Not logged in. Login - Register

All new registrations need to be approved manually. After registration, mail me at tyblossom at aol dot com.
ChaseChat is available for Smartphones via Tapatalk, Download the app at http://tapatalk.com/m?id=4&referer=1048173. After installing CLICK HERE to add the forum to Tapatalk.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Chase was compromised....Period
11-03-2020, 11:01 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-03-2020, 11:02 AM by filmguy.)
The Chase was compromised....Period
Enough already.
I'm not usually the one to save face for Forrest, but he called off the chase for one reason only, it was compromised.

If Forrest didn't call off the Chase after several people dying he certainly wouldn't do it because someone was close or whatever reason you can dream up.

Don't know if the reports are true, and you can't believe everything you read on Reddit, but it seems someone hacked Fenn's account. Coming from an IT background it make sense. He gets so many emails a day I can see an old man getting numb to it all and accidentally clicking on something he's not suppose to.

Would you rather have Fenn save face, call off the chase, and make-up a finder story or have someone who broke the law, hacked into Fenn's life, and literally stole the treasure?

I didn't end the way we all wanted, but there's much worse endings possible.
11-03-2020, 12:28 PM, (This post was last modified: 11-03-2020, 12:32 PM by Beavertooth.)
RE: The Chase was compromised....Period
I don't think Forrest had any pertinent info on his computer that could be hacked. He's been paranoid about accidental disclosures for years. That mindset would have led him to scrub any pertinent info many years ago. My guess is that the computer he has been using for years was pretty much limited to emails only. IMO

Otherwise, his statement would have been "two men can keep a secret if one of them is dead -- and the survivor does not keep a hackable computer with key clues and information around".

There has never been much evidence that his correspondence, even with favored searchers, had much to reveal that would help in getting to a correct solve.

But I do think he called off the search, and I have previously posted that Covid19-related risks to searchers and their extended communities was probably the straw that broke the camel's back.
11-03-2020, 12:55 PM, (This post was last modified: 11-03-2020, 12:58 PM by EastonS19.)
Not going for it.
If his PC was hacked he would of said it was and called it off based on that.
If it was too late, he should of told everyone immediately.. Not buying your idea.
Making up a lie to cover his mistake doesn't sound right.
The key question is, when did he know his life was going to end very very soon.
And what, if any, actions did he take with this knowledge.
11-03-2020, 01:03 PM, (This post was last modified: 11-03-2020, 02:46 PM by LeadSolver.)
Calls off Chase (possibly) due to covid, asks certain people not to drop by the house, and then fearlessly banks the box on a table, anti-masking, with people in the room. Ah.
11-03-2020, 02:22 PM,
(11-03-2020, 01:03 PM)LeadSolver Wrote: Calls of Chase (possibly) due to covid, asks certain people not to drop by the house, and fearlessly banks the box on a table, anti-masking, with people in the room. Ah.

Fighter pilot to the end? People in the room at their own risk. I think of him as a libertarian, but not so much that his chase should be responsible for potentially many more deaths. He was definitely not a fool, by any means. He was self-quarantined, so probably did not think he posed a risk to others. I'm not sure when those photos were taken, by the way (early June? or much earlier?). He may not have been as aware of the asymptomatic risk of infection at that time.

But I could be wrong. Just an opinion as to what would make him change the course of the chase. I do not think there was a real finder, but I could be wrong about that, too.
11-03-2020, 02:48 PM,
No finder. I'm still trying to find where a solver gets the box in this. I can't...
11-03-2020, 04:17 PM,
(11-03-2020, 02:48 PM)LeadSolver Wrote: No finder. I'm still trying to find where a solver gets the box in this. I can't...

I agree. The weird ending was set up to avoid lawsuits. A new solver getting the treasure after Forrest said it was found would attract many lawsuits against the estate and perhaps the family. Not going to happen.
11-03-2020, 05:17 PM,
If the want to give it to me, I will announce my real name and take on every fool that comes calling. I can do this because I have the copyrighted solve & none of em will be able to take that on.
11-03-2020, 07:16 PM,
(11-03-2020, 05:17 PM)LeadSolver Wrote: If the want to give it to me, I will announce my real name and take on every fool that comes calling. I can do this because I have the copyrighted solve & none of em will be able to take that on.

I'm not sure a copyright would be worth very much in a treasure hunt where just about everyone keeps their solves secret until the end of the hunt. Many people might not be able to travel to get the chest due to health or financial reasons, etc., so they would be hesitant to publish their solve in advance.

So allowing a copyright that would have any teeth to it would be against the public good, and probably would be disallowed vis-a-vis actual entitlement to the chest. Just my opinion, and I am not a lawyer.
11-03-2020, 07:39 PM,
Any lawsuit against my copyrighted solve would have to present a better solve that uses none of my clues. It would be a complete and total crush in my favor.