Not logged in. Login - Register

All new registrations need to be approved manually. After registration, mail me at tyblossom at aol dot com.
ChaseChat is available for Smartphones via Tapatalk, Download the app at http://tapatalk.com/m?id=4&referer=1048173. After installing CLICK HERE to add the forum to Tapatalk.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BT's Solve- Part 4
06-27-2020, 06:05 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-30-2020, 05:32 PM by Beavertooth.)
BT's Solve- Part 4
BT Solve = Part 4

I provided the solve for Clue #9 in Part 3. I jumped to the end (didn't want to bury the lead!), because my eye surgeries made it extremely difficult to type for a while.

I know this entire solve, including Clue #9, is probably incorrect, because I have searched the area several times. But I wanted to get it out there for a number of reasons. I will be posting a revised solve shortly that starts with the same first few clues, but results in a substantially different location, and incorporates more astronomy. Stay tuned for that.

In the meantime, I am providing here the intervening clues omitted from Parts 2 and 3.

Part 1 identified poem lines that pointed to Yellowstone as the general location. Here is a revised set:

1) "As I have gone alone in there" -- I had done a two-line anagram pointing to Osborne Russell's "Journal of a Trapper" chapter that described the Lamar Valley of Yellowstone as a Garden of Eden. But that's using a hint from TTOTC. I may not be allowed to do that. Smile

2)" And with my treasures bold" could mean Yellowstone even more than the treasure state of Montana. Yellowstone's treasures are very bold = geysers, bison, grizzlies, wolves, waterfalls, at least one very bold canyon, etc. From above (like with Google Earth) the geyser areas and thermal pools and colorful bacteria mats are incredibly bold, with significant white and colored splotches amidst the forested areas.

3) "hint of riches"= sounds like "in tuff ridges" (using a missing "d") which are associated with volcanoes and volcanic craters (Yellowstone is a supervolcano).
"new and old" -- Tuff ridges can be new and old (Yellowstone has had three major eruptions in the past 2.5 million years or so, the most recent was 700,000 years ago, which is new in geologic timeframes). Or the tuff ridges are all old, and the animals and a few of the geysers are new.

4) "home of Brown" is from the cowboy song "Home on the Range" lyric -"Oh give me a home where the Buffalo roam", which represents Yellowstone.

5)"But tarry scant" sounds like "buttery scant", which means "yellow stone"

6)"with marvel gaze" represents:
-- geyser gazers (it's a real thing)
-- star gazers

Also from "Home on the Range":
"How often at night when the heavens are bright,
With the light from the glittering stars,
Have I stood there amazed and asked as I gazed,
If their glory exceeds that of ours"

7)"So why is it that I must go" represents WY, or Wyoming.

Summarizing Part 2:

At least 20 lines of the poem support "Kepler" Also many of Forrest's favorite words outside the poem, including focus, tangent, signs, turn over a log, olive jar, triangles, ball of string, aberration, and mismatched dates, are fully explained by using Kepler.

(see Part 2 https://www.chasechat.com/showthread.php?tid=13108)

-- WWWH is the weir at the top of Kepler Cascades. ("I can keep my secret where" sounds like secret weir)

-- "it" is the water pipe that the warm waters "halt and take it in the canyon down"

-- "too far to walk" relates to you can't walk thrugh a water pipe or ride a horse through a narrowing canyon full of water (TTOTC -- ooops, I used another hint); also, a rare synonym for walk is "vault", which rhymes with halt, but would make the cistern too obvious.

-- "Put in below" are warm waters being put into the cistern shown on maps on a hill above Old Faithful

-- "home of Brown" is home of Buffalo (Bison), derived from the cowboy song "Home on the Range"

-- "Oh give me a home, where the Buffalo roam"

-- the cistern is underneath Yellowstone, the home of Brown

-- "it's no place for the meek" is "snow place for the meek", or the more modern Snow Lodge

-- Snow Lodge is nearby along a tangent line drawn from the cistern to Old Faithful

-- "ever drawing nigh" could be either Old Faithful Geyser or Daisy Geyser, whose eruptions are regular enough to be forecast by the rangers and "waited for" by tourists (time of eruption drawing nigh or near) -- for simplicity, let's assume Old Faithful. A hint in TTOTC is when Forrest lamented about their "faithful old car" that was traded in.
(I also like Daisy because of the connection to "The Great Gatsby", the fact that daisy means star flower, Daisy Geyser has a secondary geyser called Daisy's Thief Geyser, which could relate to a story in TTOTC, etc., but we will use Daisy for something else later)

I count the above as the first four clues.

Clues 5-8

To understand a key to the next few clues, we must go back to the first line of the poem:
"As I have gone alone in there"

The simplest meaning for this phrase (drumroll please!) is in "how" he went alone in there. "As I have gone" = how he went.

