Not logged in. Login - Register

All new registrations need to be approved manually. After registration, mail me at tyblossom at aol dot com.
ChaseChat is available for Smartphones via Tapatalk, Download the app at http://tapatalk.com/m?id=4&referer=1048173. After installing CLICK HERE to add the forum to Tapatalk.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How much have you spent
06-28-2020, 12:45 PM,
RE: How much have you spent
8 trips
4 different search partners paying for their ticket to help me
Average $2000 per trip times 12 = $24000 total

thousands of hours

I went solo by myself boxing day December 26th and left my 18 month old daughter at home whilst I was alone up there in Minus 15'C temperatures

Even if Forrest pulled it, I am not bitter......anyone who searches for something like this needs to accept the fact that they may be unsuccessful, they may lose, it may get pulled, someone may beat them to it, it may never have been hidden

There was no contract....the chase is about what YOU believe. and beliefs arent facts...they are little more than a hunch about several factors

It is what it is
06-28-2020, 03:35 PM,
All our trips would have been made anyway. Biggest expense was Fennboree I at Desertphile's - I bought a tent & air mattress (that wouldn't fit in the tent), and we did OK there finding the faux fenn treasure. Time? Maybe 1500 hours here on ChaseChat since 2013.
06-28-2020, 05:49 PM,
(06-28-2020, 09:36 AM)admin Wrote: Curious if anyone has an estimate of what they spent on searching.

If you estimate your hours...let's say you researched 8 hours a day for 5 days a week at minimum wage. Let's say minimum wage is NM's $7.50 an hour.

Then you add up your expenses

travel ie: gas, car rental, airfare
lodging

We won't add tools of the trade like metal detectors or wear and tear on transportation of your own.

Not sure what else could be added. I don't know that I could figure this out. The number would be so high because of the amount of travel. I would drive from Illinois out west sometimes once a week. I needed to care for my dad and Jeff had to go back to work. I'm sure over say 9 years of active searching it's in the hundreds of thousands.

You may have the record (hundreds of thousands). Maybe it deserves to be part of recorded history. If so, congratulations.

In contrast, I spent about 350 hours working on my solve. But I'm not
assigning any "value" (per hour or otherwise), because it didn't provide
value to anyone, or add value to a product. My direct monetary cost for search trips (not assigning any "value" or "cost" to my time) was about $6500 over a span of about 4 years. Oh, and I am not a registered
sex offender. I have never offended sex. I only offend people.
06-28-2020, 06:16 PM,
(06-28-2020, 05:49 PM)legacyhelper Wrote: I spent about 350 hours working on my solve. But I'm not
assigning any "value" (per hour or otherwise), because it didn't provide
value to anyone, or add value to a product.

I admire your honesty! It's okay, we all learn and get better. Maybe next time it will have value! Cheer up! All is not lost!

BTW, I can honestly say that I think Stephanie put a lot of effort into the chase. Why be condesending towards her?
06-28-2020, 06:23 PM,
Probaly around eight to nine hundo in cold hard cash, which is a handaome sum for me. Have no idea how many hours spent in total. Much like golf, The Chase was work without toil, intoxication without the hangover, stimulation without the pills.
06-28-2020, 07:11 PM,
I spent $3,650 for gas, car rental, motel and books.
I purchased an old 4WD specifically for the Chase. We have five cars and one SUV; but needed a 4WD for location. I still have the truck and it is nice for hauling for the small farm-let. The cost was $2,400. I had an accident driving on interstate and blew out tire and damaged another hitting rebars at construction site. The 10 ply tires were $690. The roadway into search area was very bad; an accident tearing the tire strut from the frame cost $3,300 in NM. Front end work was $1,300 upon return home. So 4WD truck cost total was $7,700 but it is now all paid in full.
The fun part is the fictional cost of our time; I obsessed about this Chase first year July 2018-August 2018. I have been on CC 720 hours and have logged about 2,160 hours thinking. BOTG was 10 weeks with about 10 hour per day which is about 700 hours. The fictional paycheck should be $26,850.
But I did not receive nor spend this amount for my time. I actually had fun most of the time; the scenery and fresh air (and hailstorms) were stimulating. And I lost 30 pounds.
just saying ss
06-28-2020, 08:29 PM,
1 BOTG in early June 2017, I think I spent around $200. I was already visiting Boise when I did my BOTG in Yellowstone.

I drove through the late afternoon and night to West Yellowstone, parked at the town park & slept in the back of my rental car, washed up in the park restroom in the morning, bought a jug of water & some food early the next morning at the little grocery store, entered Yellowstone and went to where my solve took me.

