Not logged in. Login - Register

All new registrations need to be approved manually. After registration, mail me at tyblossom at aol dot com.
ChaseChat is available for Smartphones via Tapatalk, Download the app at http://tapatalk.com/m?id=4&referer=1048173. After installing CLICK HERE to add the forum to Tapatalk.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your direction of travel Start to Finish
06-08-2019, 12:10 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-08-2019, 03:04 PM by realistrealist.)
RE: Your direction of travel Start to Finish
(06-08-2019, 08:54 AM)Beavertooth Wrote:
(06-07-2019, 05:32 PM)realistrealist Wrote:
(06-07-2019, 05:15 PM)kaotkbliss Wrote: Yeah, I think he said he put one foot down, then stepped on it

Yep, and how deep is a hole?

I'm stuck on two positions right now - 1 makes sense from WWWH and does involve turning back the other direction after the 3rd or 4th clue. Would need to figure out 5+ on ground it appears.

The other, I have no idea where the start point would be. After I read the book, I just felt like it was the general area from the book hints (perceived). Can't make sense of the 3rd clue in that instance to get me to the 4th. In that case, Borderline Biddies might be referring to Continental Trail vs. crossing the street. Jump-Starting the Learning Curve screams Iron Spring Creek to me - and I know the creek/area has been searched a bunch - probably by tens if not hundreds of people - but the key point is that it would be the hoB below where you put in vs. where you search.

There are at least 20 geyser/hot springs in Yellowstone that have brown or mud or something that would be similar to brown in their name. Another 5 or so with "Tea" in their name. So I am not sure why Iron Spring Creek is top of your list in that regard. Admittedly, the creek could have fish in it, where the others would not. Regardless, one of the others may work better for you. Good luck!

Jump-Starting The Learning Curve

Miss Ford is about 40 - 4 decades = clue 4 (represents hoB)

This chapter is about the friction between Forrest/Marvin Fenn and Miss Ford.

Forrest (halt): sat at the back of the room, played cat-and-mouse match with Miss Ford, "quickly crossed his legs", remembered hearing "Don't make the alligator mad until you've crossed the river (forded the river), “thoughts I could hardly keep them in my mouth”, “I quickly held up my hand and interrupted. ‘Father,’ I said, ‘her story isn’t exactly right” (grammar is broken apart in peculiar way), “Well I didn’t have a clue about what we’d learned, but was praying to thanks to Thor because he was holding my hand and smiling. My father I mean (shows he is alluding to multiple things with his story – does this throughout book)

Miss Ford (hoB): "said with a sideways looking face", "(compared) look on her face to a can opener ad I'd seen in Good Housekeeping Magazine", “trying to teach me Spanish by talking Spanish all the time. I never figured out that technique”, “one cloudy day Miss Ford grabbed my arm… seen her made before, but not like this… wouldn’t look at me, but could see her face… I was about to enter personality rehab. Her mouth was moving in fast cadence with her choppy steps and it was obvious that rage had found a home (red = color of rage - links subtly to Redford from earlier chapter)”

Mr. Fenn (warm waters): “He looked a little corroded”, “my father gave me a look and I mean really a look. I was sure a window pane somewhere in Mississippi was about to break. Just as he started to lean into some pretty strong adjectives”, “He slowed to a stop as my words began to soak in and I could see his mood changing right in front of me”, “He remembered when she’d called in sick one morning and he had to leave the breakfast table to find a substitute, and the telephone was clear down at the end of the house. He really hated that, especially since the biscuits and gravy were hot on his plate”, “his demeanor was one of deep compassion”, “he rested on that for a moment (tarry scant?), then he sat down, twisted his chair (learning curve) and took my hand”

Specific mentions in the chapter:

- Fortunately the bell rang about that time and I was out of there like a cannon ball on fire = sprung, iron, fire

- It was on the second floor, and a beautiful old iron, slide-down fire escape was just outside that window. When the sun was out, the smell of freedom was more than I could resist. So on occasion, when Miss Ford was writing Spanish words on the blackboard I'd quickly slip through the window and down and away. = iron, fire, spring, below

- Raining at Borders, cloudy day with Miss Ford = delineating Continental Divide as the borders he's referring to, spring showers

