Not logged in. Login - Register

All new registrations need to be approved manually. After registration, mail me at tyblossom at aol dot com.
ChaseChat is available for Smartphones via Tapatalk, Download the app at http://tapatalk.com/m?id=4&referer=1048173. After installing CLICK HERE to add the forum to Tapatalk.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A potentially important (hint) word
05-23-2019, 03:57 PM,
I have seen the word "bridge" in the context of this treasure hunt, and
believe that there is a hint involved. Not a huge hint, but perhaps it
deserves more attention than it's been given.
05-23-2019, 08:16 PM,
RE: A potentially important (hint) word
(05-23-2019, 03:57 PM)wildfuntear Wrote: I have seen the word "bridge" in the context of this treasure hunt, and

First thoughts--

If there were a bridge, it would not be too far to walk..
05-28-2019, 12:24 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-28-2019, 12:45 AM by realistrealist.)
(05-23-2019, 03:57 PM)wildfuntear Wrote: I have seen the word "bridge" in the context of this treasure hunt, and

Quick Summation-

Jump-Starting The Learning Curve (literally creating a bridge... between something flat and something charged/bumpy/etc.)

Miss Ford is about 40 - 4 decades = clue 4 (represents home of Brown)

This chapter is about the friction between Forrest/Marvin Fenn and Miss Ford.

Forrest (halt/bridge): sat at the back of the room, played cat-and-mouse match with Miss Ford, "quickly crossed his legs", remembered hearing "Don't make the alligator mad until you've crossed the river (forded the river), “thoughts I could hardly keep them in my mouth”, “I quickly held up my hand and interrupted. ‘Father,’ I said, ‘her story isn’t exactly right” (grammar is broken apart in peculiar way), “Well I didn’t have a clue about what we’d learned (need to learn from his story), but was praying to thanks to Thor because he was holding my hand and smiling. My father I mean (shows he is alluding to multiple things with his story – does this throughout book)

Miss Ford (hoB): "said with a sideways looking face", "(compared) look on her face to a can opener ad I'd seen in Good Housekeeping Magazine", “trying to teach me Spanish by talking Spanish all the time. I never figured out that technique” (the "As I" "So, So" from poem), “one cloudy day Miss Ford grabbed my arm… seen her made before, but not like this… wouldn’t look at me, but could see her face… I was about to enter personality rehab. Her mouth was moving in fast cadence with her choppy steps and it was obvious that rage had found a home (red = color of rage - links subtly to Redford from earlier chapter)”

Mr. Fenn (warm waters): “He looked a little corroded”, “my father gave me a look and I mean really a look. I was sure a window pane somewhere in Mississippi was about to break. Just as he started to lean into some pretty strong adjectives”, “He slowed to a stop as my words began to soak in and I could see his mood changing right in front of me”, “He remembered when she’d called in sick one morning and he had to leave the breakfast table to find a substitute, and the telephone was clear down at the end of the house. He really hated that, especially since the biscuits and gravy were hot on his plate”, “his demeanor was one of deep compassion”, “he rested on that for a moment (tarry scant?), then he sat down, twisted his chair (learning curve) and took my hand”

The adjectives and verbs from this section of the chapter are describing rivers/waterways (face/head, mouth, cadence, choppy steps, corroded, soak in, etc.). Made a post about a year ago? Dunno when I was last on here, but the thought after reading this for hints the first time was that this was pointing to...

Firehole River - Little Firehole River - Iron (Spring) Creek confluence. Iron = Red(Ford, Miss), Marvin = Firehole, and Forrest = Little Firehole. Waters = Little + Firehole Proper

Corroded = Rusty Geiser (Miss Ford - Iron + Marvin Fenn - Warm water = Rusty)

biscuit + hot gravy = Biscuit + Basin

Regardless of the bottom guess, it's clear from the chapter that bridge (crossed legs, alligator crossing river, Ford) is a hint and he notes "flat" learning curve twice in the book.
05-29-2019, 09:52 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-29-2019, 10:40 PM by realistrealist.)
(05-29-2019, 09:02 PM)Andrew Jef Wrote: I think I know why FF quickly crossed his legs. But I don't think there are many (if any) significant hints or clues in that chapter of TTOTC that would help much with a solve.

