Not logged in. Login - Register

All new registrations need to be approved manually. After registration, mail me at tyblossom at aol dot com.
ChaseChat is available for Smartphones via Tapatalk, Download the app at http://tapatalk.com/m?id=4&referer=1048173. After installing CLICK HERE to add the forum to Tapatalk.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Specialized Knowledge
09-13-2019, 11:55 AM,
RE: Specialized Knowledge
(09-13-2019, 11:37 AM)filmguy Wrote:
(09-09-2019, 10:47 PM)crazyfamily Wrote: Is typing words into your google search query really considered specialized knowledge? In case no one has noticed it’s not 1950 anymore.

razyfamily

I have asked Fenn this a few years back after everyone got tired of me destroying their solve saying they used "specialized knowledge."

Fenn's definition is anything outside high school knowledge.

You're welcome and can we please put this to bed.
If you're using the internet and not a map you're not solving the poem <- paraphrasing f comment

Thanks for posting the high school knowledge comment. It should be useful to a lot of searchers.

Any chance of getting the actual words f used related to using the internet vs. a map? I believe that minimal use of the internet or a library would be helpful, but I could be wrong.
09-13-2019, 01:03 PM,
i took trigonometry in high school and was learning things like calculating the sine and tangent of a right trigon

also, french class, while many others took spanish

so when he says we don't need to look any words up, does that mean a 40 year old should remember the spanish they learned in high school?

or what if they took french instead like me? because what is being taught in high school, is being taught in high school. that would be high school knowledge. and according to FG he said anything outside of high school knowledge

and should i need to remember the quadratic equation? or all the things i learned in science and chemistry class about elements and the periodic table and other things?

i learned about all these things, but today i would need to look them up

point is, i don't find the high school comment to be very clarifying about anything really

to the extent that f emphasizes we need to use a map, that may be helpful to some. fact is, you are going to have to tie in the clue solves directly to geography and maps.

so i say maybe helpful to some, because we are solving the clues to trace them to a literal location. any logical thinking person wouldn't need to be told the importance of maps and geography and that clues would relate directly to these things, in this context
09-13-2019, 01:13 PM,
Specialized Knowledge
Additionally, Forrest said in one of those recent interviews that we need to research.

razyfamily
09-13-2019, 02:29 PM,
(09-13-2019, 01:13 PM)crazyfamily Wrote: Additionally, Forrest said in one of those recent interviews that we need to research.

As in search and re-search?

Smile
09-13-2019, 03:43 PM,
(09-09-2019, 10:47 PM)crazyfamily Wrote: Is typing words into your google search query really considered specialized knowledge? In case no one has noticed it’s not 1950 anymore.

razyfamily

I agree with your point if I'm understanding you correctly.

To me, specialized knowledge requires post-secondary courses to understand.

Trivia can be found on the Internet and it is understandable to everybody, although not necessarily already known.
09-13-2019, 05:02 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-13-2019, 05:03 PM by filmguy.)
I think a lot of comments are hitting the nail on the head.

Who remembers much about the science and geography classes in high school?
Fenn's recent comment about getting into the research may be referring to the searchers who can't think of anything outside of hot springs for wwwh or may not know what makes up a canyon outside of a map labeling it as such.

It's very possible that our canyon down could be one that isn't labeled on a map as "so-and-so" canyon.
Could be one that's not large enough to qualify to be marked on a map.
Could be why people are walking right past it.
Could be ......could be..... could be.......well...that just about sums up the chase

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  knowledge quotes zombiecupkake 4 679 01-16-2019, 07:53 AM
Last Post: zombiecupkake
  People with knowledge a good thing. mikemarcum878 0 411 07-13-2018, 12:38 PM
Last Post: mikemarcum878
  Comprehensive knowledge of Geography fabjr71 14 9,751 01-10-2017, 09:55 AM
Last Post: fabjr71
  Knowledge of Geography TheTrueNorth 16 7,359 12-20-2016, 05:23 PM
Last Post: Gordon Lightfoot
  Intimate knowledge The Count 9 7,290 04-27-2016, 07:20 PM
Last Post: Buddy Allen