Not logged in. Login - Register

All new registrations need to be approved manually. After registration, mail me at tyblossom at aol dot com.
ChaseChat is available for Smartphones via Tapatalk, Download the app at http://tapatalk.com/m?id=4&referer=1048173. After installing CLICK HERE to add the forum to Tapatalk.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Places To Die
09-24-2020, 05:14 PM,
Places To Die
The Finder's story is a standalone -- no need to solve the 9 clues or ever admit to knowing any of the the clues. He/she simply figured out where Forrest wanted to die, and only searched there, without the benefit of reverse engineering the poem (or at least admitting to it). There is incredible hubris in claiming to know the place, and incredible persistence and "faith" to search 25 days in the same place. Completely beyond reason in my view.

Any experts out there on Journal of a Trapper? Years ago I pinned down a couple of places that Osborne Russell identified that might have intrigued Forrest to visit, and then possibly select as a place to die. But they were way too far to carry the treasure and chest in two trips in an afternoon, so I dismissed them.

There is a place in New Mexico that was high on my list to search because it represented an interesting place to die and was indirectly related to that lady friend of Forrest's that told one of the women searchers she knew where he wanted to die. It was also very near a "Y" (why is it that I must go). I never got around to search there, and moved on to Yellowstone. I was going to ask John Brown to search there for me this season, but got preempted. I guess that saved me a few cases of beer. Smile

My Midway Bluff solve in Yellowstone is a beautiful place to die. The views are spectacular, and there are some niches in the tuff cliffs that could have been used.

There may be something along the route of the Nez Perce as they traveled through Yellowstone, or even just outside Yellowstone. I think Forrest admired Chief Joseph and the Nez Perce. The area just east of the Nez Perce Ford on the Yellowstone is a possible candidate. Primarily because in Forrest's vernacular it is a "red (man's) ford" or a Redford, who wrote The Outlaw Trail, A Journey in Time. This is one of the key aberrations in Important Literature. Fishermen could easily be within 200 or 500 feet of a hidden chest. So this site has fishing, the river, and animals, plus native American history to make it an attractive candidate. Note that knowledge of history is not too important since the geologically named feature is there for the ages.

Somewhere near the top of Mt. Washburn (10,243 feet high) in Yellowstone is also a candidate.
(https://www.nps.gov/experiences/mountwashburn.htm)
Tourist trails approach it from both the north and south and have good parking. You are allowed to use a bicycle along one of the trails. Views here are also spectacular. There are two webcams there operated by the NPS, but doubtful they would be useful to determine whether the chest was there or taken. (https://www.yellowstone.co/mountwashburnwebcam.htm)
But you can't beat the views, and there are trees nearby within 500 feet of the tourists.

The second reason for the Mt. Washburn area is that it is consistent with "As I have gone alone in there". If you are a pilot flying alone across Yellowstone, there is only one flight path allowed for VFR (Visual Flight Rules) aircraft. That path crosses from southeast to northwest over mostly uninhabited, difficult-to-get-to areas. It crosses the Loop Road in two places, once at Midway Bluff in the southeast, and once at Canyon Junction just south of Dunraven Pass (ravens?) and Mt. Washburn in the northwest. It passes over the Mary Mountain Nez Perce Trail. (Marry a solve to a map). That particular VFR route winds up at Sacajawea Lake (spelled a little different-- Lake Sakakawea) on the Missouri River in North Dakota. In the old days, the Loop Road in Yellowstone was called Route 10 ("X").

I would be interested in other searcher's ideas of good places to die in Yellowstone or nearby.
09-24-2020, 05:19 PM,
RE: Places To Die
The place is popular, many people have figured it out. Some even put up a fake blaze. Mr. Finder was convinced he could prove the place of intended death. Let's start there. Not a "nice place to die" but the proof that he intended to die there
09-24-2020, 05:34 PM,
(09-24-2020, 05:19 PM)Top Secret Wrote: The place is popular, many people have figured it out. Some even put up a fake blaze. Mr. Finder was convinced he could prove the place of intended death. Let's start there. Not a "nice place to die" but the proof that he intended to die there

"Many people have figured it out." ????Spill!

There can be no proof. Except maybe in a will that says "scatter my ashes into Old Faithful".
09-24-2020, 05:51 PM,
I believe the Lakes Plateau area in Montana...

https://billingsgazette.com/lifestyles/r...6fe31.html
09-24-2020, 10:40 PM,
He mentions something about a reporter slipping up. Do you think this was related to his death site?

