Not logged in. Login - Register

All new registrations need to be approved manually. After registration, mail me at tyblossom at aol dot com.
ChaseChat is available for Smartphones via Tapatalk, Download the app at http://tapatalk.com/m?id=4&referer=1048173. After installing CLICK HERE to add the forum to Tapatalk.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Names of places thousands of years from now
03-24-2020, 01:38 AM,
History shows that names of places do change. This includes some
cities that are now huge, and that were established (having a different
name) thousands of years ago.

I think it's reasonable to expect that in the next few thousand years,
many (if not most) of the names shown on modern/current maps will
have changed.

For this reason, I wouldn't depend on those names in solving the poem,
except for the possibility that a name of a place may tend to describe
its physical features. And the physical features could well last thousands
of years. For a fictional/hypothetical example, if a lake is in a relatively small local area with a lot of red rocks, that lake's name might be Red Rock Lake. And even if the name changes to Jones Lake because the
land was bought by Jones, who wanted to name the lake after himself,
the poem's description (hypothetically altered to fit the physical description of this lake) might say something like "a place of red wetness". This is
all just an effort to show how it might work. No intention was intended
here to offend anyone who is sensitive regarding any of this kind of stuff.
I try to be better with just words than when earnestly graphing things.
03-24-2020, 02:07 PM,
RE: Names of places thousands of years from now
Insightful and probably correct.

However, never underestimate the intransigence of embedded bureaucrats, who could well fixate on existing names, and retard any changes (no pun intended--holdover from Scrapbook 250) for a thousand years or more.

Smile
03-24-2020, 04:58 PM,
RE: Names of places thousands of years from now
unless civilization is destroyed, maps from the time period f hid the treasure will be available

not to mention recorded history of what places were called of the names are changed

so anything that is named whether its a feature or a town on a map would be reliable clues for a very very long time, if f used them as such in the poem
03-25-2020, 11:42 AM,
I'm not as interested in what they'll be called in the future as I am in what they were called in the past. When I asked a ranger what was at the end of the road, the ranger said, "I don't remember what 'they' called it."

This was very revealing to me in several ways. First, it told me it is actually a place. Second, it told me the general public doesn't know what the place is called. Unless, of course, you had gained that particular specialized knowledge elsweyr. I wasn't going to let "them" know that "I" do remember what it was called. It isn't known today by the name it was known by yesterday (like most places).

I know who used to live there, and I think I know why it has been erased from our history books. After finding this place, I must admit, I no longer had the poem in mind. I feel like this could be the place(because of it's mysterious entries), but it is nothing but confirmation bias now.

One thing I often think about is who did 'they' mean by "they"? I feel like if I can get confirmation on the "they" here that this could be used to connect two particular places and create a bond between the place to the poem.

I searched and searched for that treasure out there. I did not find the chest, but I would not have found this place without the poem. I can't shake the feeling that this place evokes.

I don't even care if I'm wrong or right. I just want a reason to go back to whatever it's called.
03-25-2020, 02:06 PM,
https://youtu.be/JlZvJUupk-0

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Places I have searched OutDoorLover777 24 8,450 05-23-2018, 10:14 PM
Last Post: Copper
  Weather/Seasons/Mystical Places/Animals Folklore Mindy 2 1,370 04-19-2018, 05:54 PM
Last Post: easternOHsteve
  Neat places to go in Northern New Mexico monkeyking 13 4,560 03-08-2018, 10:00 PM
Last Post: old drum
  new FQ: Masquerades and Special Places Chris Yates 0 1,311 05-20-2016, 08:36 AM
Last Post: Chris Yates
  Pick one of three places musstag 4 3,275 05-14-2016, 06:32 PM
Last Post: Windy City
  No Human Trails and Non-Dangerous Places glock20 25 20,450 05-01-2016, 08:26 PM
Last Post: mrmagicarovrumrebel