Not logged in. Login - Register

All new registrations need to be approved manually. After registration, mail me at tyblossom at aol dot com.
ChaseChat is available for Smartphones via Tapatalk, Download the app at http://tapatalk.com/m?id=4&referer=1048173. After installing CLICK HERE to add the forum to Tapatalk.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
In Your Opinion - What Are We Missing?
12-19-2019, 11:06 PM,
RE: In Your Opinion - What Are We Missing?
(12-19-2019, 10:26 PM)crazyfamily Wrote: Oh, a reversal from Yates. Didn’t expect that.

(12-19-2019, 10:08 PM)Chris Yates Wrote: ...especially when a correct and complete solve will require a long list of consecutive clues to be correct.... in a place as large as the Rockies, no one is going to stumble onto a correct solve with that many lucky guesses

and this is precisely why f has never made a comment using that specific wording ... the way you stated it ... that someone/anyone has "solved" or deciphered the first clue but didn't know it

Do expect that people will somehow *know* for sure once they have found the first clue?
”No, many people have found the first clue but they didn’t know it. Until someone finds the treasure they will not know for sure that they have discovered the first clue.”

Or they might have found it without realizing it?
Yes

They might have found it without realizing it...yes.

Or Fenn may be tricky with words here. Finding the first clue doesn't necessarily mean solving the first clue. Also, "knowing" the first clue seems to be different from "finding" it in Fenn's comment above. What does "knowing" mean in that context?
12-19-2019, 11:26 PM,
(12-19-2019, 11:06 PM)Beavertooth Wrote:
(12-19-2019, 10:26 PM)crazyfamily Wrote: Oh, a reversal from Yates. Didn’t expect that.

(12-19-2019, 10:08 PM)Chris Yates Wrote: ...especially when a correct and complete solve will require a long list of consecutive clues to be correct.... in a place as large as the Rockies, no one is going to stumble onto a correct solve with that many lucky guesses

and this is precisely why f has never made a comment using that specific wording ... the way you stated it ... that someone/anyone has "solved" or deciphered the first clue but didn't know it

Do expect that people will somehow *know* for sure once they have found the first clue?
”No, many people have found the first clue but they didn’t know it. Until someone finds the treasure they will not know for sure that they have discovered the first clue.”

Yes

Or Fenn may be tricky with words here. Finding the first clue doesn't necessarily mean solving the first clue. Also, "knowing" the first clue seems to be different from "finding" it in Fenn's comment above. What does "knowing" mean in that context?
Agree identifying and solving are two different things
12-20-2019, 01:43 AM,
(12-19-2019, 05:50 PM)brubr Wrote:
(12-19-2019, 03:27 PM)HankJonesJr. Wrote: How many think that you can find WWWH without boots on the ground?

I do.

For sure you just have to define halt...
just saying ss
01-05-2020, 11:57 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-06-2020, 12:53 PM by crazyfamily.)
(12-19-2019, 11:06 PM)Beavertooth Wrote:

Yes

What does discovered mean in that context? I think everyone overthinks Fenn's comments like these.

razyfamily
01-06-2020, 02:45 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-07-2020, 08:52 AM by fundamental design.)
(12-19-2019, 10:08 PM)Chris Yates Wrote:
(12-19-2019, 05:06 PM)crazyfamily Wrote: Precisely. That’s what we’re missing.

This has been hashed out for years, but there are a few things that I think are important.

1) many have solved the first clue, but they won’t know it until the treasure is found. The solution to the first clue is common enough for many to have solved it.

2) water doesn’t have to be halted there, IT begins at a place where warm waters halt. WWWH could be an entirely theoretical place where you find IT. Or just where IT starts.

#1 is false and obviously so

moreover, you can't solve something and not know it's correct, because that would defeat the whole purpose of making something solvable

especially when a correct and complete solve will require a long list of consecutive clues to be correct.... in a place as large as the Rockies, no one is going to stumble onto a correct solve with that many lucky guesses

that wouldn't even make any sense

and to believe such an absurdity renders the idea of solving/deciphering clues completely meaningless

there would be no way to tell the difference between solving something correctly or solving it incorrectly, which would mean this whole thing is a sham

Not necessarily. You are leaving out one aspect of the chain of solving. It could be the only thing able to be solved to a degree of certainty in the string of hints and clues are the hints. Like I’ve been saying. That makes what f and some of what cf said above all possible.

Pays to be a winner.
01-06-2020, 03:33 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-06-2020, 03:36 PM by crazyfamily.)
Well, that’s the problem with code solvers. The correct solution would require the whole code before any clue can be recognized. It’s an abomination of the cake analogy where all of the cake ingredients are all dumped in the bowl at once, icing, sprinkles and all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
01-08-2020, 06:31 PM,
(12-19-2019, 03:27 PM)HankJonesJr. Wrote: How many think that you can find WWWH without boots on the ground?

Yes. Forrest said as much when he replied to that question about the Indian Girl. She can correctly speculate the first two clues from Mumbai but would need to go there and scope out the general area to start figuring out the rest of the clues.

It makes logical sense to me that we should start somewhere very public and follow a route to somewhere very private.
01-09-2020, 10:03 AM,
pimiento cheese sandwich The bowl of colorful flaring edges.

I never had a pimento sandwich but i would if it had alfalfa sprouts. https://dalneitzel.com/2013/03/06/grille...part-deux/
01-09-2020, 03:11 PM,
(01-09-2020, 10:03 AM)khan Wrote: pimiento cheese sandwich The bowl of colorful flaring edges.

I never had a pimento sandwich but i would if it had alfalfa sprouts. https://dalneitzel.com/2013/03/06/grille...part-deux/

Love the way he spelled Missississisipi
01-21-2020, 09:58 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-21-2020, 09:58 AM by Bigsteve.)
You can find wwwh from GE because the little girl from India can also

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Just read an opinion by Dal admin 24 2,355 06-11-2020, 12:34 AM
Last Post: admin
  only my opinion Chris Yates 3 939 09-18-2019, 09:15 AM
Last Post: Beavertooth
  This is just my opinion.... Gordon Lightfoot 8 3,407 09-18-2018, 01:35 PM
Last Post: John Brown
  Forrest's Missing Book? Beavertooth 2 1,490 02-19-2018, 02:55 PM
Last Post: knighterrant
  My tooth brush is missing geydelkon 10 3,992 01-05-2018, 02:11 AM