Not logged in. Login - Register

All new registrations need to be approved manually. After registration, mail me at tyblossom at aol dot com.
ChaseChat is available for Smartphones via Tapatalk, Download the app at http://tapatalk.com/m?id=4&referer=1048173. After installing CLICK HERE to add the forum to Tapatalk.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fire Can Scorch The Chest?
07-01-2013, 06:49 PM,
The comment about fire scorching the chest comes from an article in thedailybeast.com by Tony D. Tony states that Forrest said it in a moment of exuberance.

From the article: He told me the chest is “exposed” to rain and snow, and could be scorched in a forest fire.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/20...art-2.html
07-01-2013, 09:37 PM,
@Boo

Getting a definite answer about most things Fenn has said is difficult at best; and his stories have changed a little over time…….42 lbs. vs 44 lbs. for the weight of the chest for example.

Fenn does much of this on purpose……another example is when someone pointed out the difference in the published versions of the poem….. “answer” vs. “answers”. He could have just answered the question saying which one was a typo, but instead Fenn said one was a typo you pick which one…….This is after he said not to change his poem.

So just about everything Fenn says is subjective……..it depends on how each of us takes what he has said (how far can an eighty year old carry the chest?)…….If I listed everything he has said there wouldn’t be room for anything thing else.

As far as your fire question…….. “How much will fire affect the chest and what would the effect be?” ……Dang, I’m starting to sound like Fenn.

He said many things could affect the chest…..but the things that would affect the chest would affect just about everything in one way or another; earthquakes, fires, floods, etc. To me it was a typical non-answer…….Fenn is talking just like a politician, he talks a lot without saying anything. He said it would affect it but he didn’t say what the effect would be.

Like I said each of us have to decide what is important and what is not.
07-01-2013, 09:46 PM,
Yeah Steph, I too thought I read somewhere about him saying more about forest fires, but I can't find it either (double strange). I do have that article you linked earmarked, but I guess I scanned over it too fast. Yes, it's another ambiguous answer from old Fenn, but it does give a certain amount of info. Thanks. If anyone finds another quote alluding to forest fires (or is that Forrest fires?), please mention it here. I'm going to try to nutshell these quotes as I go.

Here's what I have so far, paraphrasing in my own words to hopefully add clarity:

1. Did Forrest say that a child could walk up to the chest? No, he stated that he supposed it would be safe for some boys to search, since an 80 year old man placed it.

http://dalneitzel.com/2013/02/11/1251/

2. Did Forrest say that a forest fire could scorch the chest? Yes and no. He stated that natural processes could complicate the search, with forest fires being mentioned as one of those processes.

http://www.hemispheresmagazine.com/2013/...the-chase/

But he was also paraphrased as stating that the chest could be scorched in a fire. You decide.

I hope this info helps more than it confuses. Boo
07-01-2013, 09:49 PM,
And thanks Goofy. You posted while I was working on my post.
07-01-2013, 10:10 PM,
@Boo

Yep we were writing at the same time.

The only thing I’ve heard Fenn say about something affecting the chest is when he was talking about putting the currency in the chest…..he said he put them in, but took them back out because he didn’t know what the effect of moisture would be on the currency. That is not a quote…..I’m paraphrasing.

I still didn’t consider that to be much, if any help.
07-02-2013, 10:58 AM,
The comment about fire scorching the chest comes from an article in thedailybeast.com by Tony D. Tony states that Forrest said it in a moment of exuberance.

From the article: He told me the chest is “exposed” to rain and snow, and could be scorched in a forest fire.

07-02-2013, 03:39 PM,
Hey, there it is, I knew I read it somewhere. Thanks jcm. Still not a direct quote from Forrest, so I don't quite know how to categorize it. I will edit my last post and put it down as a MAYBE. Thanks, Boo.
07-25-2013, 09:46 AM,
People just trying to sell inside info based on perception in the form of private conversation.Shameless Trolls !
07-26-2013, 09:42 AM,
I remember him telling us it is just waiting there and only fire could destroy it it is safe from water wind and erosion. Now where this information came from I have to look back into my notes. It may be in an article,last month! I will post it when I find it it was a 5 question article and he said directly how it was protected. So that tells us all something right there. Just wanted to get this in because it was news to me and what about his cunning and purstant quote in the Reader's

Digest article!! Cunning is quite the word in that sort of a clue. Just waiting for this Months clue. He is working on his book and I believe, in my opinion, he is ready for someone to fine the lockbox. Oh, and he said the lockbox is not locked that was also in that article or he said it recently. Anyway, he is ready to relax after finishing his latest book and not receive any more treasure related emails and just live his live and stay out of things, that is my opinion that is why he put it in Gold Prospector's Magazine because he wanted to add more of a different range of people and have someone fine the chest. Who knows what do ya'll think?
07-26-2013, 09:47 AM,
The article is in Club Thrifty and Mr. Fenn answered 5 questions just look up under Clubthrify/forrestfenn it should take you to a link. All of you may have read it by now but it was a little sprinkle of clues. Thanks, Judy