Not logged in. Login - Register

All new registrations need to be approved manually. After registration, mail me at tyblossom at aol dot com.
ChaseChat is available for Smartphones via Tapatalk, Download the app at http://tapatalk.com/m?id=4&referer=1048173. After installing CLICK HERE to add the forum to Tapatalk.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Port Authority Put In
05-10-2020, 01:38 PM,
Port Authority Put In
A random thought hit me this morning while watching news coverage of Covid 19. A discussion was being made about massive losses of revenues in various New York governmental agencies. After talking about the MTA and lost subway ticket fees, they moved on to the lost revenues at the "Port Authority". These included tunnel and bridge fees for cars, etc., the actual shipping ports, toll roads and EZ-Pass, rail, and others.

What was surprising to me was that the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey also has jurisdiction over the airports, with associated major lost revenues (landing fees, ticket fees, gate fees, car park fees, restaurant overrides, etc).

This led me to think about "put in below the home of Brown". In the old days, "put in" originally was related to sailing or steam ships "putting in" to harbors. More modern usage relates to places for smaller boats to "put in(to)" (or take out from) rivers and lakes, or even the oceans at times. Usually, searchers use a put in or take out related to water.

So my random thought relates to using an airport as the "put in" place. If so, an airplane might be involved along the route. I am certain others have discussed this before, but it is a new thought for me.
05-10-2020, 02:31 PM,
RE: Port Authority Put In
There are several airports / landing strips in the Rocky Mountains. Good luck.
05-12-2020, 06:53 PM,
(05-10-2020, 01:38 PM)Beavertooth Wrote: A random thought hit me this morning while watching news coverage of Covid 19. A discussion was being made about massive losses of revenues in various New York governmental agencies. After talking about the MTA and lost subway ticket fees, they moved on to the lost revenues at the "Port Authority". These included tunnel and bridge fees for cars, etc., the actual shipping ports, toll roads and EZ-Pass, rail, and others.

What was surprising to me was that the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey also has jurisdiction over the airports, with associated major lost revenues (landing fees, ticket fees, gate fees, car park fees, restaurant overrides, etc).

This led me to think about "put in below the home of Brown". In the old days, "put in" originally was related to sailing or steam ships "putting in" to harbors. More modern usage relates to places for smaller boats to "put in(to)" (or take out from) rivers and lakes, or even the oceans at times. Usually, searchers use a put in or take out related to water.

So my random thought relates to using an airport as the "put in" place. If so, an airplane might be involved along the route. I am certain others have discussed this before, but it is a new thought for me.

I think Occam's Razor tells me that "put in" means a boat ramp.

When Kipling met with Yankee Jim, his neighbors all came a-visiting throughout the day. Yankee Jim had a boat ramp just like all his neighbors along the river. The neighbors on the same side of the river walked to Jim's house while the neighbors just across the river used a canoe.
05-12-2020, 10:10 PM,
(05-12-2020, 06:53 PM)muset Wrote: The neighbors on the same side of the river walked to Jim's house while the neighbors just across the river used a canoe.

So Jim's house was just "too far to walk" for the neighbors across the river?
05-13-2020, 05:19 PM,
I have always thought (2017 began) that put in meant that the complete trip would be too far to walk; Forrest then put the TC in its place under the hoB. This stanza just stands alone as beginning and ending IMO.
I know the next instruction says "From there..." so am probably incorrect. But I am thinking backward from what many are in my directions! The Spring Acreek comes into play for me anyway as it is very hard terrain and takes the most time to traverse but you have already (nearly) arrived.
just saying ss
05-13-2020, 06:09 PM,
(05-13-2020, 05:19 PM)easternOHsteve Wrote: I have always thought (2017 began) that put in meant that the complete trip would be too far to walk; Forrest then put the TC in its place under the hoB. This stanza just stands alone as beginning and ending IMO.
I know the next instruction says "From there..." so am probably incorrect. But I am thinking backward from what many are in my directions! The Spring Acreek comes into play for me anyway as it is very hard terrain and takes the most time to traverse but you have already (nearly) arrived.

Interesting. This would not work with my hoB, but interesting, nevertheless.