I had two sturdy sticks for stability and waded deep into the river. But I just couldn't make it the last four feet across because it got too deep and treacherous. I thought about offering to pay one of the nearby tall fishermen to carry me across on their back. LOL (not really...). I was so frustrated. I resolved to come back in late summer when the river wasn't so swollen from spring snow melt.

But then after reflecting on the drive back, I realized that I was being overly fixated on my solve site & probably overestimating my Fenn poem-solving abilities. He seems to like tossing out red herrings (IMO), and there are soooo many places that can fit the lines in the poem.

And not to get too "woo-woo," but I felt that if it'd been meant to be, then I would have been able to cross that last four feet of river that day and make it across to find the chest in the small area of woods where I thought it was waiting. But realistically and statistically, it almost certainly was not there, I realized...So I should not keep throwing time, energy and money at something that is probably not where I would have liked to believe it was.

Gas: $100
Lodging: $0
Food: $20
Yellowstone entrance: $25
Hip waders: $50

So around $200 for my one and only BOTG
06-28-2020, 09:00 PM,
All expenses got folded into my usual wilderness forays, so I dont see it as an extra expense. And I had FUN! In fact, I'm still having fun with the trailcams and videos, not to mention all of the OTHER trails to hike in this wilderness area. My friends are waiting for the weather to cool off so we can head out together and I can show them some of the other stuff I discovered in this area.
06-29-2020, 03:48 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-29-2020, 03:51 PM by knighterrant.)
It's not beyond the realm of imagination to guesstimate (conservatively) that around half a billion dollars was spent by searchers over the run of this puppy. That is just straight costs, not accounting for the value of lost opportunity and time people spent searching instead of engaging in materially productive activities.

Since everything is very hush-hush, I'd like to be the one to extend a hearty congratulations to the brave searchers and a very sincere thank you to the community for their participation and most importantly their $$$ on behalf of:

The Forrest Fenn Estate
Collected Works Bookstore
Moby Dickens
The Today Show
Douglas Preston
Art Dealers Association of America
The City of Sante Fe
The City of Taos
The State of New Mexico
The State of Montana (no chance it was here but we got some $$ anyway)
The State of Wyoming (see above)
The Friends of the Little Popo Agie River
The State of Colorado
The City of Silverton
Durango and Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad
Cumbres and Toltec Scenic Railroad
The Town of West Yellowstone
The National Park Service
The Denver Museum of Nature and Science
United States Air Force Academy
Buffalo Bill Center of the West
The City of Cody
Old Wood LLC
The Vietnam Veteran's Memorial at Angelfire
The Boy Scouts of America
The Presbyterian Church
Bode's General Store
Amazon, Ebay, Etsy et al
Motel 8, Motel 6, Motel 3.14..etc.
Bass Pro Shops, Big 5, Walmart, Dicks Sporting Goods, Cabelas, REI, Home Depot
Chevron, Royal Dutch Shell, ExxonMobil, BP, Citgo, Circle-K, Quiktrip, Love's, Flying-J, Bucc-ees
American, Delta, United, Southwest, JetBlue, Alaska Airlines, etc.
Tapatalk, Google, Adobe Photoshop
American BAR Association

Let me know who I overlooked, don't want to leave anyone out.

Thank you for your business, we appreciate you!!! *

* The preceding post should be read for entertainment only, and the writer (sic) is in no way claiming to speak for, or to be a representative of, the absolutely guileless and upstanding people, organizations, corporations, and other entities mentioned herein.

06-30-2020, 09:38 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-30-2020, 01:46 PM by fabjr71.)
Total time invested: 2555 hours x minimum wage ($7.50) = $19,162

Travel Time = 6 weeks = 144 hours x 7.50 = $1080

Expenses: $9500.00

Grand Total: $29,742.00 on the conservative side.

The Thrill of the Chase: Priceless!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Forrest “spent lots of time (there)” astree 9 3,099 08-02-2018, 09:11 PM
Last Post: Becky from WV
  Does time spent make a difference? Shadetree 2 1,589 09-09-2017, 05:27 PM
Last Post: Shadetree
  The calendar says 3 weeks of my life has been spent here on this blog... :) Gordon Lightfoot 4 1,846 05-11-2017, 07:57 PM
Last Post: 5GIRLS
  Spent Chris 10 3,247 10-17-2014, 07:22 PM
Last Post: boomergirl