There are two interesting possibilities: he used a bicycle, or he used an airplane (later in life). During his youth, his dad or brother would have been driving the family car, so he would not have been alone. Generally speaking, he would not have been walking (the distances are too far).

For this exercise, let's assume a bicycle. With a bicycle, he could get into the park early and beat the tourists and other fishermen. In his day, there were probably not a lot of rules about where bicycles could and could not go. Today (and in 2010) there are a lot of rules, and we have to follow the rules if we are going in there as he did (ie, with a bike). Bicycles are only authorized on certain trails, and are not allowed on boardwalks within Yellowstone. Keep that in mind, because it constrains our path.

The first stanza also talks about treasures bold. For Yellowstone, these would be the animals, the geysers (and related pools and other water features), the big waterfalls at the Yellowstone Canyon, and perhaps the stars, which are quite visible. We will focus on geyser/water features for this solve.

Clue 5
"There'll be no paddle up your creek,
Just heavy loads and water high."

Like many, I choose Iron Spring Creek. Iron Spring for heavy loads, and Fern Falls (on one branch of Iron Spring) for water high. I have a couple of reasons for Fern Falls (including fiddlehead fern), but they're not important here.

I have missplaced my notes, but one of the Fenn family cars in TTOTC had an important design change related to leaf springs (either a new use of leaf springs and/or specially modified iron for the springs).

The Firehole River can be ruled out as the creek -- there is a very large "paddle" that is part of the weir at Kepler Cascades.

Clue 6
"If you've been wise and found the blaze,
Look quickly down your quest to cease,

Once you leave Old Faithful (on a bike), you can head north two ways: 1) on a paved bike path, to an unpaved bike path, to the main road, or 2) on the main road that travels along Iron Spring Creek. Since we picked the Creek, let's go by the this route.

We are looking for a blaze. If we've been wise, we might be sage (a couple of sage or sagebrush comments in TTOTC and the spice sage in scrapbooks). In our case, we have previously identified Artemisia Geyser as the missplaced blaze on USGS maps (see Part 2) because it is marked incorrectly exactly where the cistern is located. Artemisia is the latin name for sagebrush, and Artemisia Geyser was named because the color of the water resembled sagebrush. As we ride along the main road northwards, we come to Biscuit Basin parking lot on the left, and on the right is the sign for the Artemisia trail back to Artemisia Geyser. This is our real-world blaze. But this part of the trail does not allow bicycles!

So we backtrack just a little southwards on the main road, and find a bicycle friendly trail on the other side of the Firehole River that follows the river southeast. ("Look quickly down") From that trail, you can see geyser action and major water outflows from Artemisia (across the river) when it erupts.

In her diary on September 3, 1906, Abby Williams Hill wrote about the Artemisia Geyser Pool, “I have been sketching the Artemisia. We thought it would play, but there was almost no movement of water. There is a small geyser on the formation below it. Ione [Hill’s daughter] and I went to look at it and judging it would soon play, stood to watch it. There came a jarring of the earth and a thumping under our feet. Looking up we saw a ridge of water moving down over the hill towards us as if all the water in the Artemisia had been raised and pushed off over the hill. We ran with all our might, jumped the little gully and climbed the hill where we sat down, but the thumping was so great we ran further. By this time, the water was agitated and soon a great mass was raised a hundred feet, rivers of boiling water poured out. The steam shut off a view of everything else and it was as if we were looking at an eruption in the ocean. The vibration and thumping continued with increased and startling force. It seemed as if a new crater was about to yawn under us.”

Now that we have seen Artemisia, our quest for the blaze (but not our quest for the treasure) can cease. We have found it and used it to first find the cistern below the home of Brown, and then used it to define our path for the final clues.

Clue 7
But tarry scant with marvel gaze,
Just take the chest and go in peace."

Continuing along the bicycle path heading further southward ("backwards" in a sense!!), we come to the Daisy Geyser Group and (possibly) turn west along the bike path (perhaps an unnecessary sidetrip). After a little way, we reach the Punch Bowl Spring. Here we can "But tarry scant". "But" = abut. "tarry scant" = Black Sand (Basin/Pool). The path continues, but not for bicycles, so we turn around and pass by Daisy Geyser again "with marvel gaze". (Note: You can conclude that the Daisy Geyser Group abuts the Black Sand Basin area on its own, and skip the side trip).

"Situated on a hill, Daisy can be seen from much of the Upper Geyser Basin. It is always spectacular. .. Other geysers might be higher, more sharply angled, longer lasting, of greater volume, and so on, but somehow Daisy is a particularly special sight."