For a man who expressed anxiety about getting Alzheimer’s, he seemed to have found the perfect deterrent to cognitive decline — talking frequently and in guarded detail about a huge, closely-held secret to a cache of gold, yet never divulging it to the thousands of interested people inquiring. In a decade, he never made more than a couple of subtle slip-ups in front of all the dogged reporters who came to his house, and even those apparently haven’t been caught by anyone besides me.

The more I read this, the more suspicious I become. I am starting to wonder if FF wrote it.
09-25-2020, 01:27 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-25-2020, 01:28 AM by Beavertooth.)
(09-24-2020, 10:40 PM)ravenhome777 Wrote: The more I read this, the more suspicious I become. I am starting to wonder if FF wrote it.

I am just about convinced that he did.

(09-24-2020, 11:08 PM)crazyfamily Wrote: You just can’t pass up a conspiracy.

I love the smell of conspiracy in the morning!
Smile
09-28-2020, 04:05 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-28-2020, 04:08 PM by realistrealist.)
(09-24-2020, 05:14 PM)Beavertooth Wrote: The Finder's story is a standalone -- no need to solve the 9 clues or ever admit to knowing any of the the clues. He/she simply figured out where Forrest wanted to die, and only searched there, without the benefit of reverse engineering the poem (or at least admitting to it). There is incredible hubris in claiming to know the place, and incredible persistence and "faith" to search 25 days in the same place. Completely beyond reason in my view.

Any experts out there on Journal of a Trapper? Years ago I pinned down a couple of places that Osborne Russell identified that might have intrigued Forrest to visit, and then possibly select as a place to die. But they were way too far to carry the treasure and chest in two trips in an afternoon, so I dismissed them.

There is a place in New Mexico that was high on my list to search because it represented an interesting place to die and was indirectly related to that lady friend of Forrest's that told one of the women searchers she knew where he wanted to die. It was also very near a "Y" (why is it that I must go). I never got around to search there, and moved on to Yellowstone. I was going to ask John Brown to search there for me this season, but got preempted. I guess that saved me a few cases of beer. Smile

My Midway Bluff solve in Yellowstone is a beautiful place to die. The views are spectacular, and there are some niches in the tuff cliffs that could have been used.

There may be something along the route of the Nez Perce as they traveled through Yellowstone, or even just outside Yellowstone. I think Forrest admired Chief Joseph and the Nez Perce. The area just east of the Nez Perce Ford on the Yellowstone is a possible candidate. Primarily because in Forrest's vernacular it is a "red (man's) ford" or a Redford, who wrote The Outlaw Trail, A Journey in Time. This is one of the key aberrations in Important Literature. Fishermen could easily be within 200 or 500 feet of a hidden chest. So this site has fishing, the river, and animals, plus native American history to make it an attractive candidate. Note that knowledge of history is not too important since the geologically named feature is there for the ages.

Somewhere near the top of Mt. Washburn (10,243 feet high) in Yellowstone is also a candidate.
(https://www.nps.gov/experiences/mountwashburn.htm)
Tourist trails approach it from both the north and south and have good parking. You are allowed to use a bicycle along one of the trails. Views here are also spectacular. There are two webcams there operated by the NPS, but doubtful they would be useful to determine whether the chest was there or taken. (https://www.yellowstone.co/mountwashburnwebcam.htm)
But you can't beat the views, and there are trees nearby within 500 feet of the tourists.

The second reason for the Mt. Washburn area is that it is consistent with "As I have gone alone in there". If you are a pilot flying alone across Yellowstone, there is only one flight path allowed for VFR (Visual Flight Rules) aircraft. That path crosses from southeast to northwest over mostly uninhabited, difficult-to-get-to areas. It crosses the Loop Road in two places, once at Midway Bluff in the southeast, and once at Canyon Junction just south of Dunraven Pass (ravens?) and Mt. Washburn in the northwest. It passes over the Mary Mountain Nez Perce Trail. (Marry a solve to a map). That particular VFR route winds up at Sacajawea Lake (spelled a little different-- Lake Sakakawea) on the Missouri River in North Dakota. In the old days, the Loop Road in Yellowstone was called Route 10 ("X").

