Not logged in. Login - Register

All new registrations need to be approved manually. After registration, mail me at tyblossom at aol dot com.
ChaseChat is available for Smartphones via Tapatalk, Download the app at http://tapatalk.com/m?id=4&referer=1048173. After installing CLICK HERE to add the forum to Tapatalk.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Within "a few steps" of the treasure . . .
05-12-2020, 09:39 PM,
Although this phrase is not one that I have seen many, many times, I
think it may be significant in qualifying a prospective search location.

Please consider a natural feature such as a river. If your solution of the poem leads you to the river, but provides no further guidance, then where do you go from there? Do you look in the water? Do you consider crossing the river? Do you stay closely alongside it while moving upstream or downstream? This solution isn't very specific, unless your path/trail to the river is narrowly defined. In this case, it would seem logical to go to the river, and look only very closely nearby, hoping to see the chest -- or perhaps a dark/black(ish) flat stone to
look under . . . or something else that would seem like a small hidey
place. An example of this might be a hollow log (although I tend not
to believe that the TC is in a log, due to a typical log's lack of durability).

What I'm trying to convey/explain is that the poem, if it can actually lead a searcher to a place within a few steps of the treasure, should be extremely specific and (to borrow a word) "focused". I believe that a correct/valid solve should have the searcher finding/seeing something that is not only specific and well-defined regarding where its edges/
borders are, but relatively small, in order to define a logical and reasonable search area that is, in turn, also relatively small.

When I think of "a few steps", I don't imagine a distance of 100 feet or
more. I think more like about 20 feet or less. So following the poem's directions validly should, in my opinion, bring one within about 20 feet
of the hidey place. And should also "stop" one at that location, rather
than having the searcher continue walking/hiking past the trove, still
looking for the hidey place.

I have been looking for some important significance in the phrase "a few
steps", and have imagined a situation perhaps notable in one's (or FF's)
life that involved "a few steps" rather than many steps such as a long
walk or hike. Not many situations seem to "fit" this, although one or two have come to mind. I'm afraid to mention more details of this at
this time, but I hope to have stimulated some thought and perhaps
brought some enjoyment to some searchers. Good luck to all.
05-12-2020, 10:05 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-12-2020, 10:06 PM by Beavertooth.)
RE: Within "a few steps" of the treasure . . .
There was a mention of the book and movie titled "The 39 Steps" in the forum. The movie was directed by Alfred Hitchcock. It was loosely based on the book by John Buchan. There was a connection to the chase, which escapes me at the moment.
05-12-2020, 10:40 PM,
(05-12-2020, 09:39 PM)legacyhelper Wrote: If your solution of the poem leads you to the river, but provides no further guidance, then where do you go from there? Do you look in the water? Do you consider crossing the river? Do you stay closely alongside it while moving upstream or downstream? This solution isn't very specific, unless your path/trail to the river is narrowly defined. In this case, it would seem logical to go to the river, and look only very closely nearby, hoping to see the chest -- or perhaps a dark/black(ish) flat stone to
place.
I don’t think the poem says “skip to the river.” It says “from there it’s no place for the meek.”

What did he say about the blaze? (Paraphrasing) You can’t start in the middle of the poem and find the blaze. It would be a miracle if you did. I mean there’s people driving down the road lookin for a blaze.
05-14-2020, 05:06 PM,
Thinking of some "special" or "symbolic" place where just "a few steps" are -- or have been -- (historically or traditionally) taken, here are a few possible venues for this.

At a funeral (where the pall bearers don't carry the coffin very far);

On the moon (where Neil Armstrong talked about a "small step for a man" and didn't take a long walk);

At a wedding (where the main participants walk "down the aisle");

At the site of an execution (where the condemned person walks to the execution device).
05-14-2020, 05:11 PM,
(05-12-2020, 10:40 PM)crazyfamily Wrote:
(05-12-2020, 09:39 PM)legacyhelper Wrote: If your solution of the poem leads you to the river, but provides no further guidance, then where do you go from there? Do you look in the water? Do you consider crossing the river? Do you stay closely alongside it while moving upstream or downstream? This solution isn't very specific, unless your path/trail to the river is narrowly defined. In this case, it would seem logical to go to the river, and look only very closely nearby, hoping to see the chest -- or perhaps a dark/black(ish) flat stone to
place.
I don’t think the poem says “skip to the river.” It says “from there it’s no place for the meek.”