I used to wonder quite a bit about D's (FF said that he prayed for them). And it may not necessarily be a random coincidence that he also wrote about Dizzy Dean. But in any case, I don't think there is a big hint there.

Even if FF thinks that "bridge" is a hint, I don't see how it would help. Maybe there is a bridge near the
search location? (I hope I didn't just start a stampede to the treasure.)

The chapter hints are all subtle, but the titles are there for guidance. Jump-Starting the Learning Curve is tricky - it feels like there are references to more than 1 clue in it and it SEEMS like it's tying them together.

1st Grade = 1st Clue

No Place for Biddies = 3rd Clue

Jump-Starting the Learning Curve = Clues 1-4

My Brother Being Skippy = 5th Clue (iirc)

Hush Puppies and Jeans Again - 2nd Clue

Etc.

The obvious piece hidden within the Jump-Starting the Learning Curve chapter is bridge and fording a river - he's hitting you over the head with Miss Ford. With the addition of Thor and change in polarity (IIRC) with Jump-Starting and alligators I'm led to think electricity (hell maybe D batteries) - as in hydroelectric power plant. Yea, Fenn said WWWH isn't related to a Dam, doesn't mean canyon down isn't (or even that it may be related to a hydroelectric plant that doesn't use a dam... which exist)? OK, so if I'm Jump-Starting the Learning Curve what is the Learning Curve? What is Fenn learning? If he's jump-starting the learning curve, where is he beginning from?

If you read my other posts WWWH is linked to Fenn's dad's parking spot which is from which he'd go IN to the school. You start at park (halt) as well. The school is representative of some location/area (park?) where you learn (become wise) which is made up of the other clues.

And sure, he crossed his legs so he wouldn't p*** himself as well sure - there is evidence there's a restroom residing amongst the clues hinted at in that chapter, butttt the big thing from the chapter is that Fenn keeps crossing Miss Ford with his quips.
05-29-2019, 11:44 PM,
(05-29-2019, 09:52 PM)realistrealist Wrote: The chapter hints are all subtle, but the titles are there for guidance. Jump-Starting the Learning Curve is tricky - it feels like there are references to more than 1 clue in it and it SEEMS like it's tying them together.

The obvious piece hidden within the Jump-Starting the Learning Curve chapter is bridge and fording a river - he's hitting you over the head with Miss Ford. With the addition of Thor and change in polarity (IIRC) with Jump-Starting and alligators I'm led to think electricity (hell maybe D batteries) - as in hydroelectric power plant. Yea, Fenn said WWWH isn't related to a Dam, doesn't mean canyon down isn't (or even that it may be related to a hydroelectric plant that doesn't use a dam... which exist)? OK, so if I'm Jump-Starting the Learning Curve what is the Learning Curve? What is Fenn learning? If he's jump-starting the learning curve, where is he beginning from?

I always thought the title was Jump Starting the Learning Curve because Miss Ford was an old bat (battery).

In my original solve (using beavers) the scene where she accuses Forrest of sleeping because his eyes were closed and he insists they were open supported my beaver theory -- beavers have two eyelids for each eye, including one for swimming under water that retains eyesight. Ultimately that led to a Beaver Deceiver that was installed by high school kids on a beaver dam next to the Horseshoe Mine parking lot in Cimarron Canyon State Park. Unfortunately, the internet did not record that the Beaver Deceiver was destroyed in 2008 by a fire (thank you to the State Ranger who was able to tell me this info). Imagine my chagrin. Not a Forrest you-found-the-chest grin -- more like a grimace.
Smile
05-30-2019, 12:47 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-30-2019, 12:55 AM by realistrealist.)
(05-29-2019, 11:44 PM)Beavertooth Wrote: I always thought the title was Jump Starting the Learning Curve because Miss Ford was an old bat (battery).

