Not logged in. Login - Register

All new registrations need to be approved manually. After registration, mail me at tyblossom at aol dot com.
ChaseChat is available for Smartphones via Tapatalk, Download the app at http://tapatalk.com/m?id=4&referer=1048173. After installing CLICK HERE to add the forum to Tapatalk.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The decryption
05-17-2020, 04:01 PM,
RE: The decryption
The answer ‘RATTLESNAKE SPRINGS’ within the first line is the answer to the clue in the poem: ‘where warm waters halt’.

Once you have a list of the answers to the clues it requires guessing that the words of those answers such as ‘RATTLESNAKE SPRINGS’ may be used to reveal the secret directions. i.e. the words may be decrypted using the Lewis & Clark cipher.

From that assumption, it requires guessing what passwords Fenn may have used.

The last line in the poem ' ‘I’ give you title to the gold' suggested it was worth a try using Fenn's name as part of a password phrase. i.e. to use it on the top line of the decryption above, and elsewhere within the list of answers.

Once the word 'FENN' was positioned in the right place above the answer ‘RATTLESNAKE SPRINGS’ and above other answers it provided some promising letters at that location for the secret directions and in a number of other locations within the list.

Then, the rest of the password line had to be worked out by trial and error using the output from the word ‘FENN’ as a guide.

The whole line ‘BYE FENN INFAMY BOUND’ was a guess, as it looked like a good candidate password phrase. It produced a promising message in the first line of the secret directions.

But, that didn’t mean anything at all, it could have been just chance as most of the password had been guessed. It could have been just total nonsense.

However, when parts of that same password phrase were tried on other answers further down the list they yielded meaningful text in the lines of the secret directions - in multiple places. Such a thing can’t happen by chance. So, it was evident that Fenn had used this exact password phrase in all those locations.

Once the above password had been worked out, it was much easier to guess the word ‘INVICTUS’ may be worth a try to use as part of a second password phrase to decrypt the remainder of the answers in the list. Fenn quoted the poem 'Invictus' a couple of times, saying it was his favourite poem.

So, ‘FENN INVICTUS’ on the second line was easy to deduct, once the word ‘FENN’ had been located in the right place.

Again, it turned out the same password phrase could be used to decrypt other answers further down the list, in multiple locations; once again this wouldn't happen by chance. Fenn had used the exact phrase.

So, Fenn's password phrases were made up from these blocks of words: ‘BYE FENN INFAMY BOUND’ and ‘BYE FENN INVICTUS’.
05-17-2020, 04:57 PM,
Q.E.D.

But I still like mine better. Neither may be correct, of course.

Thanks for decrypting your solution. I will try to be as forthcoming when I have given up the chase.
05-17-2020, 05:47 PM,
The decryption
I see it now. Nice work.
05-17-2020, 06:19 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-17-2020, 07:01 PM by wildfuntear.)
White Knight, what are you going to do with the chest of goodies after you find it?
05-18-2020, 03:24 AM,
In my view, Searchers are unlikely to find a chest full of gold and jewels hidden in the Rocky Mountains of the USA, as one ‘treasure’ that’s available to be found by any Searcher may take the form of something different.

I’ve put up the correct solution here so Searchers may use it to generate their own data to determine whether or not such a treasure chest was available to be found by any Searcher.

Elsewhere, I’ve highlighted inconsistencies in the information provided to support the Chase. Using the word ‘inconsistent’ for that information could be regarded as a fairly generous use of language.

Searchers should remember that Admin at one time got quite close to Fenn. My understanding is now she doesn’t believe the treasure available to be found is only a chest full of gold and jewels.

Maybe it’s about time the Chase was brought to some kind of conclusion?
05-18-2020, 04:00 PM,
(05-18-2020, 03:24 AM)White Knight Wrote: In my view, Searchers are unlikely to find a chest full of gold and jewels hidden in the Rocky Mountains of the USA, as one ‘treasure’ that’s available to be found by any Searcher may take the form of something different.

