a rapist (I guess I should add proven in the higher court system disclaimer here) there will still be those that go looking for the treasure.
If Fenn was a serial killer of women and children there will still be those looking.
Those scenarios would probably factor into most people's decision on whether or not they'd go looking. And you're right, sadly.

But let's reverse that. If there was a chance that a convicted rapist or serial killer had a chance to figure the poem out and retrieve the treasure, does anyone think that Forrest Fenn would be OK with that? If that guy who thought that Fenn's granddaughter was the treasure (I'm not a judgmental person, but that guy wouldn't stand a chance in the same room) got realistic, do you think F would be alright w/him figuring it out and getting the chest?

He's still pulling the strings, and that includes who will be "the one".

Disclaimer: IMO

only some strings, not all

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Confirming The Correct Forrest Fenn Where Warm Waters Halt (W.W.W.H.) Essay - $25 minotaur_moreno 28 2,222 Yesterday, 08:34 PM
Last Post: minotaur_moreno
  Forrest fenn searcher coin #72 turcitt 3 532 05-28-2019, 08:58 AM
Last Post: Seeker9
  Confirming The Correct Forrest Fenn Where Warm Waters Halt Essay minotaur_moreno 12 1,443 05-27-2019, 11:44 PM
Last Post: realistrealist
  A Forrest Fenn Fart For Sale... J Smith 2 528 05-10-2019, 09:10 PM
Last Post: Top Secret
  A Forrest Fenn signed “X” on a map for sale fundamental design 47 3,232 05-08-2019, 08:32 PM
Last Post: Beavertooth
  Forrest Fenn's Rubies, Diamonds Sapphires...Where?? TwoCrows 16 8,905 05-01-2019, 10:27 AM
Last Post: J Smith