What did he say about the blaze? (Paraphrasing) You can’t start in the middle of the poem and find the blaze. It would be a miracle if you did. I mean there’s people driving down the road lookin for a blaze.

Good one (miracle).
05-15-2020, 06:40 PM,
Step 1 - Find WWWH
Step 2 - Find the canyon down
Step 3 - Find where no place for the meek

But the final "steps" are probably the "being flexible" part. I believe within 12' statement means elevation. You won't really know until you are in the proper area. It may be adjusting a line on your map of the area for the proper blaze and that 12' elevation change tying in with hints and clues. GE will be good for this adjusting when you are in your area.
just saying ss
05-15-2020, 10:26 PM,
(05-12-2020, 09:39 PM)legacyhelper Wrote: Although this phrase is not one that I have seen many, many times, I
think it may be significant in qualifying a prospective search location.

Please consider a natural feature such as a river. If your solution of the poem leads you to the river, but provides no further guidance, then where do you go from there? Do you look in the water? Do you consider crossing the river? Do you stay closely alongside it while moving upstream or downstream? This solution isn't very specific, unless your path/trail to the river is narrowly defined. In this case, it would seem logical to go to the river, and look only very closely nearby, hoping to see the chest -- or perhaps a dark/black(ish) flat stone to
place.

What I'm trying to convey/explain is that the poem, if it can actually lead a searcher to a place within a few steps of the treasure, should be extremely specific and (to borrow a word) "focused". I believe that a correct/valid solve should have the searcher finding/seeing something that is not only specific and well-defined regarding where its edges/
borders are, but relatively small, in order to define a logical and reasonable search area that is, in turn, also relatively small.

When I think of "a few steps", I don't imagine a distance of 100 feet or
more. I think more like about 20 feet or less. So following the poem's directions validly should, in my opinion, bring one within about 20 feet
of the hidey place. And should also "stop" one at that location, rather
than having the searcher continue walking/hiking past the trove, still
looking for the hidey place.

I have been looking for some important significance in the phrase "a few
steps",

@ legacy great post I will provide some insight to the conundrum to these questions you have, they have bewildered myself for awhile but it all boils down to the HOB if you knew where it was you could go right to it this is why NO ONE has found it! which answers your few feet question! (Think about it)

As for what your looking for when you get there I'm gonna give everyone a hint to why a few searchers have walk right by it and havn't found it. I believe the canyon is big for one reason but the other reason and answer lies In the chapter Jump starting the learning curve if you can figure out this hint it tells you what you'll be doing when you get there! (not an easy hint to figure out but will have to use imagination)

p.s Now everyone can't ever say i havn't given you guys anything lol!
and everyone at the same time says HUH? it's ok I expect that reaction all of fenns clues are very difficult to understand it's ok if you don't get it, it took me 7 years to realize this one! Good luck! feeling benevolent today! But great questions legacy!
05-16-2020, 01:29 AM,
(05-12-2020, 10:05 PM)Beavertooth Wrote: There was a mention of the book and movie titled "The 39 Steps" in the forum. The movie was directed by Alfred Hitchcock. It was loosely based on the book by John Buchan. There was a connection to the chase, which escapes me at the moment.

I recently re-read parts of The Catcher in the Rye, and in there saw mention of "The 39 Steps", as well as some discussion about ducks (which I tink is remarkable but not at all surprising, all things considered).
And, of course, the name of the female prostitute seemed mildly interesting. She said "Like fun", which seems to play into the idea I keep
seeing (from FF) that the chase is supposed to be fun. (Like enjoyable, one might suppose.)
05-16-2020, 04:19 PM,
I think I know where the treasure is brown mountain mine ,colorado

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
05-18-2020, 04:13 PM,
Although "within a few steps" may be valid, I remember that the idea appears as an ATF tidbit of information/opinion, and is not in the poem (as published). So the idea should perhaps be taken with a grain of salt . . . or, at least, not be relied upon too much when solving the poem.

I have a favorite small location to carefully search, per my solve of the poem. This location goes well with the idea of "within a few steps", particularly as phrased -- involving symbolic applicability. But I also have some other small locations to carefully search, to which the "within a few steps", particularly as phrased, seem less symbolically applicable. Fortunately, all of these small locations are fairly close to one another. Whew.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First steps Golddustpeak 15 8,074 10-26-2016, 12:29 PM
Last Post: RahRah
  Ricky's six basic steps will197532 12 7,198 01-09-2016, 12:01 PM
Last Post: Mindy