I’ve put up the correct solution here so Searchers may use it to generate their own data to determine whether or not such a treasure chest was available to be found by any Searcher.

Elsewhere, I’ve highlighted inconsistencies in the information provided to support the Chase. Using the word ‘inconsistent’ for that information could be regarded as a fairly generous use of language.

Searchers should remember that Admin at one time got quite close to Fenn. My understanding is now she doesn’t believe the treasure available to be found is only a chest full of gold and jewels.

Thank you for your response (above). I take it to mean that you don't
expect to find a chest/gold/jewels, etc.

I don't much care about what others believe regarding the truth of what
can be found by a correct solve and BOTG search. Good luck to all of us,
though. I believe "some kind of conclusion" to this treasure hunt (not to
be confused with "the Chase" -- and please note this, as it's important in
solving the poem) will happen fairly soon, before the end of 2020. It has been interesting, fun, informative, and challenging. More so for some than for others, of course.
05-18-2020, 07:08 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-18-2020, 07:34 PM by dejoka.)
(05-18-2020, 03:24 AM)White Knight Wrote: In my view, Searchers are unlikely to find a chest full of gold and jewels hidden in the Rocky Mountains of the USA, as one ‘treasure’ that’s available to be found by any Searcher may take the form of something different.

You must understand the nature of the Chase to solve it. Where you see inconsistencies, the focused few see confirmation.
05-21-2020, 03:08 AM,
Where two of Fenn’s statements are polar contradictions, one or the other has to be discarded. Both statements can’t be right. It can't be resolved by interpretation.

Maybe Searchers should conclude Fenn’s statements were unreliable?

For example, saying it 'isn’t a riddle' but 'it is a riddle'.

Saying 'no ciphers were involved'; but obviously using a cipher.

My particular favourite:

Saying he put an ‘IOU in the Chest’ and then saying ‘he couldn’t remember if he left the IOU in the Chest’ when he hid it. This was odd, as Fenn seemed to have a very good memory for all the other objects he put in the chest as he has reeled those off during talks and interviews.

Fenn said he took two trips to hide the treasure chest, carrying the items of treasure separate to the chest; and then loaded them into the chest at the secret location.

It would have been necessary for Fenn to load many of the items one-by-one and arrange them as required for visual impact (to the finder) and to avoid damaging them as some items such as a necklace aged 2000 years, an antique bracelet or a glass jar would be very delicate and could be damaged by heavier objects in transit or within the chest, such as large gold nuggets.

So, at the time Fenn said he hid the chest circa 2010, he ought to have seen / handled the IOU during the loading operation. This operation would have taken place only a short period of time prior to the date when he said he couldn’t remember if he left the IOU in the chest.
05-22-2020, 02:25 AM,
One possibility could be that the IOU concept was used originally as an indicator to show that a treasure of a relatively high monetary value hadn’t been found on the basis that someone who had found it would want to cash in the IOU. In that scenario it would work best if Fenn was alive when someone found the treasure in order for him to cash the IOU.

My conclusion is that Fenn’s statements about the IOU seem illogical. Searchers may note that other statements as discussed above seem to be unreliable.
05-24-2020, 02:31 PM,
(05-22-2020, 02:25 AM)White Knight Wrote: One possibility could be that the IOU concept was used originally as an indicator to show that a treasure of a relatively high monetary value hadn’t been found on the basis that someone who had found it would want to cash in the IOU. In that scenario it would work best if Fenn was alive when someone found the treasure in order for him to cash the IOU.

My conclusion is that Fenn’s statements about the IOU seem illogical. Searchers may note that other statements as discussed above seem to be unreliable.

To earn an extra few million dollars, it would behoove the finder to shout the solution from the rooftops, so I assume f decided an IOU wasn't really necessary, regardless whether or not he was still around.

... and sorry to say, your solution does not measure up.