I would be interested in other searcher's ideas of good places to die in Yellowstone or nearby.

Osbourne Russell's secluded valley -> Lamar Valley

From the medium post and TTOTC -> Soda Butte Creek (Cold, refreshing waters babble of your life)

From the medium post and TTOTC -> The Thunderer (prayed to Thor) (In your place, the mountains rumble your name)

Same area - Amphitheater Mountain (Can I even try to shut them up? - Answer: No because they echo) (tangent reading - https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/echo-amphitheatre)
09-28-2020, 05:02 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-28-2020, 05:10 PM by question.)
(09-28-2020, 04:05 PM)realistrealist Wrote: Osbourne Russell's secluded valley -> Lamar Valley

From the medium post and TTOTC -> Soda Butte Creek (Cold, refreshing waters babble of your life)

From the medium post and TTOTC -> The Thunderer (prayed to Thor) (In your place, the mountains rumble your name)

Same area - Amphitheater Mountain (Can I even try to shut them up? - Answer: No because they echo) (tangent reading - https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/echo-amphitheatre)

Yes, my friend. That Route 212 corridor was hot, and the "Me in the Middle" chapter sealed that clue (Skippy 2 years older, Forrest in the middle (I=1), and June 2 years younger). 2-1-2.

I am convinced that you solved WWWH because it the only place in the world that fits perfectly.

Where Warm Waters Halt => Where Warm Water Salt

Warm Creek halting at Soda (Salt) Butte Creek.

Nobody will ever convince me of another WWWH. There are many other references to soda and salt throughout TTOTC.

And when I first read the quote about "you can see animals", I automatically thought of Lamar Valley and nowhere else.

By the way, someone posted a YouTube solve starting at Warm Creek just 3 days before the announcement, and my dumb ass thought: Wow, this dude is close (I was going out there in July). I stupidly did not download that video because it was a great solve starting exactly at Warm Creek. Of course, the video was pulled sometime close to the announcement because when I went back just a few days later, it was gone.

And yes, I am convinced that is the Finder because of the specific quotes from the Medium article that you mention.
09-28-2020, 08:05 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-28-2020, 08:15 PM by ravenhome777.)
(09-28-2020, 05:02 PM)question Wrote:
(09-28-2020, 04:05 PM)realistrealist Wrote: Osbourne Russell's secluded valley -> Lamar Valley

Yes, my friend. That Route 212 corridor was hot, and the "Me in the Middle" chapter sealed that clue (Skippy 2 years older, Forrest in the middle (I=1), and June 2 years younger). 2-1-2.

I am convinced that you solved WWWH because it the only place in the world that fits perfectly.

Where Warm Waters Halt => Where Warm Water Salt

Warm Creek halting at Soda (Salt) Butte Creek.

Nobody will ever convince me of another WWWH. There are many other references to soda and salt throughout TTOTC.

And when I first read the quote about "you can see animals", I automatically thought of Lamar Valley and nowhere else.

By the way, someone posted a YouTube solve starting at Warm Creek just 3 days before the announcement, and my dumb ass thought: Wow, this dude is close (I was going out there in July). I stupidly did not download that video because it was a great solve starting exactly at Warm Creek. Of course, the video was pulled sometime close to the announcement because when I went back just a few days later, it was gone.

And yes, I am convinced that is the Finder because of the specific quotes from the Medium article that you mention.

Good points.

So it must have been somewhere along 212 in WY:

https://imgur.com/Hbz1FPD

Is this it?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2J8daeMxIg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dINPHhijZbY

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Where FF wanted to die The_Spoiler 3 427 12-02-2021, 09:04 AM
Last Post: Anon Anon
  Places I have searched OutDoorLover777 24 11,670 05-23-2018, 10:14 PM
Last Post: Copper
  Weather/Seasons/Mystical Places/Animals Folklore Mindy 2 2,063 04-19-2018, 05:54 PM
Last Post: easternOHsteve
  Neat places to go in Northern New Mexico monkeyking 13 6,687 03-08-2018, 10:00 PM
Last Post: old drum
  Is Eric Ashby the Latest to Die Searching Festus 23 14,709 08-15-2017, 02:40 PM
Last Post: Seeker9
  new FQ: Masquerades and Special Places Chris Yates 0 1,652 05-20-2016, 08:36 AM
Last Post: Chris Yates