- Jump-Starting, polarity, pray for D's, Thor, alligator = ferrous

- Forrest halts his father = Little Firehole meets Firehole and is between Firehole and Iron Spring Creek, it slowly soaks into larger river

- Hot biscuits and gravy - Biscuit Basin

- corroded - Rusty Geiser/or simply Iron + warm water - Miss Ford's interaction with Mr. Fenn

Looks like there are multiple blazes (brilliant iron deposits) on the top of the hills on way to Summit Lake

Brown Sprouter is upstream in Black Sands Basin

Earlier chapter - Redford book about outlaw trail + Miss Ford
Later chapter - smoking gun with dog bleeding into water - blood = red due to iron, Gilbert Gaul studied under Brown; fairy falls is farther down stream
06-08-2019, 02:54 PM,
@fundamental design
Sort of, but the blaze and all the route must be in your mind. Then you will go with confident right to the spot. You need to know before you get to the last step on the trip what the blaze is. What I see with the "If you've been wise and found the blaze..." indicates that you already know where the blaze is located before you begin the BOTG trip.

IMO the trip is contiguous but not straight. Even the blaze comment indicates this contiguousness because you have finished your trip in your mind 1-9... Recon may be necessary (in my case definitely needed) to make sure you find the hints.
just saying ss
06-08-2019, 03:53 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-08-2019, 03:53 PM by Beavertooth.)
(06-08-2019, 12:10 PM)realistrealist Wrote:
(06-08-2019, 08:54 AM)Beavertooth Wrote:
(06-07-2019, 05:32 PM)realistrealist Wrote:
(06-07-2019, 05:15 PM)kaotkbliss Wrote: Yeah, I think he said he put one foot down, then stepped on it

Yep, and how deep is a hole?

I'm stuck on two positions right now - 1 makes sense from WWWH and does involve turning back the other direction after the 3rd or 4th clue. Would need to figure out 5+ on ground it appears.

The other, I have no idea where the start point would be. After I read the book, I just felt like it was the general area from the book hints (perceived). Can't make sense of the 3rd clue in that instance to get me to the 4th. In that case, Borderline Biddies might be referring to Continental Trail vs. crossing the street. Jump-Starting the Learning Curve screams Iron Spring Creek to me - and I know the creek/area has been searched a bunch - probably by tens if not hundreds of people - but the key point is that it would be the hoB below where you put in vs. where you search.

There are at least 20 geyser/hot springs in Yellowstone that have brown or mud or something that would be similar to brown in their name. Another 5 or so with "Tea" in their name. So I am not sure why Iron Spring Creek is top of your list in that regard. Admittedly, the creek could have fish in it, where the others would not. Regardless, one of the others may work better for you. Good luck!

Jump-Starting The Learning Curve

Miss Ford is about 40 - 4 decades = clue 4 (represents hoB)

This chapter is about the friction between Forrest/Marvin Fenn and Miss Ford.

Forrest (halt): sat at the back of the room, played cat-and-mouse match with Miss Ford, "quickly crossed his legs", remembered hearing "Don't make the alligator mad until you've crossed the river (forded the river), “thoughts I could hardly keep them in my mouth”, “I quickly held up my hand and interrupted. ‘Father,’ I said, ‘her story isn’t exactly right” (grammar is broken apart in peculiar way), “Well I didn’t have a clue about what we’d learned, but was praying to thanks to Thor because he was holding my hand and smiling. My father I mean (shows he is alluding to multiple things with his story – does this throughout book)

Miss Ford (hoB): "said with a sideways looking face", "(compared) look on her face to a can opener ad I'd seen in Good Housekeeping Magazine", “trying to teach me Spanish by talking Spanish all the time. I never figured out that technique”, “one cloudy day Miss Ford grabbed my arm… seen her made before, but not like this… wouldn’t look at me, but could see her face… I was about to enter personality rehab. Her mouth was moving in fast cadence with her choppy steps and it was obvious that rage had found a home (red = color of rage - links subtly to Redford from earlier chapter)”

