Not logged in. Login - Register

All new registrations need to be approved manually. After registration, mail me at tyblossom at aol dot com.
ChaseChat is available for Smartphones via Tapatalk, Download the app at http://tapatalk.com/m?id=4&referer=1048173. After installing CLICK HERE to add the forum to Tapatalk.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Use it or lose it.
07-17-2014, 10:11 AM,
Use it or lose it.
Forrest has stated many hints and clues outside of the poem. Likely not as many as most people think since he he cannot say much without people thinking every other word is a clue or hint. Thats fine with me if people want to tarry around every word.

Is it the poem or the subtle comments/hints that have gotten you this far? Or...has the poem and the hints and the Q&A sessions combined gotten you this far. And if you are a poem purist do you even consider what he says outside the poem?

For myself I was able to move forward in the poem at one point thanks to his ?near? or "close to the top of a mountain comment". This was one of a few practically undeniable verifications that I could be in the right place. We will find out soon enough. I feel the chase has a built in check and balance system if you look for it, possesss common sense, and have a good Bull*%&*& filter.

Just an observation

Liv42dy

07-17-2014, 05:58 PM,
Use it or lose it.
Some clues I take at face value. For example, above 5000 feet but below 10,200 feet; not in Idaho, etc. Others I have to dismiss, as I have been led astray trying to follow them. I have basically turned my bull*%&*& filter up a few notches and try to ignore anything that doesn't make it through.

I am not a poem purist, but I have migrated back closer to the "all you need is the poem" statement. I do keep in mind that even though I only "need" the poem, it doesn't mean there aren't things he says that might help me out a little. I have closed TTOTC book and haven't looked at it in months.

The way I see it, nothing he has said has really helped anyone. Perhaps they got WWWH, or the home of Brown, but they probably didn't realize it once the complete solve dissolved.

I guess my point is that you will never know if his hints actually helped you unless you walk away with the chest.

scott W
07-17-2014, 09:54 PM,
Use it or lose it.
Exactly so ignoring his words can also be a mistake. From the beginning he has said study the poem and then read the book looking for clues.
Shhh they aren't listening.
07-18-2014, 06:59 AM,
Use it or lose it.
this is a good post-one of few

liv42dy- a further confirmation is his comment that an earthquake, landslide, or fire could affect the chest. so the chest must be on the side of a mountain where a landslide might occur. also look quickly down,might mean you are above the chest.

Scott w- the subtle clues in the book are only helpful as confirmation of your solve. I never could get the red, black and green teas to work, and upon reflection I think this is a not so subtle red herring that f used to confuse. he has admitted some of that is in the book. He's smiling now.

Deb-I really think that u have the most knoyledge of any of us. You can recall it instantly, and usually apply it correctly. I think that if you weren't so NM biased, you would have found the chest. Of course if I lived in NM, thats where I would have looked too.

Good luck all, Emmett
07-18-2014, 09:06 AM,
Use it or lose it.
I am a poem purist, but naturally I also take Forrest's extra hints into account when he is playing straight with us. You'd be a fool to ignore unambiguous hints like "In the Rockies North of Santa Fe," "above 5000 and below 12000 feet," "not in graveyards or outhouses," "not associated with a dam," not near a human-made trail," and "not associated with a structure," though that last one is slightly ambiguous. Most of the rest of the stuff he says is just too vague and ambiguous to be trusted. It's not terribly difficult to tell when he is giving us something concrete, vs just playing games and stirring the pot. Like Live42dy said, apply your BS filter. As far as I am concerned, the books are worse than useless. They are totally counter-productive, and I believe they were designed that way. If I could unread TTOTC and start the chase all over tomorrow totally unbiased by it, I would in a heartbeat. I always envied Seeker because he hadn't read TTOTC and his ideas weren't tainted by it. Where is he anyway? Did he find the treasure and retire to a tropical beach somewhere?

