Not logged in. Login - Register

All new registrations need to be approved manually. After registration, mail me at tyblossom at aol dot com.
ChaseChat is available for Smartphones via Tapatalk, Download the app at http://tapatalk.com/m?id=4&referer=1048173. After installing CLICK HERE to add the forum to Tapatalk.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Chase was compromised....Period
11-04-2020, 12:03 PM, (This post was last modified: 11-04-2020, 12:05 PM by Beavertooth.)
RE: The Chase was compromised....Period
(11-03-2020, 07:39 PM)LeadSolver Wrote: Any lawsuit against my copyrighted solve would have to present a better solve that uses none of my clues. It would be a complete and total crush in my favor.

I do not think that you fully understand what a copyright is and is not. See if you can find any successful copyright lawsuits in the arenas of "locked room" mysteries, "romance" novels, "Christmas" movies, TV shows, recipe books, Youtube "How to" videos, and so forth and so on. See if an "idea" can be copyrighted (it can't). The specific expression of an idea is not the same as the idea itself. So if the Finder's specific expression is different than yours, but makes use of all your ideas about a solve, I think the Finder would be in the clear (but could not sue you). IMO

You also should fully understand "fair use" laws/doctrines in relation to your claim that they may use "none of my clues".

I am not trying to be belligerent. I just think you may wind up wasting your time, energy, and money on a lawsuit. Even if you are right, a lawsuit seldom is worth it (except to the attorneys, many of whom will happily take your money and lead you into oblivion). I am not against you. I am against lawsuits and most attorneys.

Finally, I may be missing your point altogether. You refer above to someone suing you for copyright infringement. In that context, I agree with you that you should be in the clear. But they still would be able to use/steal your ideas.
11-04-2020, 12:26 PM,
Maybe called off because the real blaze was gone..just tossing spaghetti...lol

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
11-04-2020, 12:53 PM,
(11-04-2020, 12:03 PM)Beavertooth Wrote:
(11-03-2020, 07:39 PM)LeadSolver Wrote: Any lawsuit against my copyrighted solve would have to present a better solve that uses none of my clues. It would be a complete and total crush in my favor.

I do not think that you fully understand what a copyright is and is not. See if you can find any successful copyright lawsuits in the arenas of "locked room" mysteries, "romance" novels, "Christmas" movies, TV shows, recipe books, Youtube "How to" videos, and so forth and so on. See if an "idea" can be copyrighted (it can't). The specific expression of an idea is not the same as the idea itself. So if the Finder's specific expression is different than yours, but makes use of all your ideas about a solve, I think the Finder would be in the clear (but could not sue you). IMO

You also should fully understand "fair use" laws/doctrines in relation to your claim that they may use "none of my clues".

I am not trying to be belligerent. I just think you may wind up wasting your time, energy, and money on a lawsuit. Even if you are right, a lawsuit seldom is worth it (except to the attorneys, many of whom will happily take your money and lead you into oblivion). I am not against you. I am against lawsuits and most attorneys.

Finally, I may be missing your point altogether. You refer above to someone suing you for copyright infringement. In that context, I agree with you that you should be in the clear. But they still would be able to use/steal your ideas.

Additionally, you cannot copyright or trademark something that can be obtained publicly.
11-04-2020, 01:58 PM,
(11-04-2020, 12:53 PM)crazyfamily Wrote: Additionally, you cannot copyright or trademark something that can be obtained publicly.

I think he thinks he has copyrighted his solve (like a book or whatever), even though it has been seen publicly. Assuming he has crossed his i's and dotted his t's on this, he may have a copyright on a specific expression of his solve. Since he is partly talking about someone suing him, I am not sure exactly what the issue is (my bad -- he has probably made the point more clearly on other threads that I have not studied very well).
11-04-2020, 04:06 PM,
One time we mentioned to Forrest that we were thinking of offering eco-tours through our solution. Forrest said he hadn’t heard of eco-tours, and after I explained it to him what it was he wanted us to take him on the tour. Wish we’d had the time for that. We might still do it, though. It’s a pretty fascinating solution.
11-04-2020, 04:22 PM,
(11-04-2020, 04:06 PM)crazyfamily Wrote: Forrest said he hadn’t heard of eco-tours, and after I explained it to him what it was he wanted us to take him on the tour. Wish we’d had the time for that. We might still do it, though.

Who gets to carry the urn? Smile
11-04-2020, 04:46 PM, (This post was last modified: 11-04-2020, 04:54 PM by LeadSolver.)
The copyright is for the "fixed" process. It is very much a real thing. I copyrighted it for that reason; because I found a fixed, provable decryption, and knew it had to be claimed.
Let's say his poem is the 12 notes of a chromatic music scale (the music alphabet), and I created a song out of the arrangement of certain notes from that alphabet- that's my song.

My power as solver (granted, this solve clearly beats others) can be:
A) If I were the box finder or recipient, I could defend right to ownership through having the best decryption or thing we here call a "solve."
B) I were to CLAIM the box from someone Fenn awarded the box to, after they'd maintained a publically-stated solve of the poem, I could prove he gave me title by way of my having a better solve. He should have never put this legal-sounding clause in that poem. That's why (I think) when he wrote it, he did not envision this ending, where (I believe) he awarded it to someone who did not earn it through solving.
C) If person(s) go to TV or make money off of my found system without accreditation/payment, whether they have the box or not, I will sue or settle for a percentage.

In any situation, the better solve is protected. The reason I am doing it this way is because I suspect that people have the box, and are trying to find a way to justify to the public that they deserve it (so they can start selling it), and will attempt to reverse-engineer it to fit a place in Wyoming, and to fit Fenn's narrative. I am not allowing them to do this.

I'd suggest you familiarize yourself here, and keep a running mental note of this exact post, since the biggest real news we've had in months is the infringement of my clue. Be happy that people want to borrow this clue, as it means the community is beginning to see a real and confirmed clue by way of consensus.

My actual decryption process is automatically protected. If people want to use it for educational purposes, they'll need to have citation for my name or proof of their earlier (than mine) claim. The part they've been using is the clue that says "GP S" that runs on the 24th line down. This part was already infringed by a Facebook friend of Cowlazars, as I'd posted about earlier, plus a different person (THOR user) in a light-handed way.

What's it really worth? Probably no money in it. What it does is disallow any coattail rider from claiming any part of it as their own. Credit for first solver needs to be realized, a timeline established, and a blockage of box heirs lying about the solve. This protection will allow me, at some appropriate time, to publish a book, and to force all free re-posts of it to be removed from websites.
11-04-2020, 05:23 PM,
(11-04-2020, 04:22 PM)Beavertooth Wrote:
(11-04-2020, 04:06 PM)crazyfamily Wrote: Forrest said he hadn’t heard of eco-tours, and after I explained it to him what it was he wanted us to take him on the tour. Wish we’d had the time for that. We might still do it, though.

Who gets to carry the urn? Smile
Well, wouldn’t that be something. Forrest always knew exactly what to say, and it sure made us wonder.