Not logged in. Login - Register

All new registrations need to be approved manually. After registration, mail me at tyblossom at aol dot com.
ChaseChat is available for Smartphones via Tapatalk, Download the app at http://tapatalk.com/m?id=4&referer=1048173. After installing CLICK HERE to add the forum to Tapatalk.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How much have you spent
06-28-2020, 09:36 AM,
How much have you spent
Curious if anyone has an estimate of what they spent on searching.

If you estimate your hours...let's say you researched 8 hours a day for 5 days a week at minimum wage. Let's say minimum wage is NM's $7.50 an hour.

Then you add up your expenses

travel ie: gas, car rental, airfare
lodging

We won't add tools of the trade like metal detectors or wear and tear on transportation of your own.

Not sure what else could be added. I don't know that I could figure this out. The number would be so high because of the amount of travel. I would drive from Illinois out west sometimes once a week. I needed to care for my dad and Jeff had to go back to work. I'm sure over say 9 years of active searching it's in the hundreds of thousands.
© Stephanie
06-28-2020, 09:40 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-28-2020, 12:48 PM by question.)
RE: How much have you spent
8 BOTG over a period of 4 years from Back East. About 2K per trip, so about 20 grand total.

I never needed the money but it was a fun challenge to crack it. There was never any urgency to get it because the solution is so satisfying, and yes Fenn did write a masterpiece.
06-28-2020, 10:06 AM,
It doesnt matter how much I spent.
I accomplished what I set out to do.

Fenn told us to "Grab every banana", so I did.
06-28-2020, 10:07 AM,
Hmmm

3 flights from bank East on points
9 flights (paid for friend who went!) $3000
6 Fairfield in nights ABQ $600
Solve location hotel $2400
Home Depot $150
6 rental cars $900
1 cowgirl hat at hat shop in Sante Fe $400 (so fun)
Meeting Sante Fe Mayor at hat shop- Priceless!
Knowing which weirdo friends of mine would accompany me? Priceless!

I’m
Probably around 8k
06-28-2020, 10:10 AM,
No idea. We were homeless 400 days in the mountains out of 2 years looking for it. If we'd a died, it likely would've been with less than 50 bucks any given day. We played guitar and sang our way through. I found meteorites and found 3 gold claims & eventually it got better.
06-28-2020, 10:59 AM,
We didn't fare too awful monetarily wise being that we live in New Mexico and this our solve state. (No rental cars, no lodging,etc...) With gas, equipment and things we purchased that we otherwise would not have, at 8 trips to our location we sunk maybe $2000

But, the price on my mental state cannot be calculated. Since we had to be back for our jobs, we had to get up and start driving at midnight on empty unlit roads, nerves on edge, 6 hours to the location. Frantic searches only to get back in the car and drive 6 hours back in a state of depression along with much reevaluation going on as we drove. Of course we were planning the next trip up because we didn't look 300 yards to the left near that odd rock that we only remembered about now. Returned home completely worn out and dejected. I am sure you can all relate. It was brutal. Roller coaster of emotions, the scars still linger to this day.
06-28-2020, 11:23 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-28-2020, 11:23 AM by admin.)
(06-28-2020, 11:06 AM)WyMustIGo Wrote: I never calculated my hours, but I've been searching since late 2014.

I live in FL, so I could not go BOTG much. I went out four times and it cost me about $3,000

In early 2017 I picked up a partner that lives in my search state (WY). He was BOTG probably 20-25 times, and spent maybe $1,500 in gas and other things.

In 2016 I was teamed with SamSmith/Timebandit, but we came to a disagreement in 2017 because he thought there was only one word that is key: treasures. I discovered that there were two keys, treasure + another word. So we parted ways on good terms.

In FEB 2020 Sam contacted me again. He needed help because he is on oxygen and cannot travel, he knew I had a partner, and we already worked together once before. So we teamed up again, Sam+Me+Our WY partner. Sam did more work, so we decided this was our last year on the chase and it was ALL IN at the wheel.

So I guess we can add Sam's time. He started in 2013 about the same time ChaseChat opened. So there is another 7 years, and Sam and his wife spent a few days (week?) camped up at Porcupine falls as they investigated the wheel. Not sure how much he spent.

Basically our total team years is roughly 15 years.

Our last BOTG was the week of June 6th, 2020. It was special for me because I turned 58 in May, and on 6/6 it was my 39th wedding anniversary.

I think the keyword is HOME(as in home of Brown)...get it...KEY and HOME. I'm sure he thought that was witty....

Oh and I remember Sam.....
© Stephanie
06-28-2020, 11:25 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-28-2020, 11:28 AM by Deano.)
I can see why passions run high given the amount of time and effort you guys have put in. The only costs I have incurred are the book, and, I suppose, a couple hundred hours thinking time. I live in the UK so google maps was my friend.

Did anybody seek out legal advice before going botg with their confident solves? I can see why you would contact Fenn if you found the chest, if for nothing more than he had that knowledge.

Imagine if I had found it, I can't imagine where I'd stand legally. My carry on luggage would be interesting.
06-28-2020, 11:28 AM,
All my time spent on chase was deemed an over all plus for me. So I don’t count those hours as it was time well spent. The only time wasted was reading anything from Seannnm mDavis kpro nmc and lurker Mike. I made up for that lost time by applying chase justice.
06-28-2020, 12:07 PM,
(06-28-2020, 11:23 AM)admin Wrote:
(06-28-2020, 11:06 AM)WyMustIGo Wrote: I never calculated my hours, but I've been searching since late 2014.

I live in FL, so I could not go BOTG much. I went out four times and it cost me about $3,000

In early 2017 I picked up a partner that lives in my search state (WY). He was BOTG probably 20-25 times, and spent maybe $1,500 in gas and other things.

In 2016 I was teamed with SamSmith/Timebandit, but we came to a disagreement in 2017 because he thought there was only one word that is key: treasures. I discovered that there were two keys, treasure + another word. So we parted ways on good terms.

In FEB 2020 Sam contacted me again. He needed help because he is on oxygen and cannot travel, he knew I had a partner, and we already worked together once before. So we teamed up again, Sam+Me+Our WY partner. Sam did more work, so we decided this was our last year on the chase and it was ALL IN at the wheel.

So I guess we can add Sam's time. He started in 2013 about the same time ChaseChat opened. So there is another 7 years, and Sam and his wife spent a few days (week?) camped up at Porcupine falls as they investigated the wheel. Not sure how much he spent.

Basically our total team years is roughly 15 years.

Our last BOTG was the week of June 6th, 2020. It was special for me because I turned 58 in May, and on 6/6 it was my 39th wedding anniversary.

I think the keyword is HOME(as in home of Brown)...get it...KEY and HOME. I'm sure he thought that was witty....

Oh and I remember Sam.....

I have a question for you in my thread. I think you (and Dal) were the first to be close without knowing it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Forrest “spent lots of time (there)” astree 9 3,134 08-02-2018, 09:11 PM
Last Post: Becky from WV
  Does time spent make a difference? Shadetree 2 1,599 09-09-2017, 05:27 PM
Last Post: Shadetree
  The calendar says 3 weeks of my life has been spent here on this blog... :) Gordon Lightfoot 4 1,868 05-11-2017, 07:57 PM
Last Post: 5GIRLS
  Spent Chris 10 3,255 10-17-2014, 07:22 PM
Last Post: boomergirl