Mr. Fenn (warm waters): “He looked a little corroded”, “my father gave me a look and I mean really a look. I was sure a window pane somewhere in Mississippi was about to break. Just as he started to lean into some pretty strong adjectives”, “He slowed to a stop as my words began to soak in and I could see his mood changing right in front of me”, “He remembered when she’d called in sick one morning and he had to leave the breakfast table to find a substitute, and the telephone was clear down at the end of the house. He really hated that, especially since the biscuits and gravy were hot on his plate”, “his demeanor was one of deep compassion”, “he rested on that for a moment (tarry scant?), then he sat down, twisted his chair (learning curve) and took my hand”

Specific mentions in the chapter:

- Fortunately the bell rang about that time and I was out of there like a cannon ball on fire = sprung, iron, fire

- It was on the second floor, and a beautiful old iron, slide-down fire escape was just outside that window. When the sun was out, the smell of freedom was more than I could resist. So on occasion, when Miss Ford was writing Spanish words on the blackboard I'd quickly slip through the window and down and away. = iron, fire, spring, below

- Raining at Borders, cloudy day with Miss Ford = delineating Continental Divide as the borders he's referring to, spring showers

- Jump-Starting, polarity, pray for D's, Thor, alligator = ferrous

- Forrest halts his father = Little Firehole meets Firehole and is between Firehole and Iron Spring Creek, it slowly soaks into larger river

- Hot biscuits and gravy - Biscuit Basin

- corroded - Rusty Geiser/or simply Iron + warm water - Miss Ford's interaction with Mr. Fenn

Looks like there are multiple blazes (brilliant iron deposits) on the top of the hills on way to Summit Lake

Brown Sprouter is upstream in Black Sands Basin

Earlier chapter - Redford book about outlaw trail + Miss Ford
Later chapter - smoking gun with dog bleeding into water - blood = red due to iron, Gilbert Gaul studied under Brown; fairy falls is farther down stream

Lots of good ideas, realistrealist. I just don't understand why that creek would be the "home of Brown" (i.e.,Miss Ford). You seem to see iron deposits and iron cannonballs as key elements of your idea. You should be aware that there aren't any iron deposits there as far as I know, and that the creek and the other Iron Spring were mistakenly named "iron" due to coloration from bacteria in the water. Of course, that might not matter to Fenn, but we are talking about "home of Brown", and there probably isn't any iron at the "home". In any event, at least you are "homing in" on something that may prove worthwhile, as long as it fits with your WWWH, etc.

By the way, you seem to have the Little Firehole and Iron Spring Creek transposed on your map (see your comments above). I don't know if this affects your solution, however
06-08-2019, 04:26 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-08-2019, 05:39 PM by realistrealist.)
Woops, right you are Jef. Thanks for checking me. Sometimes I get a little ahead of myself. Regarding the juxtaposition, I wrote both parts at different times.

The directions of the 3rd-4th are what I still don't get on that solve.
06-08-2019, 06:09 PM,
Who is Jef? Or are you speaking metaphorically?
06-08-2019, 06:24 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-08-2019, 07:07 PM by realistrealist.)
(06-08-2019, 06:09 PM)Beavertooth Wrote: Who is Jef? Or are you speaking metaphorically?

Sorry was reading on phone! Thought your post was Andrew Jefs, he deleted his comment.

While I previously though 1st grade = 1st clue, I think it's really corresponding to West Yellowstone and the 1st stanza.
06-08-2019, 08:07 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-08-2019, 08:17 PM by realistrealist.)
https://imgur.com/a/IHVEK5Q

For the idea, the Brown Sprouter empties into Iron Spring Creek. And it does have the largest trout of the tributaries (I believe) when the weather is right.

If I don't know WWWH is correct and get hoB correct in this scenario, it doesn't matter if I have WWWH. The key is that they need to be connected in some way.

And if I'm being honest, I like the Swimming Area north the best - I'm just sure it's been searched around probably hundreds of times now. Like... I thought this guy was on the wrong side of the river and got most of the clues wrong - https://www.reddit.com/r/FindingFennsGol..._has_been/

While this guy went the wrong way, but had some of the clues correct - https://www.reddit.com/r/FindingFennsGol...of_charge/

And I thought this guy had the beginning mostly (terms of path) correct before falling for a trap (up to outhouses where I think you'd park) and missed right turn - https://www.reddit.com/r/FindingFennsGol...ll_solves/
06-08-2019, 09:47 PM,
(06-08-2019, 08:07 PM)realistrealist Wrote: https://imgur.com/a/IHVEK5Q

For the idea, the Brown Sprouter empties into Iron Spring Creek. And it does have the largest trout of the tributaries (I believe) when the weather is right.

