Not logged in. Login - Register

All new registrations need to be approved manually. After registration, mail me at tyblossom at aol dot com.
ChaseChat is available for Smartphones via Tapatalk, Download the app at http://tapatalk.com/m?id=4&referer=1048173. After installing CLICK HERE to add the forum to Tapatalk.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The trouble with confidence...
06-11-2019, 07:48 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-11-2019, 07:52 AM by crazyfamily.)
...comes from the multiple and contradictory definitions of the word. In usual Fenn fashion, something seemingly so clear is actually quite cloudy. Forrest said that we don't know what many of our words mean, but sometimes knowing the meanings can be problematic.
06-11-2019, 08:49 AM,
RE: The trouble with confidence...
(06-11-2019, 07:48 AM)crazyfamily Wrote: ...comes from the multiple and contradictory definitions of the word. In usual Fenn fashion, something seemingly so clear is actually quite cloudy. Forrest said that we don't know what many of our words mean, but sometimes knowing the meanings can be problematic.

I hope he is not a con(fidence) man! Smile

I have faith -- at least until my next BOTG trip. Hope is a terrible mistress, although I will be going with confidence.

YMMV
06-11-2019, 09:21 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-11-2019, 09:31 AM by crazyfamily.)
I love the story of how we got started in the chase.

I worked on our solution for a year or more before I told my wife that I was just stuck. I had a compelling, three clue solution that seemed to lead somewhere. I just didn’t know where.

Her response was surprising. She said, “we just have to go look.” I was amazed at that approach, so, we went. What’s more amazing is that when we finished our first BOTG she was hooked. She later admitted that she thought I was nuts and only suggested that we go search so that it would end.

That was 5 years and 10+ BOTG trips ago. These days she’s the one who’s craving BOTG and I have to hold her back from impulsive, low confidence trips.

razyfamily
06-11-2019, 11:29 AM,
(06-11-2019, 07:48 AM)crazyfamily Wrote: ...comes from the multiple and contradictory definitions of the word. In usual Fenn fashion, something seemingly so clear is actually quite cloudy. Forrest said that we don't know what many of our words mean, but sometimes knowing the meanings can be problematic.

The one who solves it will have ("true") confidence, but many that think they solved it will have ("false") confidence.

Knowing the difference between true and false looks only possible, in hindsight.
=====

DON’T RESEARCH...THINK!!!

https://www.allmovie.com/movie/v46056

Oh Homeo, Oh Homeo, Wherefore art thou Homeo ?
06-11-2019, 11:56 AM,

Maybe he should write a book that clarifies which meanings to use.
06-11-2019, 12:17 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-11-2019, 12:17 PM by fundamental design.)
(06-11-2019, 07:48 AM)crazyfamily Wrote: ...comes from the multiple and contradictory definitions of the word.

Yes, that’s easy to figure out, like day 4 of anyone’s Chase. So, why constrict one’s self with focusing on multiple definitions of the word?

A key doesn’t have many multiple outcomes. It either unlocks a lock or it doesn’t.

Howdy, Mister.
06-11-2019, 12:28 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-11-2019, 12:31 PM by crazyfamily.)
(06-11-2019, 11:29 AM)astree Wrote: The one who solves it will have ("true") confidence, but many that think they solved it will have ("false") confidence.

Knowing the difference between true and false looks only possible, in hindsight.

Okay, but the problem therein is like the difference between a standard royal flush and a royal flush of all the same suit. There’s enough confidence to shirk responsibility and spend a bunch of money on a search, but would I hand over the deed to my house? No.

Is that the difference? Would you sign over the deed to your house on your solution?

(06-11-2019, 12:17 PM)fundamental design Wrote: Yes, that’s easy to figure out, like day 4 of anyone’s Chase. So, why constrict one’s self with focusing on multiple definitions of the word?

A key doesn’t have many multiple outcomes. It either unlocks a lock or it doesn’t.

Well, it’s the difference between knowing with certainty that you’re correct, the game setter being a con man, or the finder has information that was given confidentially.
razyfamily
06-11-2019, 05:02 PM,
(06-11-2019, 09:21 AM)crazyfamily Wrote: I love the story of how we got started in the chase.

I worked on our solution for a year or more before I told my wife that I was just stuck. I had a compelling, three clue solution that seemed to lead somewhere. I just didn’t know where.

Her response was surprising. She said, “we just have to go look.” I was amazed at that approach, so, we went. What’s more amazing is that when we finished our first BOTG she was hooked. She later admitted that she thought I was nuts and only suggested that we go search so that it would end.

That was 5 years and 10+ BOTG trips ago. These days she’s the one who’s craving BOTG and I have to hold her back from impulsive, low confidence trips.

razyfamily

Thank you for sharing. I'm happy for both of you.
06-12-2019, 09:10 AM,
So, last night Yates announced at Hairy’s that he has solved the poem.

Instead of quietly walking to the treasure, as Forrest has said the finder would do, Yates had the “confidence” to place his head on the chopping block in the town square with everyone watching.

Davis came out of the wood work to take whacks at the head with his predictably blunt battle ax fashioned from poop.

Now, I’m skeptical of Yates solution, for sure. Forrest said that many had solved the first clue, so I have a hard time believing that “many” have done what Yates did to that poem. Still, according to Astree, who is very wise, Yates may be experiencing true confidence but will have to wait until he goes to see if the treasure is where he thinks Forrest put it.

What was Yates thinking. He left chasechat for that Hairy flop house thinking what? They would lavish him with praise for his brilliant work on his chrisword puzzle? Yates is obviously the type who can’t keep it quiet. We will have to wait, and perhaps we’ll never know.

Doesn’t feel like confidence to me.

razyfamily
06-12-2019, 10:05 AM,
Well I'm running out to search right now. I am extremely confident that I will see some amazing and beautiful stuff, treasure who knows. Just got to run by the deli and pick up a sammich.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Confidence Hammertime 6 3,092 08-21-2016, 12:20 PM
Last Post: Hammertime
  Move forward with confidence... inohury 2 2,585 08-12-2016, 11:26 AM
Last Post: pidmt
  Heard this quote on the office yesterday about confidence... LostFound 1 1,287 07-14-2016, 02:04 PM
Last Post: Silentfly
  There is ZERO confidence in our searches Larsonist 89 36,721 02-14-2016, 08:37 PM
Last Post: superfly
  My take on confidence Hammertime 6 3,816 02-13-2016, 10:09 PM
Last Post: BiggaB
  The Trouble With Confidence Iron Will 56 13,985 06-18-2015, 11:28 PM
Last Post: Shanghai Jack