Not logged in. Login - Register

All new registrations need to be approved manually. After registration, mail me at tyblossom at aol dot com.
ChaseChat is available for Smartphones via Tapatalk, Download the app at http://tapatalk.com/m?id=4&referer=1048173. After installing CLICK HERE to add the forum to Tapatalk.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
When The End Has Come
12-27-2019, 07:29 PM,
RE: When The End Has Come
(12-25-2019, 06:14 PM)travis.gore.79 Wrote:
(12-24-2019, 10:31 PM)GoldenFrog Wrote: You know what would be nice? To carry on the story... As the finder, I don't have to give away the spot; but, I could give clues, to the tale...

You know, I only want one item in there... But I'd still let 100% go to a museum, with the caveat that I can hold one item now and then, and show it to the kids in the museum, at that time...

But, what fun giving clues...

Clue 1 ~ Nature is the greatest artist... Lewis and Clark knew that...

The finder could just leave some treasure as well.To keep the game going. A consolation prize, so to speak.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I've really thought about this, and I'm not sure it's a good idea...
12-28-2019, 03:14 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-28-2019, 03:15 AM by GoldenFrog.)
The story will last long after, the TC has been found... That's the story, I want to tell...

It would be fitting, to go to a writer...
01-31-2020, 08:24 PM,
(11-19-2019, 10:11 AM)GoldenFrog Wrote: Years ago, more then twenty now, I inherited a few items from a passed relative. Among them was a rather old looking fountain pen, that I would find out later was a celluloid Waterman with filigree silver inlay. Though it was a pretty object, I had no real use for it; so, I decided I would sell it.

I determined at that time to use a new popular online platform to place the pen up for sale. In those days, online auctions were newly established avenues of commerce, that were just starting to grow in popularity. I had hoped to receive at least a $100 from the sale, not knowing anything about it; other then I was certain the silver was real, and that surely someone else might want it.

Very quickly after establishing the auction, I started to receive an influx of questions; enquirers requesting information on markings within, and photos of the pen disassembled.

The auction surpassed the $100 mark very quickly, then moved onto the $1000 mark. As the pen surpassed the $2000 mark, I began to gain more appreciation for this item. Though it wasn't much of an astringent value to myself, I recognized the great value it had unto others. Eventually the pen went for over $3500, and made its way onto a happy buyer, who was grateful of receiving it for such a great deal.

You see, I had always appreciated collectibles, and antiques; but, up until that point, I hadn't really appreciated the investment they could mean to others. We can keep money in markets or bonds, but, can we enjoy such investments in a tangible way?

From that day on, when I spent money on those things I enjoyed, I tried to make sure they were items I could return my monies on. I could enjoy my investments in a daily manner, without the need to surround myself with disposable accoutrements.

While a work of art to me is an enjoyment of history, story and value, I still never lose sight of what it might mean to others. To some these may engross great respect, to others they are all meaningless substitutes for cash.

What can we do, but to laugh at ourselves, for taking our own views, so seriously...

We can laugh at the folks who would spend a lot of money on a pen, and then die before selling it. We can laugh at the idea that somebody has
thousands of excess dollars while others starve. Not that it's the fault
of the rich person that others are reproducing faster than they can
ethically afford to. Silly humans!