Of course, Daisy is a main character in The Great Gatsby, and Daisy's Thief Geyser is hinted at by the thief in TTOTC.

At Daisy, the bike path connects back up with the paved bike path (the Old Road of Yellowstone prior to 1972) and you head north. Very shortly, you reach Grotto Geyser. Grotto is my candidate for "take the chest and go in peace". "Taking the chest" and "going in peace" refers here to dying and being put in a coffin or casket and being entombed, in this case in a grotto (synonym = crypt).

Also, Grotto Geyser is misshapen, apparently due to tree stumps and trunks being covered over by geyser deposits ("entombed").

Clue 8
So why is it that I must go
And leave my trove for all to seek?
The answer I already know,
I've done it tired, and now I'm weak.

As you continue north, the paved bike path crosses back over the Firehole at a "footbridge", not too far from the Grotto/crypt. The bicycles-allowed portion of the path ends at Morning Glory Pool. There are two "why's" at this location:

1) Why = wye, a railroad term for a section of trackage that allows a train to turn around. It looks sort of like a curved "Y" with a section of track across the top of the "Y", extending for a distance to either side of the Y. The train, for example, heads up the right hand side of the "Y" until the tail end of the train passes the top of the Y. The train then backs up across the top of the Y. After the front of the train has passed the top of the left-hand portion of the Y, the train starts down the left hand leg and is now going in the opposite direction. In this case, the bike path up to Morning Glory Pool goes left and right a short distance each way, allowing for a bicycle to be turned around in the same manner. This includes the bicycle going "backwards" for a short distance.

2) There are public bathrooms at this location, with a "Y" shaped path leading to them to the right of Morning Glory Pool. An "outhouse" as it were! So "Not associated with an outhouse" could have been a hint all along! But for Clue 8, not Clue 9. This one's for you, TS!

Remember, Forrest supposedly changed it to "not associated with a structure" for a national TV show because they didn't want him to use the word "outhouse".

I leave it to the reader to surmise what "trove" Forrest meant if you choose option 2 above. Smile

Morning Glory Pool represents "I've done it tired and now I'm weak". The morning glory plant was used by Aztecs and others to vulcanize rubber (related to tires) and Morning Glory Pool is now weak. It used to be a superstar feature of Yellowstone until tourists threw too much junk into it, including tires and coins. The main Yellowstone road (the "Old Road") used to go right by Morning Glory until 1972 (also related to tired). Forrest would have ridden right by it many times on a bicycle or in a car.

At this point, you must retrace your route to head back north towards Biscuit Basin and beyond to find Clue 9, which was discussed in BT's Solve - Part 3.

Summarizing Part 3 (Clue 9)

Across the street from Excelsior Geyser Crater is a hill known as Midway Bluff. I used the word Excelsior in several ways:
1) Longfellow, who is quoted in TTOTC ("footprints on the sands of time") wrote "Listen my children and you shall hear, About the midnight ride of Paul Revere"
== "So hear me all and listen good" -- show the poem to a child.
2) Excelsior poem by Longfellow (not about Paul Revere) represents "effort worth the cold" and "brave and in the wood"
3) Poem is about a youth climbing a mountain pass in the cold shouting Excelsior (he freezes to death)
4) Excelsior has an alternate meaning -- wood shavings for packing. The youth and/or St. Bernard dogs and monks in the poem are brave and in Excelsior = in the wood.
5) So you climb Midway Bluff to get a spectacular view of Grand Prismatic Spring (the end of your rainbow) and Excelsior Geyser Crater, as well as distant views of other geysers and the Firehole River. A great "special final place" for Forrest.
5) This area was also called Hell's Half Acre. A more famous Hell's Half Acre is between Shoshoni and Casper, where Forrest got out of the car and was left behind by his brother in TTOTC. Eli Levin inscribed his book to Forrest with "I gave you Hell".
6) At the top of Midway Bluff and off to one side is a tuff ridge that has eroded into columns that look like 2 adults and 3 children, standing next to a seated person reminiscent of Cassiopeia. Lots of good niches to hide a chest there. Especially the middle "child".

After you have been to all 9 clue locations, you have seen the top Yellowstone geyser/ hot springs from Forrest's youth (Old Faithful, Daisy, Grand Prismatic Spring, Morning Glory Pool, Artemisia, Excelsior) and many others -- "treasures bold", indeed!

But wait, there's more!

I mentioned there is a second way for Forrest to have gone alone into Yellowstone -- as a pilot. There is only one VFR (Visual Flight Rule) airplane path allowed through Yellowstone. It goes from the southwest of Yellowstone to the northeast. On the left side of Yellowstone (the primary geyser side), it crosses the main road in only one location -- Midway Bluff, my location for Clue 9. So that gives you an "X" on the map.