In my original solve (using beavers) the scene where she accuses Forrest of sleeping because his eyes were closed and he insists they were open supported my beaver theory -- beavers have two eyelids for each eye, including one for swimming under water that retains eyesight. Ultimately that led to a Beaver Deceiver that was installed by high school kids on a beaver dam next to the Horseshoe Mine parking lot in Cimarron Canyon State Park. Unfortunately, the internet did not record that the Beaver Deceiver was destroyed in 2008 by a fire (thank you to the State Ranger who was able to tell me this info). Imagine my chagrin. Not a Forrest you-found-the-chest grin -- more like a grimace.
Smile

Haha certainly an interesting factoid! I only heard of that for reptiles Smile

I'd seen people mention Redford before getting the book and took note of the few sentences he was mentioned in to tie it to something.

"Finally, I just tossed those beauties in the trash basket under my desk and looked away. If Robert Redford had ever written anything he probably could have done it better than the guy who wrote that Gatsby book."

I figured the gist of these sentences were that Robert Redford was a natural (that he wrote any books or not didn't matter). Robert Redford starred in The Natural. Naturally when you see Fenn call Miss Ford an old bat... you think of Robert Redford's bat - Wonderboy - made from a tree split in half by lightning! Smile And look who shows up in the chapter right after the old bat talk! Thor!

Surface level he's giving color to Miss Ford on a few occasions - connection to Redford, the color of rage = red, how he keeps embarrassing (red faced) her, Snickers (made by Mars - the Red Planet), etc. He seemingly also says that she represents home twice - rage found a new home and comparing her face to can opener ad in Good Housekeeping Magazine. This information combined can make you think Colorado River (along with her trying to teach him Spanish though I think that's more related to poem). I don't get the eyes closed piece lol.

Do I believe Miss Ford is referring to the Colorado River - nope - but wouldn't be surprised. I think she's clearly a red river/creek though - whether that be Iron Spring Creek, Ruby Creek, Colorado River, Red River, etc. I'm assuming she's a creek due to her interaction with Marvin Fenn and I do like Iron Spring Creek because of Marvin Fenn looking corroded (rusted).
05-30-2019, 01:36 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-30-2019, 01:39 AM by Beavertooth.)
Redford wrote a book: The Outlaw Trail: A Journey Through Time. This ties back to Time in TTOTC. Also, the outlaws used to hang out at Brown's Hole. Lots of connections. Lots of possible hints.

I have a different view of the Good Housekeeping ad, which I am "keeping" to myself. Smile
05-30-2019, 01:11 PM,
(05-30-2019, 01:36 AM)Beavertooth Wrote: Redford wrote a book: The Outlaw Trail: A Journey Through Time. This ties back to Time in TTOTC. Also, the outlaws used to hang out at Brown's Hole. Lots of connections. Lots of possible hints.

I have a different view of the Good Housekeeping ad, which I am "keeping" to myself. Smile

Si, along with the For Whom the Bell Tolls and other mistakes. I just think the gist of the two sentences from the book is pointing to his Redford's natural ability to do anything and bridging a connection to Miss Ford Smile

Haha, well I imagine another view lines up with my original guess. If she represents the home of Brown and a bird (can opener - nose/mouth overhanging mouth with no teeth), perhaps Birdie Brown is a hint.
06-01-2019, 10:06 AM,
(05-30-2019, 01:11 PM)realistrealist Wrote: Haha, well I imagine another view lines up with my original guess. If she represents the home of Brown and a bird (can opener - nose/mouth overhanging mouth with no teeth), perhaps Birdie Brown is a hint.

Except the ad was for an electric can opener. So there's one for the Ben Franklin crowd.

Now if there is a reference to a church key ("my church is in the mountains", "a word that is key"), maybe the bird reference makes sense.
06-01-2019, 10:21 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-01-2019, 10:23 AM by crazyfamily.)
Yep, church key.

razyfamily

I been trying ta told y’all.

razyfamily