mdavis19
07-18-2014, 09:14 AM,
Use it or lose it.
Seeker has been on Dals website with recent post. Did'nt sound like he has been out with boots on as of yet.
07-18-2014, 01:11 PM,
Use it or lose it.
Let's just get this fact straight. There is no such thing as a Poem Purist. :-) EVERYONE has more than just the poem. Yes, I know that for some of us, it means trying to just use the poem and nothing else, which if that's what you mean, then why even say your a "purist" to begin with? Because you can't. But that being said, I don't think that is a bad thing. Knowing anything more about the person who hid the treasure, to me, is more a positive than a negative. And not just that, but averaging out all his comments as well and figuring out what he's really saying, when things don't make sense or seem contradictory. Because whichever way you slice it, this ain't no piece of cake. In the end, he's just a man. Myself, I'll take everything I can get. Then I'll use what I need. * I will tell you this though - if all one had was the poem and nothing else, you'd might as well stay home and play canasta.

Seeker probably has everything ff has written for all we know, but if not, he still has more than just a poem. We all do.

Good luck.

"But I'm tryin', Ringo. I'm tryin' real hard to be the shepherd." - Jules Winnfield
07-18-2014, 02:48 PM,
Use it or lose it.

<div class="bbcode_quote_head">Quote:
<b>Quote from Butch on July 18, 2014, 12:41 pm</b>

I agree to a point--although, you would be a fool to take the dam comment at face value. Am I the only poster that realizes that comment is as convoluted as the rest of his hints? I mean, what happened to your intuition, guys? Are you losing your edge?
</div>

I suspect the reason he said it wasn't associated with a dam is to prevent people from getting injured or killed. The discharge from a dam can change radically and without warning. People poking around the downstream sides of dams could easily be washed away and killed by a sudden increase in discharge. I think it is another self-serving hint from him to prevent himself from being blamed in the court of public opinion if searchers get hurt or killed. Plus it probably also means just what it says. He had no problem saying it because the treasure really isn't associated with any dam.

mdavis19
07-18-2014, 02:56 PM,
Use it or lose it.

<div class="bbcode_quote_head">Quote:
<b>Quote from Project Why on July 18, 2014, 2:11 pm</b>

Let's just get this fact straight. There is no such thing as a Poem Purist. :-) EVERYONE has more than just the poem. Yes, I know that for some of us, it means trying to just use the poem and nothing else, which if that's what you mean, then why even say your a "purist" to begin with? Because you can't. But that being said, I don't think that is a bad thing. Knowing anything more about the person who hid the treasure, to me, is more a positive than a negative. And not just that, but averaging out all his comments as well and figuring out what he's really saying, when things don't make sense or seem contradictory. Because whichever way you slice it, this ain't no piece of cake. In the end, he's just a man. Myself, I'll take everything I can get. Then I'll use what I need. * I will tell you this though - if all one had was the poem and nothing else, you'd might as well stay home and play canasta.

Seeker probably has everything ff has written for all we know, but if not, he still has more than just a poem. We all do.

Good luck.
</div>

Sure, learning about Forrest is important to helping understand the poem he constructed. But there are better ways to learn about the real Forrest Fenn than to read his self-serving and probably intentionally misleading memoirs. I only trust things written about him and that he wrote about himself from the time before he chose to hide the treasure. They paint a somewhat different picture of our dear Forrest than the carefully constructed one he wants us to see in TTOTC and TFTW with their decades long gaps in his history. So yeah, maybe I'm not the purest of poem purists. But that's ok. AFAIAC I'm just pure enough.

mdavis19
07-18-2014, 03:22 PM,
Use it or lose it.
I never said - just his memoirs. I myself, have a lot more than that. :-) It's about research. Not only of him, but also of history, geology, linguistics and so on.

And even though I use everything I can find, if I think it will help, I do try, Boy Scout's honor, to stick to just the poem. But I believe that if you're on the right track with the poem, then other things should only confirm that.

But you're fine mdavis. We all see things in different ways. Ain't it grand!! :-)

"But I'm tryin', Ringo. I'm tryin' real hard to be the shepherd." - Jules Winnfield