Not logged in. Login - Register

All new registrations need to be approved manually. After registration, mail me at tyblossom at aol dot com.
ChaseChat is available for Smartphones via Tapatalk, Download the app at http://tapatalk.com/m?id=4&referer=1048173. After installing CLICK HERE to add the forum to Tapatalk.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wouldn't it be nice . . .
09-08-2019, 01:19 AM,
Wouldn't it be nice . . .
. . . if the actual goodies (TC, coins, nuggets, etc.) were less than 500 feet from a good (that is, reasonable) parking spot? Who really wants to carry them farther?

I'm not convinced that this is, in fact, the case. If FF thought that it
might take up to about 10,000 years for the goodies to be found, this
suggests that a random hiker/explorer in the area (not a treasurer hunter) would not see the goodies while just hiking around and enjoying the fresh air and local scenery. Since 10,000 years is such a long time, I can imagine hunters, rockhounds, prospectors, birders, kite-fliers, balloonists, and other various outdoor enthusiasts eventually being at almost every square yard within 500 feet of a specific good parking spot.

Taking a short walk (for example, for photography or just "stretching one's legs") is nothing unusual. I can imagine doing this at some unplanned stop (a potty break, for example, where there are no "facilities"). If there is no noticeable landmark -- such as a black stone slab -- indicating where the hidey space is, and if the goodies were not deliberately buried by FF, it seems reasonable to me that the goodies, if not purposefully concealed by rocks or vegetation, would be too easily discovered by a non-searcher unless deliberately located more than -- and perhaps substantially more than -- about 500 feet of a road suitable for a normal/typical modern sedan.

For a while, I was imagining that the "hidey space" -- that is so hard to
find by solving the poem -- might be more than 500 feet from a
reasonable parking spot, but simply give detailed directions to a
place (closer to the parking spot) where the goodies physically are.

This message contains only some of my thoughts on this. I'd like to
see yours. Thanks in advance.
09-08-2019, 08:28 AM,
RE: Wouldn't it be nice . . .
You must be reading my minf Jef. I am feeling exhausted by searching up in the mountains. What if the poem is LIKE where he hid it. He does start with a simile. Once solved, you are looking for a Copy of that somewhere more easily accessible. It's far fetched, but people would certainly be "surprised".

I like your idea!
09-08-2019, 09:55 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-08-2019, 09:57 AM by Sorry Deuce.)
Lots of "parking spots " I've seen consist of a passable forest service road leading into a trailhead in the back country, with one or more trails heading off. If the trail goes south, and you go north... Even 500 feet would be endless possibilities

"Alone I sought a place among the silent peaks, following a frozen stream where snow on either side banked the trees to their icy necks.... This was no place for men, but a place for gods to linger, a place to wait in silence for the world to end."
09-08-2019, 11:41 AM,
Just assume it is buried. Then you know you have to get the exact spot from the poem.
09-08-2019, 01:15 PM,
Dig does appear in the last line of the poem, but FF said no tools are needed. Maybe Berried...
09-08-2019, 01:58 PM,
(09-08-2019, 01:15 PM)mrknow Wrote: Dig does appear in the last line of the poem, but FF said no tools are needed. Maybe Berried...

FF did not say that no tools were needed to get the chest. He did say that you wouldn't need a tool as you carried out the chest. Why would anyone need a tool to carry out the chest?
These are all just my ideas. I hope no one uses them.
09-08-2019, 02:13 PM,
(09-08-2019, 01:58 PM)trigace Wrote:
(09-08-2019, 01:15 PM)mrknow Wrote: Dig does appear in the last line of the poem, but FF said no tools are needed. Maybe Berried...

FF did not say that no tools were needed to get the chest. He did say that you wouldn't need a tool as you carried out the chest. Why would anyone need a tool to carry out the chest?

Do you happen to have that quote Trigace?
09-08-2019, 02:40 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-08-2019, 02:41 PM by Chris Yates.)
stephan the pantsless pirate claimed that f sent it to him in an email as a poem

https://dalneitzel.com/tag/stephan/

Just so all you seekers know, me and the lads did not dig beneath that thar tree of ours. A mysterious fellow named “f” once sent us a curious poem, part of which said somethin’ like: “…while fools argue about the quest, he won’t even need a tool, as he carries out the chest.”
09-08-2019, 03:18 PM,
(09-08-2019, 02:13 PM)mrknow Wrote:
(09-08-2019, 01:58 PM)trigace Wrote:

Do you happen to have that quote Trigace?

I don't have the source except in my own notes but it has been quoted and used many times by others.
These are all just my ideas. I hope no one uses them.
09-13-2019, 12:12 AM,
(09-08-2019, 01:19 AM)Andrew Jef Wrote: . . . if the actual goodies (TC, coins, nuggets, etc.) were less than 500 feet from a good (that is, reasonable) parking spot? Who really wants to carry them farther?

I'm not convinced that this is, in fact, the case. If FF thought that it
might take up to about 10,000 years for the goodies to be found, this
suggests that a random hiker/explorer in the area (not a treasurer hunter) would not see the goodies while just hiking around and enjoying the fresh air and local scenery. Since 10,000 years is such a long time, I can imagine hunters, rockhounds, prospectors, birders, kite-fliers, balloonists, and other various outdoor enthusiasts eventually being at almost every square yard within 500 feet of a specific good parking spot.

Taking a short walk (for example, for photography or just "stretching one's legs") is nothing unusual. I can imagine doing this at some unplanned stop (a potty break, for example, where there are no "facilities"). If there is no noticeable landmark -- such as a black stone slab -- indicating where the hidey space is, and if the goodies were not deliberately buried by FF, it seems reasonable to me that the goodies, if not purposefully concealed by rocks or vegetation, would be too easily discovered by a non-searcher unless deliberately located more than -- and perhaps substantially more than -- about 500 feet of a road suitable for a normal/typical modern sedan.

For a while, I was imagining that the "hidey space" -- that is so hard to
find by solving the poem -- might be more than 500 feet from a
reasonable parking spot, but simply give detailed directions to a
place (closer to the parking spot) where the goodies physically are.

This message contains only some of my thoughts on this. I'd like to
see yours. Thanks in advance.

I suppose it would be nice, but I wouldn't count on it.
Not all of us are capable of hiking more than a mile on uneven ground while carrying about 21 pounds of goodies in a backpack, all during one afternoon (not to mention doing something very similar soon thereafter). I'm still trying to figure out who carried this stuff most of that distance . . . if it wasn't FF himself. But this may not much matter to the searcher who finds the TC.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What wouldn't be feasible to move?? Gordon Lightfoot 4 2,090 07-04-2017, 11:30 AM
Last Post: pidmt
  OFF TOPIC: Don't read if you have nothing nice to say Mindy 41 16,630 09-28-2016, 09:03 PM
Last Post: waterhi
  Its been nice... romeofoxtrot 52 21,093 08-29-2016, 06:17 AM
Last Post: romeofoxtrot
  Wouldn't you like to know... Hammertime 3 2,200 08-24-2016, 03:43 PM
Last Post: fundamental design