Where does that flight path end to the northeast? Lake Sakakawea in central North Dakota. Sakakawea is an alternate spelling for Sacagawea, who accompanied Lewis and Clark. Glenna Goodacre designed the Sacagawea "golden" dollar coin, with a bust of Sacagawea and her baby on the front of the coin.

My revised solve for this year's search will follow in a few days. It is better than this one.
06-28-2020, 06:55 PM,
RE: BT's Solve- Part 4
Great solve. Top 10. Love that it included all the great park features from Fenns childhood, and also put an actual X on the map.Worth the wait.....You going to work on The Gypsy Kiss hunt later this year , BT?
06-28-2020, 07:04 PM,
(06-28-2020, 06:55 PM)Seeker9 Wrote: Great solve. Top 10. Love that it included all the great park features from Fenns childhood, and also put an actual X on the map.Worth the wait.....You going to work on The Gypsy Kiss hunt later this year , BT?

No more treasure hunts for me. I don't need the money, and I'm getting too old for it.
06-28-2020, 07:17 PM,
Its about the prestige mainly, the money is the cherry on top, BT. This will be a solvable hunt, and Toby said he expects it to go no longer than a year.
06-28-2020, 07:41 PM,
(06-28-2020, 07:17 PM)Seeker9 Wrote: Its about the prestige mainly, the money is the cherry on top, BT. This will be a solvable hunt, and Toby said he expects it to go no longer than a year.

Good luck with it Seeker9. At least you will be able to start out even with everyone. Gentlemen, start your engines! Danica, you can start yours, too.

Smile
06-30-2020, 04:48 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-30-2020, 04:49 PM by Seeker9.)
BT, did you ever search around the otter creek area? The bear feeding platform, where FF said his mother liked to go watch the bears feed is in that area. Just curious......BT, on a side note, I think your solve was impressive, and I just know you could win Tobys treasure hunt.

Lol @Danica Smile
06-30-2020, 05:36 PM,
(06-30-2020, 04:48 PM)Seeker9 Wrote: BT, did you ever search around the otter creek area? The bear feeding platform, where FF said his mother liked to go watch the bears feed is in that area. Just curious....

Nope.
06-30-2020, 07:18 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-30-2020, 07:18 PM by Seeker9.)
Bummer. Forrest wrote once or twice about watching the bears eat. They fed the bears in two spots. Old faithful, and Canyon. The Otter creek platform looks interesting, because of the dirt. It looks like treasure chest dirt Smile and there are some very lush meadows around that area...Listened to about a 40 minute interview with the gentleman who fed the bears.His name is, Henry August "Hank" Rahn. He said that Prez Ford would sometimes go with and help him. He said he would paint a stripe on the back of a bear at Canyon, and the next day that same bear would show up at old faithful. Thats 50 air miles.Very neat interview with this guy, talking about old times in the park.
06-30-2020, 07:22 PM,
(06-30-2020, 07:18 PM)Seeker9 Wrote: Bummer. Forrest wrote once or twice about watching the bears eat. They fed the bears in two spots. Old faithful, and Canyon. The Otter creek platform looks interesting, because of the dirt. It looks like treasure chest dirt Smile and there are some very lush meadows around that area...Listened to about a 40 minute interview with the gentleman who fed the bears.His name is, Henry August "Hank" Rahn. He said that Prez Ford would sometimes go with and help him. He said he would paint a stripe on the back of a bear at Canyon, and the next day that same bear would show up at old faithful. Thats 50 air miles.Very neat interview with this guy, talking about old times in the park.

I have posted here before about how fast bears can travel. Gave an anecdote about a bear I saw that moved and changed direction like "greased lightning". That was an education, for sure.
06-30-2020, 07:30 PM,
@Beavertooth - I do NOT know anything about those places or even where Yellowstone is, ... but I really give you kudos for your theory about the train WYE. It's a very difficult thing to explain, although you have done a superb job. That's how I found the video of FF in CO.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BT's Solve - Part 3 Beavertooth 10 853 06-23-2020, 06:51 PM
Last Post: Dr. Coffee
  part two of the solve- clues number 2 onwards mrmagicarovrumrebel 0 235 06-23-2020, 06:47 AM
Last Post: mrmagicarovrumrebel
  BT's Solve - Part 2 Beavertooth 11 1,203 06-21-2020, 05:07 PM
Last Post: Beavertooth
  Jimmy Buffett solve part 1 and 2 (do you see the shark in FF signature? CLynn 6 625 06-21-2020, 04:57 PM
Last Post: CLynn
  BT's Solve - Part 1 Beavertooth 2 496 06-08-2020, 08:23 AM
Last Post: Beavertooth