If I don't know WWWH is correct and get hoB correct in this scenario, it doesn't matter if I have WWWH. The key is that they need to be connected in some way.

And if I'm being honest, I like the Swimming Area north the best - I'm just sure it's been searched around probably hundreds of times now. Like... I thought this guy was on the wrong side of the river and got most of the clues wrong - https://www.reddit.com/r/FindingFennsGol..._has_been/

While this guy went the wrong way, but had some of the clues correct - https://www.reddit.com/r/FindingFennsGol...of_charge/

And I thought this guy had the beginning mostly (terms of path) correct before falling for a trap (up to outhouses where I think you'd park) and missed right turn - https://www.reddit.com/r/FindingFennsGol...ll_solves/

Excellent work. You are traveling the path most searchers follow. Trying to link specific geographic locations to the obvious stanzas and lines in the poem. Eventually that technique seems to fail, and other avenues are explored. Fenn once said that if you have the home of Brown correct, why would you want to reverse engineer back to WWWH, thereby implying that you are correct in your view stated above. However, he subsequently has tried to get people to focus on WWWH, implying to me that hoB is trickier to get to without first solving for WWWH. I don't think hoB is easy to solve, and/or is as important as other clues. Just my opinion. YMMV
06-08-2019, 10:41 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-08-2019, 10:41 PM by realistrealist.)
(06-08-2019, 09:47 PM)Beavertooth Wrote:
(06-08-2019, 08:07 PM)realistrealist Wrote: https://imgur.com/a/IHVEK5Q

Excellent work. You are traveling the path most searchers follow. Trying to link specific geographic locations to the obvious stanzas and lines in the poem. Eventually that technique seems to fail, and other avenues are explored. Fenn once said that if you have the home of Brown correct, why would you want to reverse engineer back to WWWH, thereby implying that you are correct in your view stated above. However, he subsequently has tried to get people to focus on WWWH, implying to me that hoB is trickier to get to without first solving for WWWH. I don't think hoB is easy to solve, and/or is as important as other clues. Just my opinion. YMMV

Thanks, Theory with the swimming area is that the chest is somewhere along Firehole heading North to Madison Junction. You still need WWWH the most and hoB is still tricky if it's Nez Perce Creek because it's talking to a put in location downstream from the creek-river confluence (actual hoB). If you get put in/hoB correct and determine "no place for the meek" is crossing the river, it eliminates the need for WWWH, even though you are still crossing it.

That theory is you're heading down canyon from north and hoB gives more meaning to TFTW. Nez Perce Creek is the outer bounds of "not far" while crossing the street to steps and descending is too far to walk (now that I wrote it out... TFTW needs to get be across water I think and that's not happening here). Then no place for the meek is simply swimming across the river.
06-09-2019, 05:37 AM,
Originally, "put in" meant to get out of the water because it related to a sailing ship "putting in" to a port city or town. The advent of small boats, kayaks, etc. have led to the more frequent modern usage of putting something into the water. But the original meaning is still in use. Ships still put in to a port.

Maybe this will help.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can you stumble up on a clue from another direction in there." mikemarcum03 0 226 04-10-2019, 11:55 AM
Last Post: mikemarcum03
  Travel vs computer Copper 20 5,190 11-11-2017, 07:10 PM
Last Post: mike marcum
  Time travel Hammertime 7 3,512 10-06-2016, 08:17 PM
Last Post: Hammertime
  Start/finish will197532 3 2,500 04-18-2016, 04:16 PM
Last Post: tom
  Travel Channel Show on Fenn... LET DOWN! glock20 19 9,019 11-20-2015, 03:02 PM
Last Post: Larsonist
  Travel channel special Buddy Allen 12 8,345 11-13-2015, 08:20 AM
Last Post: Milan