Not logged in. Login - Register

All new registrations need to be approved manually. After registration, mail me at tyblossom at aol dot com.
ChaseChat is available for Smartphones via Tapatalk, Download the app at http://tapatalk.com/m?id=4&referer=1048173. After installing CLICK HERE to add the forum to Tapatalk.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Unpublished FF Scrapbook Story
10-08-2020, 12:12 PM,
RE: Unpublished FF Scrapbook Story
Chains in the Church

Many years ago an old Spanish gentleman by the name of Adavadio arrived with something he wanted me to have, he said. His handsomeness had long since faded under the strain of time and the hardship of toil, and left in its place, a face full of character and wrinkled charm. I wish I could show his picture here to prove this description. I liked him instantly, and enjoyed the way he spoke English words with the rolling style of his native Spanish.

(Photo of chainmail)

Adavadio placed a box on my foyer table, and with a hand gesture, invited me look inside. Enclosed, in a crumble of brown newsprint, was a section of 17th century Spanish chainmail armour of interlocking iron rings. It measured 16 inches by 21, and weighed 3.5 pounds. I guessed it was a fragment of a Cota de Mala, one of 55 that Coronado’s Conquistadors were known to have worn into the New World in 1540.

I was pleased, and became even more so when Adavadio handed me an ink-written note that said:

(Photo of the note)

Found several feet under the ground near the walls at the ruins of the old church of the Pecos Indian Pueblo some fifty or sixty years ago by one of the relatives of the late Don Manuel Varela of Pecos town and donated to me on July 22, 1922, by Dona Marie Varela de Silva, daughter of said Don Manuel Varela and widow of the late Flavio Silva.

Signed,
Benjamin M. Read
Santa Fe, NM
July 22, 1922

I have a few hundred links of similar style chain mail that we found at San Lazaro Pueblo. In my book, The Secrets of San Lazaro Pueblo, I said that, in my opinion, after about 1600, the Spaniards were living in the same buildings, perhaps in the same rooms, with the Anasazi Indians. That was historic at the time. The proof is because there is so much Spanish material out there.

(Photo of excavated ruins)

Until Coronado arrived in 1540, there was no metal to be found. But after that time, there was just a profusion of hundreds & hundreds, thousands of pieces of metal ... needles, awls, horseshoes, strike-a-lights, lots of nails, jangles, and many religious items. Some were found with metal detectors, but a lot of pieces were picked up lying on the surface.

(Photo of metal items)

The Spanish explorers came here looking for gold. However, I think they brought more gold with them than they found. The Indians revolted against the Spaniards in 1680, but so much of the material recovered proves a close association between their two cultures.
10-08-2020, 12:27 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-08-2020, 12:31 PM by crazyfamily.)
Unpublished FF Scrapbook Story
There are lots of really cool old stories about New Mexico and the relationship of early Spaniard settlers and natives.

One story that I came across near the settlement at La Puebla in the early 20th century mentioned that there were so many Native American pots everywhere that the kids would set them up and shoot at them blasting them to pieces.

I tried to talk about the Tanos with Forrest but he kept to the script of conventional thinking. It was a little frustrating as there is a really interesting story of betrayal buried in the Spanish archives that, in my opinion, ultimately contributed to the Tanos leaving the area.
10-08-2020, 12:53 PM,
(10-01-2020, 03:16 AM)Becky from WV Wrote: Some places, like a great lithic scatter, are just too good to share with anyone. They’re like a recipe for your grandmother’s chocolate cake. You wouldn’t tell anyone about that, would you? Well, would you?

My final spot, the 7x3 foot rectangle that was back-filled with dirt, had a lithic scatter of white quartz that looked like teeth. I remember telling everyone in blogs. It faded away, like any good info out there in chats. Sure, everyone "knows where the treasure is/was," but one of us will be correct.
10-08-2020, 02:44 PM,
(10-08-2020, 12:12 PM)Becky from WV Wrote: Chains in the Church

The Spanish explorers came here looking for gold. However, I think they brought more gold with them than they found. The Indians revolted against the Spaniards in 1680, but so much of the material recovered proves a close association between their two cultures.

Fascinating. Thanks!
10-08-2020, 03:16 PM,
Video of some of the artifacts from from Becky's scrapbook. Neat stuf

https://youtu.be/Ud3WNCylLBw
10-08-2020, 07:19 PM,
(10-08-2020, 03:16 PM)Seeker9 Wrote: Video of some of the artifacts from from Becky's scrapbook. Neat stuf

Nice video. I had not seen it or those artifacts before. Thanks!
10-08-2020, 08:19 PM,
(10-08-2020, 07:19 PM)Beavertooth Wrote:
(10-08-2020, 03:16 PM)Seeker9 Wrote: Video of some of the artifacts from from Becky's scrapbook. Neat stuf

No prob BT! Those artifact videos are some of my favorites!
10-08-2020, 09:16 PM,
(10-08-2020, 08:19 PM)Seeker9 Wrote:
(10-08-2020, 07:19 PM)Beavertooth Wrote:

No prob BT! Those artifact videos are some of my favorites!
Nice find. He had quite the collection there. Exhibits a knowledge of geology and anthropology, archaeology